Yet another 1.8t Mk2 Golf - My first project

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Crsb, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Crsb New Member

So i've decided to convert a GTI 16v into a 1.8t with minimal mechanical knowledge, ive been reading up on this for the last 12 months and it really dosnt seem that hard...for now.

My base car is a 1991 Mk2 GTI 16v, it does seem a shame to do this to a 16v but the car came at a good price with a lot of service history, a pretty decent shell and has all the things i need. The car is on just over 190k and the interior is in mint condition, the outside however has a few small problems, hundreds of stone chips, standard patch of rust in the corner of the windscreen (tiny patch), a couple of small rust holes near the drivers jacking point and a rusty boot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have also bought the 1.8t AGU engine with all the ancillaries, loom and gear box.

[​IMG]

picked up an intercooler aswell

[​IMG]

and a Corrado pedal box, a boot from the scrappy and a 1.6 carb throttle cable

My goal is to get the car on the road for 3500

Progress will be slow due to the nature of my job but hopefully ill have her road worthy by the end of february
    I will be taking the 16v engine out near the end of the month to start work on the engine bay, whilst i am doing this the AGU engine will be being looked over by my local mechanic, having a service, new cam belt, alternator belt and i will probably get the head gasket done.

i know im going to hit some road blocks with this so any help will be greatly appreciated! [:D]

The shopping list so far
    Mk2 Golf GTI 16v - 800.00 - Gumtree - Used - Needs some rust sorting and engine bay cleaning and parts Hammerited
    Engine, Gearbox etc - 600.00 - eBay - Used - Engine with all ancilleries 2000 MK4 GTI AGU 109k
    Corrado pedalbox, Slave and Master cylinder - 102.00 - eBay - Used
    Intercooler - 64.50 - eBay - New
    Throttle Cable - 18.94 - New - eBay - from a 1.6/1.8 Carb
    Boot - 40 - Used - Scrappy

Total - 1625.44
    Goal - 3500