Worth repacing camshaft on a near 200k car?

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dtmwelburn, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dtmwelburn Forum Member

ive read alot about the ASV engine suffering from camshaft wear and was wondering whether its worth changing it as my car has done 180k?? or what or the telltale signs of a worn camshaft?

Was thinking of doing it as i can get a new one for 125 and its a worthwhile investment if it will prevent this failure from happening

Just realised ive been a little vague, car is a 2002 bora sport tdi 130bhp ASV, PD engine thanks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

if the old one is ok i would leave it be
    you could take the cam cover off and have a look
    but if the car has been looked after it shuold be ok ie the oil has been changed ever 12k or ever year
    the 130 ones are better then the 150's as they are less stressed

this is what you are looking for

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/122392.aspx?PageIndex=2

[​IMG]

3. dtmwelburn Forum Member

see i should of added that i am planning on having the ecu mapped to 180bhp so im assuming this may put some extra strain on things

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like a good way of blowing up a 200k mile engine...

5. dizzydubber New Member

If its not broke dont try to fix it, but with regards to a remap, id agree with the above in that it will end in tears.

6. garnetteyes Forum Member

Were you getting any top end noise? If I was taking the cam shaft out to do something else then I might at least change the cam followers but I dont know if I'd dismantle it for the sake of it.

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye the clutch will die very quickly

8. garnetteyes Forum Member

And expensive dual mass flywheel!

9. m1keh Forum Member

Clutches and dual mass flywheels die quickly mainly from using low revs and lots of throttle. If you are sensible, or get a remap that limits torque until over 2300rpm you can get away with having a bit of a tired clutch but still get alot more poke from 2300 all the way to the redline.

10. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

150bhp do seem more prone to the problem. Which is funny as the heads, lifters, injectors and cam are the same as the 130 engines.

One theory is the engines with the fault have been run on the wrong oil. It only seems to happen on some engines not all.
    So as said above if the lifters and cam are showing no wear leave it as it is.

It's quite easy to remove the cam cover and inspect the cam.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

A 150bhp engine will put more stress through all of its components than a 130bhp one. More wear in the cam isn't really very surprising.

You don't really need to remove a cam to inspect it. Just turn the engine over by hand to inspect the different parts. Star cracking on the centre of the lifters would be harder to spot with the cam lobe in the way, but more general wear should still be obvious.