xenon/HID headlights advice

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Matt82, Dec 2, 2008.

1. t'mill Forum Member

Nope, no approval stamps or endorsements!

Chuffin' good bulbs though [:D]

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

theyre in. i got 4300k, 35w, H1 cheapo 38-a-set from ebay.

hiding the balast was a bit of a pig bit its done.

theyre in the hella twins so behind a projector. the cut off is very good. i can tell theyre aimed a little low as the cut off seems to be at the top of people's rear bumper, so they could come up a bit.

the pattern is a horizontal line with a flick up on the left hand side of each beam. ill have to look up how theyre meant to be aligned

on dipped beam alone i can safely do 80mph along a pitch black b road now.

colourwise mine are white so it all looks normal

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

mine has the twin peaks thing. is that normal?

i thought it was meant to have a flick but only on the left hand side

4. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Both beams should `flick` up as I understand it.

They do on mine, and on the Polo which has factory lights.

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

yes both lamps should flick up. you need to do the beam setting at 10m. find a flat wall and floor, park the front of the car up against the wall and mark in line with the centre of the bulb (horizontal and vertical). then look to see if the lights quote their dip (cars its normmaly 1% so if theres no quote just use that) then mark a line 10cm down from the centre of the bulb (or 12cm if its a 1.2% dip etc)

now move the car back 10m and see where the beam lies, it should now sit on the lower line and the kick should start at the centre line, adjust as needed.

HIDs tend to give lots of scatter, projectors as you now have are better but still illegal as they dont have self leveling suspension, head light washers or have been approved for use with HIDs.. but there ya go :p at least you have had the sense to get the correct lenses to help things.

To James mk2, lots of diff folk selling these quote the different colours, but they are mostly crap. I have seen folks quoting 12k!! these should be purple!!! but they arent

[​IMG]

you can look at 10 different sites and they will all give different figures, but 4300k is about the limit of halogen bulbs before you start adding filters and other gasses, this is a slightly yellowy white white, but more white.

5000k~ is what you would precieve as pure white, then when you get to 6000k you are starting to add a slight blue tint, but again it depends on the bulb and the quality of the xenon gas put in there as there are many grades going from poo to very pure and the quality of this will change the colour too. (OEM lights are normally around 4500k or so, but the projector lens refracts the light which is why when a car follows you with them it appears to change colour and also you get rainbows at the beam edge, this also happens with normal bulb lights through a projector too).

I have been playing with some 6000k hids and these give a very white light so I suspect they are more like 5500K, but I have also seen ones quoted as being 4300K which are too quite white really...closer to OEM.

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

you can also get Z beam lamps... where the flick goes flat, but this is mainly for the french :lol:

[​IMG]

This also shows the rainbow as mentioned above (and its lhd btw)

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

Sounds good, glad your happy with them. Get some night shots to see what they're like.

Any pics of the wiring/ballast per chance so I can compare to the 39 set I bought from the a different seller? Probably the same stuff

8. Doddsy Forum Member

Is this for a MK2 mate?

9. lufbramatt Forum Member

thats actually for a mark 3 passat, slightly different setup to a mk2, although you can get the same Hella DE projector light setup for the mk3 golf, same light units but in a different housing. Not sure if you can get anything like it for a mk2 tbh.

Got mine second hand as Hella have stopped making new ones :(

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so is it a hella DE that we have in our hella twins?

ive not got any pics yet of the beam in the dark but im pretty happy with it. just need to tweak the alignment

the ballasts on mine are hidden under the top fo the slam panel.

one of my lenses are cracked. good luck finding another!

11. Doddsy Forum Member

Oh well no HID for me then - I'm not butcherin projectors to fit so it'll have to be some nice bulbs and new loom. I've got the quad lights and the inner fogs really do light the road up, good for the country roads etc. I'm waiting to see if Gareth gets his plan to manufacture mk2 headlight looms off the ground.

Cheers.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the inner ones are for main beam i think. a good set of bulbs and a new loom should sort the dipped nicely if my lil red mk2 was anything to go by

13. Doddsy Forum Member

roger that, the inner - main/fog/floodlights are pretty strong anyway. No worries on the country roads with them. One thing I can't understand is people who take them out presumably to make it look better - crazy!

I prefer a car that looks absolutley standard but has it all the extras hidden. I still have my original steel wheels on. All the mods I do are to improve the drive rather than looks.

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the inners are on main beam, so when you put full beam on the inner lights come on too.

fit some good qality bulbs and make some uprated wiring looms (its dead easy!! if you really picky make one for each set ie a dip, main and the inner lights) that will be fine,

HIDs in H4 headlights are even worse than in H7s

15. Steve B Forum Junkie

just thought id ad that they dont always have to flick up, on audi tt projectors the left light flicks up but the right light is level all the way along

I used genuine audi bits for mine not sure what k they are but they are not very blue. keep meaning to do a comparison of warm up times between oem and chepo ebay quite a difference and the cheapo ones are so much louder

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143499&page=3

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

they will be 4500k thats vws normal stock I believe

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive ordered me some osram nightbreakers to go in the main beam lights. once those are aligned properly ill have the best lights ever

perfect for melting the retinas of people who cut you up

[​IMG]

18. lufbramatt Forum Member

now relay the fogs so that the front fogs come on when you turn the main beams on

= death to teh retinaz

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have no fogs [:s]

i cannot be a true essex-er and drive about with any fogs on [:^(]

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

pattern and colour on mine. its a bit whiter in real life i think. that pic was before i aligned them too