xbox 360 and wii HD

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Steve B, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

so im soon to be getting a 1080p HD TV and im trying to figure out the best way to connect all my stuff to get the best resolution from my xbox etc, there aloads of wires and things for them and im a little confused

the tv comes with 2x scart, 3xhdmi (one at front or side i think) and componant

this is a pic i found

[​IMG]

will the xbox do 1080p through componant / composit whatever it is (the one pictured above) i dont think my xbox has the hdmi out, would a better choice be to get one of those hdmi converter things? that allows me to plug a hdmi cable in? will that do 1080p ?

will the Wii do 720p over composit? would it be best to have the scart converer on the end or do i require a conversion cable for that aswell?

cheers

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. craggsy Forum Member

I beleive 360 will only do 720p thro component 1080p thro hdmi.
    Always thought wii was not HD but wait to be put in place tho

3. Steve B Forum Junkie

after a bit of googling craggsy, looks like your right it does 480p which i assume is pretty much SD i suppose the componant cables should give a better qality picure, but are they really worth 12...?

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

i donn't think the wii is hd.

i just had to buy a hdmi cable in order to do full high definition through a ps3, 1080p for blueray and 720p for games.

I would have thought that as the xbox 360 is hd you'd need a cable that goes from the xbox to a hdmi port.

composite cables are still analog whereas hdmi is full digital.

tried our ps3 with components cable with blueray dvds and the picture is awful compared to hdmi!!

5. craggsy Forum Member

360 is HD...just not 1080p thru component ONLY HDMI

6. craggsy Forum Member

Its gonna give it a bit better picture id of thought.....and yes 480 is SD

7. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I didn't say 360 wasn't HD and I also said that component won't do HD...and only HDMI will...

8. Steve B Forum Junkie

well i know for a fact that i can get 1080i from composit and from the internet it seems on xbox elite without hdmi, you can get 1080p through composit but not from hd-dvd discs (but who cares about them anyway)

apparently most games on the xbox run at 720p anyway. sounds like whatever way i do it i dont need to worry too much. maybe i should by a ps3 for blue ray and free online and full hd! lol

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

yes, you should :lol:

ps3 FTW :thumbup:

there's an interesting site I found the other day where someone has bothered to list tgames which are native 1080p, most the xbox state 1080p, but aren't the native resolution. http://www.makeyougohmm.com/20070721/4652/

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

11. KieranC Forum Member

i believe the xbox only does 720p internally and upscales to 1080 so there's no real advantage to turning it up. the wii does only do 480p but it's a little bit crisper than the standard cables, the component cables are 9 from ebuyer so worth it IMO. wii on component, xbox on hdmi FTW

12. tillzter New Member

You could always run the xbox via a VGA cable if your pc supports a VGA socket that gives true HD also ;)