XP2 internet problem after hibernation?.

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by KeithMac, Jul 26, 2007.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`ve got XP SP2 running on a 2gig ram maching, 40gig XP partition (only 5 used), I run a cable modem via lan on aol.

My problem is that after hibernation, 1/2 the time I can`t get Internet Explorer to connect, even though my connection to AOL has been made (set automatically in internet options), I don`t think this used to happen much when running 512mb of ram but could be wrong?.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter, the AOL connection shows it`s active and connected, but IE can`t see it, only option for me then is to re-start windows.

I don`t have any AOL software on the computer and it`s a recent install.

Any ideas?.

Cheers, Keith.

2. vegabass Forum Member

Is AOL ADSL? You may need to reconnect (username and password for AOL). Either that or perhaps your network card isn't initialising properly during wakeup. Power management is dodgy at the best of times to be honest.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

It`s onboard LAN on the motherboard and the AOL is conected by a cable modem via the LAN port, I`m sure this didn`t happen before I put the 2gig memory in there but it doesn`t make much sense.

4. andypaterson Forum Member

My advice would be to avoid hibernation, standby etc. Just power down the monitor, or turn the PC off!

After hibernation, if the itnernet is not working, can you right click on the Network icon and select repair...does that then make it work?

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Sometimes (quite rare but) in AOL after powering down i have to go into control panel/network connections & right click on the modem & choose disable then unplug the modem cable, reboot, plug in cable & wait, then go back into properties and enable modem.

If this doesn't work i change the last two things: enable modem then plug in cable.

6. Valveless Forum Member

check your network adapter in device manager, goto the power managment tab and make sure the "turn off device to save power" is not selected.

There's also an Advanced tab with some "wake" options in there, make sure they're enabled.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cheers for the ideas, I`ve turned off power-saving mode for the network adaptor, see if it makes any difference.