would a mk3 syncro rear setup fit a mk2?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Fray16v, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Fray16v Forum Member

As the title states would this be any use for a 4wd conversion on a mk2?

And as fitting a mk3 rear axle would this increase the rear track?

only asking cause i can get hold of one for reasonable amount and it's an idea i keep toying with.

cheers guys

Geoff

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I don't know how much the rear axle setup differs offhand; I expect it's virtually identical except for track / hub differences as you say. However, not sure if you realise but the conversion will also involve changing the boot floor and tunnel.

3. Fray16v Forum Member

Cheers trev i had an idea it would fit just needed conformation from another source.

I know you can do it with using a mk3 golf tunnel as it's quite a bit taller or fabricate my own tunnel and just remove the wheel well completely.

i know i'd also have to fabricate another mounting between the rear chassis legs for the set up to mount to but my brother been a fabricator/welder for nearly 14years so it wouldn't put me off.

cheers geoff

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, I would say that having an original MK2 Syncro boot floor and fuel tank is only "essential" if you wanted it to be perfectly "OEM", but you could remove the spare wheel well instead and fabricate a box-sectional support beam as you say to mount the differential hanger. Then you would use a custom fuel 'cell' inside the car I guess.

I'm doing the underseal under mine at the moment and it's all virtually bare, so do shout for pictures or measurements.

5. Fray16v Forum Member

Cheers again Trev much appreciated for the offer.

I'v been researching this for the last year or so but the rear syncro setup is rare and bl**dy expensive so i'm going to take the parts while i'v got the chance and attempt it next year when i can afford the other parts(haldex diff, o2m gearbox).

Cheers Geoff