Xbox Live

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by golfgtd, Jul 31, 2007.

1. golfgtd Forum Member

Does anyone know how i can get my xbox 360 to connect to xbox live. Im using a lan cable, connecting from xbox to pc, but i cannot get the xbox to connect to xbox live. Can anyone help?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. gorilly Forum Member

3. golfgtd Forum Member

Thanks buddy, I have actually signed for a new orange broadband which comes with a free router, i am being impatient to play Forza 2 online

4. m47k Forum Member

when you get your live working hock me up m47k get good racing going
    also i i just used a enthra cable straght into my network port on my desktop and worked straght away bu my laptop wont let me get my connection so ill be taking gorilly advice and also thanks for that link

5. gorilly Forum Member

no probs if you need help setting up router then just let me know

ive done a few orange routers, pretty good imo...

6. golfgtd Forum Member

I've just signed for another orange broadband, which came with orange livenet. What a confusing thing that is. It came with a cd rom but no software, i've just found out that the manual installation guide was slightly wrong, but i can only check this evening.

7. gorilly Forum Member

i never use the cd roms with routers... ever. i think you have to with orange though

8. golfgtd Forum Member

So far im not impressed. It had better be excellent to make me forget about installation problems

9. golfmanuk Forum Member

Hey all just thought id add my opin personally i HATE ADSL i had sky and i had nothing but problems with them, this being the router loseing its ip afddress ETC in the middle of a game so just got virgin alot more stable then adsl

lol add me on live

golfmanuk
    get a little race goin and stuff

10. golfgtd Forum Member

I'll have my highly modified mk2 on there once ive sorted the set up on it, it understeers really badly

11. Neorion Forum Member

normally the loss of connection is equipment not syncing with the network hench the drop, it then has to re "handshake" with the network and of it goes again.

remember that the adsl netowrk is mainly owned by BT so no matter who you go with you are more than likely with BT but pay your bill to x company.

unless you are lucky enough to be in a cable area....then you are truly lucky [:*:]

12. golfmanuk Forum Member

aye im in the "WOW THATS FAST" area lol at the virgin advert

13. golfgtd Forum Member

I was on the phone to orange last night for 41 mins trying to sort out my broadband connection. The woman I was talking to did not listen to a word I was saying, kept on saying things I already knew. Then she said that I had to wait 1-2 days for the broadband transfer to work properly. She was useless and she must have been at a call centre in afghanistan or somewhere, the call wasnt exactly clear all the time

14. gorilly Forum Member

i dont want to sound nasty or anything but it took about 30 mins for me to do (and im talking about registering this code the lady had... the actual set up took a few minutes) the first time i came across orange, the router has main settings you cant edit (IIRC) so there is not much you can get wrong, 9 out of 10 times its not the isp which is at fault but the user and 'its easy when you know how'- its not oranges, or any other isp's problem that users 'dont know how'

which bit are you stuck on, let me know?

15. golfgtd Forum Member

Its the @ sign flashing slowly, apparantly I have to wait 1-2 days for it to be constant

16. gorilly Forum Member

off the top of my head ive no idea what the @ symbol means and i cant find a manual online to find out but i imagine

! means its going to explode
    @ means internet connection / activity (when it flashes)
    >> will probably be Ethernet activity
    C (phone symbol) is when your on the phone / phone rings
    and the wand is wireless

Please do not use the usb port, use the ethernet port

on your pc click on start, click on run, in run type in CMD, a black box will pop up, in that black boy type IPCONFIG and press enter

the default gateway address will be your livebox (will be something like 192.168.1.1)
    once connected open your web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 (or the address of your livebox

once in there check the settings are correct for example

Username and Email Address

Your broadband username, which you should use when connecting to the Internet is in one of the following formats:

yourname.orangehome.co.uk@fs

You chose the 'yourname' segment when you registered with Orange,

Please note: @fs should not be used in email or webspace settings

Your email address is your choice of name, followed by the '@' sign and your email username, eg mail@yourname.orangehome.co.uk

You can use as many email addresses before the '@' sign as you like, eg bob@yourname.orangehome.co.uk, elizabeth@yourname.orangehome.co.uk and paul@yourname.orangehome.co.uk.

To access your email online: http://email.orange.co.uk/

Advanced Settings

Server Settings

The address of the Orange POP mail server is: pop.orangehome.co.uk
    The address of the Orange SMTP mail server is: smtp.orangehome.co.uk
    Do not use secure password authentication to access mail

IP address

Your IP address is allocated dynamically via DHCP- you do not need to set this. Orange are unable to offer a static IP address.

DNS

Domain name service is dynamic - but if domain name server (DNS) addresses are required, you should use:

195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.95 .... although personally i would use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 - gorilly

Dial up FTP and HTTP proxy settings

Address: http://www-cache.orangehome.co.uk:8080
    Port Number: 8080

Router settings

If you choose to use an Ethernet modem / router, the correct connection settings are:

encapsulation: PPP over ATM

multiplexing method: VC-Based

virtual circuit: VPI=0 VCI=38

modulation: Multi mode

authentication: CHAP

it sounds like a lot but it will take you ten minutes... i got those settings from some orange broadband help site.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  17. golfgtd Forum Member

I gave up on the livebox and reconnected my speedtouch modem. I have connected the ethernet cable to my pc and xbox 360. My pc recognises that theres a local network connection and says theres connection, but i cannot get the xbox 360 to connect to the internet

18. gorilly Forum Member

click

start

control panel

network connection

right click on LAN / local area connection

click properties

click advanced tab

click internet connection sharing

go from there

19. golfgtd Forum Member

I've now made it for sharing, both the pc and xbox are showing they are connected, but the xbox keeps failing on the IP test. It says the pppoe has failed, i tried typing in my broadband account info into it, but still nothing

20. gorilly Forum Member

are you using a cross over or a patch cable?