Wow prices have changed in my country for GTI's !! bit of a story and a lot of history .

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by watercooled, Jun 24, 2022.

1. watercooled Forum Member

As some know I did a full resto on a real original 87 mk2 GTI not a big deal with you guys but these cars are rare here, really sound car and only used as a town car local to me,car is passed on from the father to the son then the next son then and to the youngest ( amazing as it stays in the fathers name still ) he deregs the car for no sensible reason and puts it up for sale for fair money but I find after inspection it had a blown h/gasket ,so we prune the price down 1800NZD and settle on that,
    My son is then learning to drive and is got it nailed so we get him into my old 89 GLi he really liked it ,I said lets find a genuine GTI so the story starts here,I teach him shitloads and he was a fast learner and we worked together and changed out the mechanical BS first and it became a great fun car for him .
    Car sat under cover for around 2 yrs as my son moved up north to do a uni degree.
    Thought about it somewhat wasting away so payed my son out and decided to go into a resto ,lucky as a friend had a large shed just down our private road,perfect for a resto .
    Anyway fast forward I sell it well restored but due to dereg I had an issue getting top money for it but happy enough,new owner finishes it to a higher standard drives it for a commuter car then moves it on for 23K and sells fast......end of story but not really as it resufaced only recently for 50KNZD.

Attached Files:

2. watercooled Forum Member

Must add this as I forgot ,advertised by top end VW dealer as NZ new however it was purchased with low miles in the UK and imported that way to avoid new car duty .
    More pics;

Attached Files:

3. watercooled Forum Member

Did the headgasket and found it to be the most buggered one I have ever seen ,however after a good head cleanup all was good,exhaust flange bolts broke like carrots, all the brakes as they were really worn out ,never seen brakes that bad,new disks and pads,lots of new stuff.

Attached Files:

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The world is gone crazy.
    Used to be able to buy tatty ones in the hundreds, now they're thousands..

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

That"s why 25 years later mine's a keeper.
    More door 8v Big Bumper in fair condition. So not the best spec but it suits my humble needs to tinker ☺

Sounds like you need another project in your life?

6. watercooled Forum Member

Sounds like you need another project in your life?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean about that ? [:v:].
    However I still have Corrado resto to finish and a 1973 Porsche,these cars aren't anywhere near the amount of $$$ and time as the Golf was,getting to old for that BS now,cheers.