Would 'economy' coilovers be sufficient?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Tall Paul, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Tall Paul Forum Member

I've seen some threads recently about coilover selection at 500+ prices. I don't want to spend that much. I understand the need for top quality if the car might see a track, and/or they need to be resilient to UK weather.

However, my MK2 isn't likely to be raced and it will not be driven in the wet, so the two arguments above don't need to be considered.

I don't really need adjustment either, just fancied the opportunity to if I wanted. Would these be so bad for my application? Known manufacturer, good materials?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360113881694&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Anyone used them?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

quite a few people have them, including myself.

I bought them as they were a) cheap b) it will only be used for track days so ride not an issue c) wanted it as low as poss

If you are using the car as a fun/weekend toy then I would strongly advise buying either a decent set of shocks/springs for the same price 250ish, or save up and get better coilovers around the 600 mark or above.

PS Im pretty sure those one's you have posted are the generic one's which you can get for 150 from hot tunning on ebay if you ask nicely

3. Admin Guest

had a set of hotuning ones on a mk2 driver. dropped low, handled fine, drove fine, not overly crashy though holes rough roads etc.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

this seems like a good post to ask. Basically I will be looking to lower my mk2 again 500+ for a setup is out of the question. so would I get better handling and performance out of a budget coilover like the one in the ebay link above or just a simple lowing kit (shocks n springs) from somewhere like GSF?

5. 1982.rpd Forum Member

I know grays exhausts place fits konis for 180

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

including allignment??

7. 1982.rpd Forum Member

They said that would be all in, I didnt use them cos I just got some springs and did it myself, I am yet to get allignment done on mine