xenon headlight prob

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by moffatt, Oct 27, 2011.

1. moffatt Forum Member

got a mk2 16v that has xenon headlights fitted when i bought it,the prob with them is the drivers side light starts to flicker and then goes out,if i turn the lights off and then back on the light comes on and then after a few minutes starts to flicker then goes out.could do with a few ideas where to start checking,if the lights were fitted to the same standard as all the othere jobs the lad who had it before me did it was probably a bodge job,any pointers would be appreciated.

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Had the same thing on a BMW, it was a poor contact on one of the wiring connectors to the ballast as mentioned, remade the connection and it's been fine since

3. moffatt Forum Member

think i may trace the wires to check the connections,as i said the car was a bit of a bodge when i got it

4. moffatt Forum Member

are the ballast the small box the wires from the bulbs go to.and if so are they earthed through the bodywork as they seem to be loose,they are riveted to the inner wing but not very tight

5. mexicorich Forum Member

Won't they be an MOT fail anyway in a couple of weeks time?