Yet another 1.8t Mk2 Golf - My first project - Margaret

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Crsb, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Crsb New Member

So i've decided to convert a GTI 16v into a 1.8t with minimal mechanical knowledge, ive been reading up on this for the last 12 months and it really dosnt seem that hard...for now.

My base car is a 1991 Mk2 GTI 16v, it does seem a shame to do this to a 16v but the car came at a good price with a lot of service history, a pretty decent shell and has all the things i need. The car is on just over 190k and the interior is in mint condition, the outside however has a few small problems, hundreds of stone chips, standard patch of rust in the corner of the windscreen (tiny patch), a couple of small rust holes near the drivers jacking point and a rusty boot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have also bought the 1.8t AGU engine with all the ancillaries, loom and gear box.

[​IMG]

picked up an intercooler aswell

[​IMG]

and a Corrado pedal box, a boot from the scrappy and a 1.6 carb throttle cable

My goal is to get the car on the road for 3500

Progress will be slow due to the nature of my job but hopefully ill have her road worthy by the end of february
    I will be taking the 16v engine out near the end of the month to start work on the engine bay, whilst i am doing this the AGU engine will be being looked over by my local mechanic, having a service, new cam belt, alternator belt and i will probably get the head gasket done.

i know im going to hit some road blocks with this so any help will be greatly appreciated! [:D]

The shopping list so far
    Mk2 Golf GTI 16v - 800.00 - Gumtree - Used - Needs some rust sorting and engine bay cleaning and parts Hammerited
    Engine, Gearbox etc - 600.00 - eBay - Used - Engine with all ancilleries 2000 MK4 GTI AGU 109k
    Corrado pedalbox, Slave and Master cylinder - 102.00 - eBay - Used
    Intercooler - 64.50 - eBay - New
    Throttle Cable - 18.94 - New - eBay - from a 1.6/1.8 Carb
    Boot - 40 - Used - Scrappy

Total - 1625.44
    Goal - 3500

2. watercooled Forum Member

That will be a nice car for conversion,reckon you have all the right bits,best of luck.

3. JWYATT Forum Member

Good luck its a fun swap ! missing the 2-3am finishes ha ,

Id leave the headgasket if its not gone/signs of it, its all settle in and ran good i assume so leaves any head scratching

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

All the best with the conversion. :thumbup:

You'll love it. The 20vT feels great in a MK2. Ive also got that same intercooler which has been great. Its the silicone hoses and piping which adds up quickly, but your budget seems more than enough.

Will keep an eye on your build mate, and will help where i can. :thumbup:

5. DuBAndy Forum Member

Good luck! What engine management will you be using? OEM? Qpeng? Emerald?

I'm about 3 quarters through my conversion... 18months so far & lol. I bare not not count it up. Very do-able within that budget though.

6. JWYATT Forum Member

I have receipts of 6k from VW alone ha u can easily get carried away with the parts , once I made the rotisserie for the shell just went new everything ,

Mk2 and a 20v does feel great !

Not driven a mk2 VR so not sure if its better but the lose of traction is always a laugh

7. Crsb New Member

Cheers all! ill be starting it between christmas and new year, or the early new year.

I will be using OEM management, ive seen the how too guides and i have the VAG workshop manuals so im going to try and do it myself and if i fail i have a friend whos very handy with wiring! the only reason ive set that budget is thats how much you can get an Audi S4 for and as fun as that would be, running it, insurance and parts would be hideously expensive!

8. Crsb New Member

Its been a while since the last update,
    Couldn't really do a lot as the warehouse at my work was full up unfortunately, but i did get a G60 flywheel, VR6 clutch and pressure plate for 100! and a Stainless Scorpian backbox, decat pipe and centre silencer, for 30! Bonus! (all 2nd hand)

The pipes on the backbox are a bit big, but for 30 i dont mind ha
    [​IMG]

So yeah first the Golf wouldn't start
    [​IMG]

Then when it did start we started taking the engine out!
    [​IMG]

Almost got the thing out, but like the pro mechanic i am, i forgot my spline tools for the drive shaft! Luckily on one of the driveshafts only 1 bolt was tight and the other 5 were either finger tight or not screwed in at all! good job i didnt drive it much! [:|]

Ive sourced a place to get the ECU de-immobilised, this will happen next payday
    I will be getting the Fly wheel lightened within a week, still unsure wether to have 3 or 4KG taken off
    Ill be getting the driveshaft flanges on saturday
    Sourced an E30 Radiator off a mate
    Just about to order a fan
    Im getting the cambelt done on monday
    and the downpipe will be bought after payday

Can anyone help with engine mounts, looking around theres so many different answers, ive heard the 20vt fits on the 16v mounts so im gona try it out and see how it goes

Ill put up another update once the engines out and you can see some of the lovely rust patches!

Still WAY under budget [:D]

The shopping list so far
    Mk2 Golf GTI 16v - 800.00 - Gumtree - Used - Needs some rust sorting and engine bay cleaning and parts Hammerited
    Engine, Gearbox etc - 600.00 - eBay - Used - Engine with all ancilleries 2000 MK4 GTI AGU 109k
    Corrado pedalbox, Slave and Master cylinder - 102.00 - eBay - Used
    Intercooler - 64.50 - eBay - New
    Throttle Cable - 18.94 - New - eBay - from a 1.6/1.8 Carb
    Boot - 40 - Used - Scrappy
    G60 Flywheel, VR6 Clutch & Pressure Plate - 100 - Used - eBay
    Stainless backbox, decat pipe and centre silencer - 30 - Used - From a fellow VAG enthusiast

Total - 1755.44
    Goal - 3500