Xenon lamps for MKIV

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stephenwwright, Dec 9, 2003.

1. stephenwwright New Member

Bought some uprated Main beam bulbs for my mark iv with xenons. I cant fit then as it says in the workshop manual I have to remove the front bumper and then go to the VW dealer to have my headlights realigned. Anybody know an easier way?

2. mk3anniversary Forum Member

I fitted some std bulbs to a mk4......I'm sure I did it from the back of the light

3. stephenwwright New Member

Yes it is easy to fit bulbs to the Std headlight assemblies. Unfortunately the Xenon headlamp units have large electronics units on the back of the assemblies which leave no access.

Thanks anyway

4. Matt H New Member

How difficult is it to upgrade to xenons? Can you just get the headlamp units and slot in or is there more to it?

5. stephenwwright New Member

The Xenon lamps were fitted as a factory option and have integral high voltage units affixed to the rear of the assemblies hence my problem fitting uprayed main beam bulbs. Not sure if you can fit them 2nd hand but best of luck. They will be expensive,they were a 700 option.

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

There are some legal aspects to fitting Xenons also.

They must have a self leveling system and have high pressure washers to go through the MOT.

The self leveling system incorporates arms and sensors in the front and rear suspension, so its a job to fit all the parts.

I have heard that Hella are working on (or already make) Xenon conversions with the leveling system actually within the headlamp unit, which might be worth looking into.

7. stephenwwright New Member

The factory standard ones have all that, as I said good luck to Matt H if you are trying to upgrade.