Yellow lights

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Mk2Jens, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Mk2Jens New Member

Helloo all I have got a question about yellow lighting.

What I want to do is have my foglights and spotlights have lovely french-style yellow shine to them. So clear glass, but with a yellow shine. For the spotlights I found these sort of yellow covers which do indeed give that yellow shine. For the foglights I have not been able to find something like this yet. Or would actual yellow bulbs do the same trick? Since the lights themselves won't be used a lot anyway I don't really care if they give bad light or not.

Would love to hear past experiences/ideas on this.

Cheers

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

3. Mk2Jens New Member

Well that's actually what I don't want to do. This just makes the entire glass yellow. What I have in mind is a yellow shine through the clear headlight.

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Given the high temps from a quartz bulb no plastic film or coating is going to work. The French cadmium bulbs that lasted would have used a yellow glass. Painted coatings soon peeled off. The later quartz bulbs used a larger yellow glass cover to colour the light, but that made the whole bulb unit bigger which again won't work in the small Golf foglight.

Are they H3 bulbs? In that case searching ebay for "H3 yellow bulbs" brings up things such as this....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254502422792?hash=item3b4186c908:g:z-kAAOSwq1leOE7y It says 3000K which isn't really yellow but the photo and description says otherwise!

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

To the best of my knowledge- yellow headlights are illegal (they certainly were at some point in the UK but it would be best to check first)
    As h8v said regardless of legality, a coating of any kind will get cooked from the heat of halogens

Yellow fog lights are no issue - if you can locate them you can get genuine yellow replacement covers for the fog lights - there is a left one on eBay but I don’t see a right side but if you can wait, one will eventually turn up and won’t be cheap of course

Edit: I’ve just realized the fog lights on my ‘90 190e are yellow - I believe that’s done by a yellow/gold reflector within the light

6. H8V

h8v Forum Member

costel1969...I knew yellow was OK 40 years ago (I reasoned that yellow would make my car more noticeable while overtaking on those 3-lane roads where the centre lane was for overtaking. The younger you are the more essential it is to overtake!) but you made me check to see and it's still OK.

From this govt document....https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...s/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

4.1.4. Compliance with requirements

The colour of the light headlamps emit must be one of the following:
    • white
    • predominantly white with blue tinge
    • yellow
    In a four-headlamp system the outer headlamps do not need to emit the same colour light as the inner pair.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

8. Mk2Jens New Member

yeah they should be H3 bulbs, I wonder if it then gives out the particular shine in it which I’m after. Most I’ve seen with the yellow shine are these covers..

9. Mk2Jens New Member

Should be legal in the Netherlands, so that’s no worry. That’s just the entire glass yellow, I actually want the yellow shine behind the fog light. I’ve seen this being achieved by covers over the bulbs, but not sure if it is achievable with actual yellow bulbs.

10. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

H3 yellow bulbs on ebay.
    When I had blue tinged glass bulbs in other cars they usually have a blue hue showing in the reflector when not on if that's what you want to achieve.
    Tamiya model paints are available in clear colours and have used them years ago for tinting bulbs for indicators as couldn't get short bulbs to fit in early minor sidelight assembly.
    Could take the lenses off the lamps and tint reflector part and reassemble, either film or paint, or even a piece of clear yellow perspex behind the glass similar to a clear indicator conversion.

11. Mk2Jens New Member

Yeah don’t want to go to the faff of painting and all that stuff. I think yellow bulbs will be the way to go for me. Thanks!

12. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I stand corrected Brother.

h8v likes this.