your cars history

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by mk1 valver, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

Anyone out there got an interesting history to go with their car? i ask because i found the original wolfsburg recipt for 17000 Dm for my car recently, along with owners history, showing it was first owned by a diplomat in prague then taken to athens before coming back to this country via london. was wondering if that was the reason for the front light washers as i have never seen another mk 1 with these, something to do with foreign road laws maybe?

2. The Machine Forum Member

Thats pretty interesting history you have their :)
    Should add value to the car.

I had a 1984 Golf GTI Mk2 that was imported from Germany & converted to RHD in '85 by a guy based over there in the army. But that sno history compared to yours!

3. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

just realised you cant even see the light sprayers properly in my sig, they can however be seen in the members motors area of this site in the topic entitled "a couple of mk1s."

4. Claypole Forum Junkie

A receipt from the early 80's where it (MK1 Sciocco) was bought by part exchanging an Alfa Sud (bet that's rotted away by now) and a receipt for 680.00 when some turnip had a glass electric sunroof fitted to it... plus about another couple of hundred receipts of one sort or another from the last 20 odd years. :lol:

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

My 16V was written off in 1994. Possibly stolen and later recovered as a wreck.

Turns out that it's a cut'n'shut between a Lada and a Transit.

:)
    Edited by: Trev16v

6. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I bought mine off some scruffy c**t in manchester city centre. I got one key and the log book.

7. thebluebus Forum Junkie

My mk2 was owned by a doctor and then a women called Doreen :lol: in cheltenham. Sold to me for a measly sum and is now being ripped to pieces in my drive!

And to think, as we left she said "you will look after it won't you" :lol: :lol:

8. stew72 Forum Member

Claypole, you live around banbury/bicester? or did you get your car from a guy in this area?

9. NicD Forum Member

The mk2 i've just picked up has genuine mileage and a real service history :lol: Must be pretty rare these days :p

10. alby Forum Junkie

my mate bought a mk1 from a guy that owned it from new.it had a receipt for every fuel purchase with the mileage written down on it.he also had a little leather note book with every tiny little detail written in it.blown fuses bulbs etc.

every receipt mot and tax discs.

my mate proceeded to f**k it up by putting the entire r and a design fibre glass crap range on it.

i eventually got him to put it back to standard and it was bought by volkswizard who probably made a 100% mark up on it

saw it for sale a while back,i think someone had put a 2.0 16v in it.

pity really it was almost concours [:^(]

11. Chris H Forum Junkie

same as mine except he was a southener :lol:

12. Pike Forum Member

In a previous life mine was a Barclays Bank company car, sold in '95 to a chap in Essex and then bought by me. I've got every single invoice for every bit of work carried out on the car (to my knowledge), and all the original paper work. [:D]

13. S1MMA Forum Member

Mine was bought by a bank manager in London, from 'Scotts of Sloane Square VW' and he specced it up well for an 8v (Heated Leather, Air con, CD player, Logic 900). It was then bought by a chap who lives near me, and still has all reciepts, service reciepts, MOTs, etc...

Nice to get a car that has no expense spared on it, the guy even had a 600 service from VW just before I bought it, and 4 new tyres.

14. TRS

trs Forum Member

When i bought my Mk3, the owner of the garage told me that the car was being sold on behalf of the wife of trevor reece jones (princess di's ex butler or something!)

15. Guests Banned

bought in weybride buy a woman who owned it for 8 years sold to a mate of mine with 47 thousand miles on the clock in 1999 for 5500 he owned it for about 2 and half years and sold it to me for 4200 with 76 thousand miles.

it has full vwsh and all reciepts. its had its plate changed 3 times one SUB 333 has a bit more history. since it was on a car in the monte carlo rallye.

now has 103 thousand and going like 5hit off a shovel [:D]

the vwsh is nice and so are the reciepts but i dont care coz its having a new engine sooner or later and im never going to sell it [:D]

16. LLOYD Forum Member

mine came from a tyre fitter in manchester with all mot's and service history. pretty much a straight car with the exeption of one or two small bodge jobs he had done himself

17. Higgim Forum Member

Mine hails from Bournemouth originally but was then bought by a guy who works at Avonbar Racing (in about 1995). They had it for a couple of years and it was used at the top of the Avonbar racing advert in The Golf for a while (around 1996/97 I think) Its white and at the time had dark tints and 17 inch Hockenheims [:s].

It was then sold to a mate of mine at GTI International after he saw it on their stand, he didn't put much mileage on it and I bought it from him in 2001 and have put loads of miles on it! Currently at 139,000 and sat in my garage running on 3 cylinders [:^(]

It has all MOTs, all tax disks, a full stamped service book and loads of receipts. The only problem is that the bits Avonbar added (cams, suspension etc) were not paid for so have no receipts. I emailed the guy a year back to tell him I had bought it and he gave me lots of infomration about development work they had done on it. [8D]

18. jbmg40 Forum Member

My project Mk1 Polo has been round a few people on the scene before
    ending up with me. Traditional little old lady owner before that.

Its G40 motor has much more history though, it was the engine fitted to
    TSR's mag featured breadvan Polo G40 years ago, then subsequently it
    made its way into a heavily modded Mk2 Polo that got badly smashed
    while parked outside the owner's house, weeks after the build was
    finished, poor guy. I then put the running gear into a Mk1, which I later
    gave up on due to an excess of tinworm. The motor has just been fully
    rebuilt, for about the fourth time in its life LOL, and is now set up with a
    muggianu turbo conversion instead of a G-lader [:D]

19. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

My new Golf, the MK2 8v GTI (87) has had 1 owner before me, a old chap.

Full VW Service History, its now covered 203,000 miles and booked in for a Service on the 11th of Nov.

Everything thats ever need doing has been done at Smith Knight Fay in Hyde.

Its got a few little tinworm problems and elec gremlims, this is due to it sitting on his drive way for the past 6 mths before i knocked on the front door asking if he wants to sell.. 150 later its mine.

Pictures to appear soon.

20. AlexB Forum Member

I got mine off the first owner, they'd owned many golfs before it, and got mine as a 16v back in 1989. in 1990 they had a BRM 180 conversion done on it, and the chap had decided to make it handle as well as possible, i have recipts for about 7-8k's worth of work back then, for things like eibach ARBs, koni suspension, the engine work etc.

And now its just a rusty golf in the hands of a youth!