Yet more suspension woes...

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by voteforpedro, Apr 18, 2007.

1. voteforpedro Forum Member

Should the top mounts protrude so much? Also, when I'm turning the steering wheels they're making creeking noises which is the top mounts turning.

[​IMG]

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that pic is a bit small... i cant see the gap clearly enough.

there is typically about an 8mm gap and they do move independantly of eachother.

they shouldmt make noise though.

3. voteforpedro Forum Member

I can see it!!! It's definitely more than 8mm. The top nut is screwed on as far as it will go. Did I put the spring plate on upside down?!?

Let me get this right... It goes rubber bump stop, dust cover, spring plate with protruded bit upright, bearing, rubber mount, nut/washer, up through big hole, top mount, nut.

4. Supercharged Forum Member

Yeah - you need new top mounts...

5. voteforpedro Forum Member

Probably. [xx(]

Can you or anybody else confirm the order in which the front struts are assembled? I've just found my Haynes-in-the-**** manual and it's completely different. It shows the front strut has having the dust cover go on first with the bump stop sitting on top - isn't that the rears? On mine, I've pushed the bump stop right down to the bottom of the piston and slid the dust cover over the top because that's the way they came off...

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sorry mate. i dont know the order in which the top mounts are put together.

i would be tempted to buy new ones unless you can work the order out

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

This any help:
    [​IMG]

8. Supercharged Forum Member

The pic above is for the MK2 TM's - the 3's are fairly similar tho just with a seperate bearing...

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think it was after 94 they had the separate bearing... worth checking the avs site

10. rubjonny

Like this then:
    [​IMG]

11. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I have seen the top mounts collapse and the rubber rubs on the spring cap making a creaking noise.

12. voteforpedro Forum Member

OK guys, I appreciate all the help.

So, from the above picture, are you suggesting I replace 25, 23 or both?

I'm still not convinced the top mounts could be causing such a gap, though...

13. rubjonny

just 25, 23 wont need swapping :)

14. xfon123 Forum Member

just a quick question guys where did you get the above pictures of the suspension from? Just about to replace mine and these would come in really useful, thanks

15. mattneck Forum Member

ETKA and or ETOS :)