xenon - bulb gone- garage can't replace!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by del_monte, Mar 8, 2010.

1. del_monte New Member

...hi - my local friendly mechanic is a bit stuck replacing a xenon bulb (dipped) on my mkIV "Wolfburg Edition" golf GTI. ....he can't physically get the housing off, and suggested he might need to take off the front bumper to get in that way.

He also said the bulbs were f. expensive.

- any advice out there on how to physically change the bulbs, and whether searching online might yield cheaper/good bulbs?

ta muchly!
    del_monte-

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

there will be guides on the mk4 sites, they need guides to check the oil level so youll find a guide for this

you MAY be able to get your hand behind there (is it near side of off side?)

the bulb, just get a pair of HID bulbs off ebay. you can choose the fitment and colour/temp.

ps dont go higher than 6000k unless you want to look like a berk

3. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

D2S bulbs sound filmar fitment, they're changable in situ but can be a right pain.
    the transformer / control unit has to come off. For the time spent you can get the bumper on and off in 20 mins & light out

by any chance it's not right side one gone?? seen that loads of times and also get it on my own just in cold weather!