(yet another) Mk3 Central Locking Problem...

Discussion in 'Security' started by foe_mk3, Jan 22, 2007.

1. foe_mk3

foe_mk3 New Member

Well it doesn't seem to be a problem yet but it doesn't seem right and I'm sure it will only turn into a problem if I don't get it sorted. I think it is different enough to warrant its own thread!

Basically, when I lock the car the passenger door 'whirrs and clicks' twice. The door seems to be locked fine and it doesn't unlock between clicks. I have tried this from the driver's door and using the alarm key fob.
    When I have locked it from the passenger door it seems fine (I guess this is because it is the key turning the lock and not the central locking system).

I have not really got my head around how the C/L works so could anyone who does understand it please enlighten me as to possible causes??

As I say - it does not seem to be a problem now but I assume it is a bit of a warning sign.

All help appreciated!

Update: from inside the car - drivers side works the C/L but the passengers side doesn't (only locks itself)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

Each of the door latches on my mk 3 (a 4 door) has a small solenoid which operates once during the central locking cycle. That's probably the clicking sound you hear, along with the whirring of the pneumatic system.

The system operates again after about 10 sec. if any door isn't read as 'locked' through its status/return line, so first of all look for that favourite problem, broken wires in the door jamb wiring boot.

From inside the car, only the driver's side should operate the air pump - it's recognised as the master lock of the two (or four).

From outside, it depends on whether you have the microswitches fitted to the key cylinder on the passenger side. Some diagrams show these on the driver's side only for cars with elec. windows only, but mine had both sides with only c/locking. If the pump doesn't start when the key is turned either way, either the switches aren't fitted, or the 12v common for them is missing (broken wire, again?)

Yours, dougie.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  3. foe_mk3

foe_mk3 New Member

cheers Dougie - much appreciated!