X drilled & grooved discs from Volksbits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Aquablue, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Aquablue Forum Member

Am thinking of getting these from Volksbits. Has anyone bought/used them or does anyone have any views as to what they are like?

Drilled & grooved brake disc & pad set for Golf 2 16v Jetta 2 16v Scirocco 16v & Golf 3 Vento 129.99 These Quality Drilled & Grooved complete 4 x disk & Pads sets fit Golf 2 Jetta 2 16v 09/1989 on (with 256mm vented disks)(Chassis no 1GZK240000 on) Scirocco 16v (with 256mm vented disks) Golf 3 Vento 1900 TDI 1996> (with 256mm vented 4 stud disks) Golf 3 Vento 2ltr not GTI (AFN engine) 1996> (with 256mm vented 4 stud disks) Golf 3 Vento 16-1800 1996> (with 256mm vented 4 stud disks) (V615301) Remember to order your pads at the same time.<javascript:history.go(-1)> <javascript:history.go(-1)>&nb sp;<../ccartima ges/1111836222.jpg> <../ccartimages/1111836222.jpg> (click above for larger image)&nbs p;
    Price&nbs p;129.99

IDVWBDS008&n bsp;

Am also possibly thinkong of changing the pads for green-stuff ones.
    Edited by: Aquablue

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is that for all 4 corners or just the front? If it's just the front, the GSF/ECP are cheaper, although I don't know what the quality comparison would be like.

No sense in buying a kit with pads in, and then buying other pads too...

There was a big debate about EBC greenstuff pads on here a while back. Do a search in the Chassis section.

3. Aquablue Forum Member

It's for discs & pads for the whole car. I know what you mean about ending up with 2 sets of pads, but the price for the complete set is very good and I can always sell the set I don't use.

4. Davs Forum Member

or save them till you need them

5. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I used crossdrilled discs and had to take them off a few months later when cracks started appearing in the holes leading out towards the edge of the disc.
    Only used grooved discs after that.

Just a thought you should consider.

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

X-drilled discs after 2.5K miles and one track day
    [​IMG]

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Iv'e changed mine twice under warranty too

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I usually make mine myself. I never go bigger than 5.5mm and put a decent coutersink into it to reduce the stresses around the hole, also I never go to far out towards the edge.
    Worst I've had is minor cracking(about 1mm out) after nearly 10k miles.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Im using TSR 285mm (black diamond) i think? which seem to be lasting now.

edit: lots of last minute breaking too
    Edited by: fthaimike

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

if the quality is the same as their other stuff....then leave em [:x]

11. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah good point, the Volks h it stuff is cheap as f ek [:x] The quality isn't up to much on most of their stuff.

edited...bloody swear filter, I'm 30 not 3 [:x] , christ even a 12yr olds language is worse than most, sort it out!
    Edited by: Hotgolf

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

I cant complain because the last time i had a problem with a cracked disc they replaced it without any hassle.

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

thing is you dont want cracked discs...even if they replace it with another poo one

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

cant remember what make the ones i had that cracked but these are a different make & so far seem ok

15. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Quick answer you want.
    They don't even do decent indicators that don't leak (Personal experience) so why trust them on brakes.

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

because iv'e been using them for the last 8 yrs?

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Think we're getting confused here.

Nordoff is reffering to Volksbits.

Mike is reffering to TSR? :p

Drilled discs are shit, they all crack eventually, even the Porsche ones have been known to and they're cast not drilled.

I use VAG plain discs and other than looks (pointless anyway) I can't see any reason why you you would need to use anything else, I've had a set of 44 G60 VAG front discs on my car since last April, still not worn to min thickness and that's with using race pads on numerous track days.

Yes, I know in your case Mike you have to get the TSR discs for your 285mm conversion.

and breathe. [><]
    Edited by: GVK

18. Supa_s1ngh Forum Member

i read somewhere that using drilled discs on road cars isn't suggested as to keep them frm warping or the stop crack appearing you have to use them at sustained temps for long periods of time hence using them on track cars or fast road cars...

19. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

Interesting. I used Black Diamond drilled for fast road and track for many miles and thought they were superb, I always used Ferrodo DS2000 pads with them and there was no fade...

When they got a little thinner a few small cracks started appearing at the outer edge, but nothing serious.

I'm using the Volks Bits disks all round with green stuff front pads and the performance is adequate, but I'm just waiting for my new wheels to be delivered and then I'll be on plain 305mm disks :)

Brunty

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

which is what mine were like when they were replaced, not big cracks but lots of small cracks at the edge.

yeah sorry for the confusion above, was talking about the tsr 285mm jobbies which were ok for me.

edit: gary what do you think of the grooved only discs?

& has anyone heard of the grooved drum brakes you can get (mk1 application ;)).
    Edited by: fthaimike