Yet another upgraded loom question!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stimpy, Dec 11, 2004.

1. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Just when you thought everything had been covered! ;)

Okay, so I've read the very good guides at Matey-matey and the Daniel Stern lighting sites, and I understand the principles, and I've got my shopping list ready to visit Maplin next week...

...but I've never done anything like this before, so I just need a bit more help on which bits to buy.

Specifically:

Relays - I thought there were two main types, either for PCB mounting, or plug-in ones. So presumably I want plug-in ones, but what do I plug them into, can I buy little single blocks for them that clip together? Thought so, but can't find them anywhere...

Fuse - From what I've read it sounds like you just use a normal blade fuse - again, what does this plug into - can you just get in-line fuse holders for blade fuses? (can't see them on Maplin website, although I think RS Components might do them in bulk?).

Also, Matey-matey suggest a 20A fuse, but if I'm doing both the headlights and inner-spots then won't I need a higher rated fuse?

Sorry if these seem like/are stupid questions - elecrical stuff is definitely my weakest spot, but I'm learning [:$]

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

I thought it was only the main outer lights you uprate as i had done?

3. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Oh, maybe it is then! Like I say, I'm a bit of a newbie at this [:$]

I just kind of thought that the inners would suffer from the same problem, and although my inners are pretty bright already if I was doing one lot of wiring I might as well do the other (every little helps!). Maybe they don't have such a long run of cable though? Will have a look in the daylight...

4. alby Forum Junkie

i use one 30amp fused relay for hi beam and one for low beam.

you can get the relays from halfrauds for 7 quid.the fuse holder is built into the relay(no need for an inline fuse).

use insulated connectors to go on the relay blades.

5. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Cheers boss! [:D] Makes sense - thought I was probably overlooking the obvious [:$]

Might pop down Halfrauds tomorrow - bit less of a trek than the nearest Maplin, even if I do have to wade through chavs to get to the electrical section...

6. Jetta Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

I'm using four relays incase of a problem so I dont lose an entire circit so I have one relay for N/S dipped, one for N/S Main, one for O/S dipped and one for O/S Main.

I'd uprate the earth too as other wise you'd have high current cable running to the bulb but thinner high resistance cable on the ground circuit.

Blade fuse holders
    VWP
    Maplin
    RS

I'm considering using these: RS Components Circuit Breaker Blade Style, 1610 Series

Though I'll probably just use good quality fuses possibly in the splash proof holders from VWP.
    [​IMG]

7. stimpy

stimpy Forum Member

Vehicle Wiring Products - where have you been all my life! :hug: [l]

Fantastic, thanks for that, just the job! Yep, was gonna uprate earth as well, planning on running straight to ring terminal on battery negative...

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

nice diagram :clap:

9. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

diagrams from daniel stern isn't it? Just gonna go through what I used for mine, ignore it if you want is just what i did.

87 pin relays from Maplins (3, low, hi and spots) high current wire 3.81mm2 maplins (red green black use what ya want for different lights, makes it easier) crimp connectors from ebay with sleeves, heat shrink tubing from maplins (push it over connectors heat it and roberts your mothers brother) amalgamating tape to keep all the wires together. original connectors for the headlamp, taken out of the plastic cases and heat shrunk tubing on to protect wire and connector. inline blade fuses from maplins, come with a chunky bit of high current orange wire either side, with 30A fuses. crimp on ring connectors for battery connection and various little bits ie screws and more rings for earths.

Is it not better to make a new earth, drill a hole somewhere and connect your wires up with rings and a self tapper than to just connect up to the battery?

10. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

is always this, would make things a little easier.
    Linky

11. Andy99 Forum Member

From Maplin
    30 amp blade fuse holder 1.50
    40 amp relays 1.99
    30 amp wire 0.50 per metre
    30 amp male (yellow) blade connectors 1.60ish for pack of 12
    30 amp female fully shrouded (yellow) blade connectors 1.60ish for pack of 12
    10 amp blade fuses 1.50ish per pack

is what I used. costs about 15 quid to do the dipped beam with a relay for each lamp unit [so you dont loose both lights at once].
    Edited by: Andy99