Would you buy a Cat C mk2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by slimwadey, May 17, 2014.

1. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I have the chance to get my hands on a late mk2 16v it is fully loaded with lots of runout stuff like leather and all the toys
    It has estorils on it too
    Low original 77,000 miles
    It's cat c due to hail storm damage, I know the car and its very clean
    But would you buy a Cat C car?
    I won't keep it, I want to sell it on and make a few quid
    What's it worth?
    I'll put a pic up in a bit

Sent from my Z1 Sony using sausage fingers and tapatalk

2. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Here ya go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Z1 Sony

3. Gup16v Forum Member

most mk2s have been damaged in some way or another over their life span. I think when the cars are 23 years old its to be expected. The only time I would stay away is when there is structural damage that wouldn't be worth repairing. It would be a shame for that particular one to be sent to the scrapper or be broken for parts.

If your looking to buy it to resell, then I would probably say you wont make much on it as it is a CAT C (depending on the price you get it for) and the market has unrecorded mk2s priced between 1.5K to 3.5K. Given that it has all the extras and is one of the late mk2's. You will probably make sale between those two figures. If it was unrecorded then id say you could get above 3.5k .

What's the damage like?

4. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

Damage is around 10 hail stone dents all over car, I would have our pdr man go over it and remove what he can.
    It's been sat for 2 years but runs fine, we have had it in our yard for this time so I know it's runs and drives well

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

I can get it for a VERY reasonable price..

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks nice. :)

Is it metallic black ? If you break it let me know ;)

7. madmanmart Forum Member

Had my eye on this myself :)

looks tidy

8. nealey Forum Junkie

Wouldn't bother me, you could smash a window on a mk2 and the insurance would want to write it off, in their eyes it's a 20 year old car worth very little money.

9. The_Teller Forum Member

I'd ask why it's a CAT C and not a CAT D??

CAT D uneconomical repair and CAT C is major damage but safe to repair.

10. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

It's cat c because our engineers are idiots, it was assessed over 2 years ago by a newbie, he set it cat c
    So the rest is history

11. molegti Forum Member

I'd buy it in a heart beat if the money was right.

People rightly get nervous about accident damaged cars but significant rust is just as serious if not more do. If it's straight buy it.

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Many cars in the road have had major damage and have been repaired by the insurance company. Just depends in the assessor. I'd buy it if the price is good.

13. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

My golf is recorded cat c but still bought it as it Was damaged in 2010 (21 yrs old at the time).however I think it important to know what has happened.in my case the lady who owned it prior to me reversed it into a bollard pushed in bumper and lower valance only.she thought a claim for repair was a good idea and they wrote it off.dosnt bother me and I would buy another as long as I was happy with what was damaged.im sure there's a few out there recorded with twisted chassis and all sorts.there are the ones to avoid at all cost.cosmetic damaged cars are a bargain in my view.

14. CrazedDubber New Member

My golf is also a Cat C. Written off in 2006, bought back by the previous owner and VIC'd to be then sat on his driveway for 3 years until I bought it in 2009. Chassis straight as a nail and the only visible damage was a dent in the N/S rear quarter. As the car was white, 3 door and had nowhere near as much rot as previously looked at mk2's , The fact that it was a cat C did not really bother me at all. It also meant I could haggle him down quite a bit more.

15. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I`d buy it if price is right!

16. Collie Forum Junkie

just buy it!

17. harryvr6 Forum Member

I'd buy it no problem. Incidentally how can you find out the initial cause of a vehicle being made cat c?

Ruling out contacting the previous owner, is there any way of finding out from the authorities?

Cheers, harryvr6.

18. G_Whizz Forum Member

I'd buy this just for the engine and other bits. I have 85k on mine and paid 4k but thats a mint and very original 3 owner car.

If it's a really reasonable deal then surely you'd make money by breaking it even if you didn't tart it all up and sell it on?

If you do break it, please let me know asap as would be a fair amount i'd grab off you, I'd even consider taking the whole thing of you if you'd be interested in a quick flip?!

19. The_Teller Forum Member

Buy it..... If you don't I will :thumbup:

20. Gup16v Forum Member

f**** hell, people really suggesting to break the car? it wants for nothing but a few dings knocking out. why not let somebody enjoy the car. ones like that are stupidly hard to come by.

It would be stupid to break that. I've seen cars damaged twice as bad, make it back onto the road. Buy it to sell on a as a complete car. It WILL sell, its just your profit margin wont be so good due to the recorded status.

As above if your looking for a seller, let me know, my brother might be interested in getting into a mk2 again.

murph81 likes this.