yellow wire

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by nme motorsport, Aug 29, 2011.

1. nme motorsport Forum Member

on my mk3 cab i have a yellow wire that has been cut it looks like it runs to the left hand stalk but everything looks like its working any ideas

2. nme motorsport Forum Member

i also do not have a switched live at the radio just a constant supply

3. danTbone Forum Member

im sure vw didnt have switch live

4. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'm not sure about cabrios, but on mk.3's the radio enable lead, switched from the key cylinder, is Brown-red. This Yellow wire, if it's quite thick, is probably the '56b' wire for dipped-beam headlamps. If the car has the Gti-type '2-chamber' headlamps as original equipment (using 2 H1 bulbs in each) then the yellow wire to the dip-switch isn't crucial.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah mk3s all have key-in-ignition live for the stereo, cabrios definitly have it as its required for the roof to work properly. does your lights on buzzer work? if so the wire to the fusebox from the ign switch is definitely there.

as above check for a brown/red wire to the stereo plug

6. nme motorsport Forum Member

cant say i have heard the buzzer to be honest i will nip out and check

7. nme motorsport Forum Member

just checked and no buzzer when lights are left on if this helps

8. rubjonny

it should buzz if lights are on and door open, but only with the key out. that is if someone hasnt removed the warning buzzer #36 :)

either way look for the thin red/brown wire from the switch and follow it back to the fusebox, look for it behind the radio as well

9. nme motorsport Forum Member

well i have checked the wire the brown and red there is continuity between the radio and roof switch and also the brown and red off the ignition switch but no power seems to be getting to roof or radio ???/

10. rubjonny

have you got your wires the right way round, the red wire on aftermarket stereo is ign live, yellow is live. also black is earth :)

you should see power at the radio red/brown wire as soon as the key is inserted. if you do the problem is the radio or wiring to it

11. nme motorsport Forum Member

I think there has been a little confusion as I started the thread regarding a yellow wire that came off 1 of the stalks but then the radio/roof switch ignition live got added I have a perm live at radio but no switched live

12. rubjonny

as i said, check for a key in ign live to a red/brown wire on your stereo plug.

then check the loom that came with your stereo, on the ISO looms yellow is live, red is ign live. so make sure these are the right way round on your stereo loom.

vw stereo plug has these 2 wires switched compared to standard iso wiring, this is why most stereos now have bullet connectors on the 2 live wires so you can switch then round

13. nme motorsport Forum Member

i defo have a constant live but no switched do you know where in the fuse box it meets there is no break in the wire as its got continuity just no power relay may be as the switched live to roof also doesnt work again continuity thanks

14. rubjonny

the power comes from the ign switch, so if it has continuity from switch all the way to radio its the switch that has gone

15. nme motorsport Forum Member

thanks pal