Your opinions on tv car shows?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G40, Dec 23, 2010.

1. G40

G40 Forum Member

Top Gear - I think that the show is becoming a bit dated and predictable, but I think we just need to enjoy it for what it is, a boys big adventure, entertainment and chat show loosely based around cars. After all us petrol heads have precious little else thats good.

Wheeler dealers I quite like Wheeler dealers, Ed comes across as a nice and knowledgeable fellow, Mike can be a bit of a pain in the ass, for a man who sold cars for a living he doesnt seem to know much about them. They do tend to tart stuff up and the little Suzuki jeep that was so rotten that it couldnt be motd was class.

Used car road show Just about watchable, needs a serious revamp. Jason Dawe must kick himself every day that he let himself be replaced on top gear by Richard Hammond.

Fifth Gear I think its getting better, I enjoy Tiff and Jasons shootouts, and Vicky isnt a schoolgirl so shouldnt giggle like one and Jonny Smith is a little oddball but I like what he does.

All those American shows I watch the first 10 minutes then fast forward to the end to see how it turned out, all the pretend fighting for the cameras gets on my wick. Chip Foose does nice cars though; I particularly like the old stuff.

Im sure Ive missed plenty so what do you all reckon?

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

TG is an entertainment show

Fifth Gear is ok but I can't stand VBH

American shows are full of false enthusiasm but watchable

3. mark25 Forum Junkie

TG: The Mrs. can watch too, important for some.

5th gear: Vikki; i'd drink her bath water[:$]

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

TG ^^^ ... good entertainment

Fifth Gear ... always been my favourite car programme and the only one that I try not to miss

Not into much else .... [|)]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. Admin Guest

TG is great
    fifth gear i find is a poor rip of of TG.

6. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Love TG, its easy the best car show. Occasionally its clear they are trying too hard and so isnt as funny, but i do find myself laughing out loud at the stuff they do. Definitely entertainment, but its nice to see expensive cars get thrashed every sunday night :thumbup:

Ive recently discovered wheeler dealers, and have been powering through all the episodes. Mike really gets on my t*ts sometimes but he seems to know enough about the car to get him through each show. Hes a presenter so i guess hes expected to never STFU "Get your hand out!"
    Ive found it really helpful though, and as im still on my first car Edd has taught me an aweful lot about different parts from different models, and its a great insight in the workings of cars on a whole. Admittedly some of the stuff is over exaggerated, but i enjoy seeing the cars get restored to a high level. Even if ive done some of the things myself its interesting to see how a professional mechanic goes about the process with the right tools. I also found my initial impression that they did a quick fix and flogged it on for stupid profit to be wrong, and actually they dont really make money from it (when you factor in Edds man hours) and actually just restore nice classics to their former glory.

Havent seen Fifth gear in years, but i really did not like it the last time i saw it, definitely over shadowed by Top Gear (for good reason).

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

After watching wheeler dealers do a Mk1 GTi I just shook my head.

"This is the wrong console, it's from a Mk2."

NO. It wouldn't bloody fit if it was a Mk2 console.

8. Matty-Westside Forum Member

Haha yeah, but at the same time that episode taught me what a gear linkage consisted of, and how/why to replace it

9. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

top gear 3/10 (James May gets those points the other 2 are w@nkers);
    fifth gear 9/10 (Vicky does it for me);
    wheeler dealers 6/10 (get rid of Mike and your looking at a 9/10);
    UCR 7/10 (informative and witty);
    American shows 2/10 (as said above sky+ them watch the first 10 mins then zapp through to the last 10 mins);
    Vroom Vroom 1/10 (complete naff show with the occasional nice car).

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

tg infuriates me because its horrificly un-funny. but i do persevere with it because parts of the shows are actually very well shot and the sounds are lovely. plus women dont have a problem watching it which has to be the biggest plus.

i actually really like the american car shows. i also quite enjoyed that monster garage that used to be on with jesse james, crazy bastid.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Top Gear ebbs & flows, but is king of the hill, anyday. Clarkson's refreshing attitude towards life, politicians and the interfering administrative state leaves him in a class of one in the media I tune in to.

Wheeler Dealers - forget it. Mike the Cockney w4nker is an irritating pillock. Too TV challengely and way too formulaic, but critically they take the challenges way too seriously and they have no budget.

Fifth Gear is ok. VBH is still a trollop selling herself on squealing for sex in front of the cameras and it's an old script, just like her. Needell is as good as ever, and Plato's stock is rising with his BTCC success IMO. The show is down to earth, but seems to be getting better, without a TG budget to make it as good as it could be?

What was really interesting was to see Tiff drafted in as the "Emergency Stig" on Top Gear this week. They're all freelance I suspect (Tiff appeared on Clarkson's Earls Court/NEC MPH shows from 2003- ~ 2006/7), until it was rebranded 'Top Gear Live' so Tiff can do what he wants. That maybe just hints at great possibilities for the future?

12. Matty-Westside Forum Member

I guess that wouldn't be so bad, hes probably less irritating away from fifth gear. He did teach me how to perform the Scandinavian flick, after all :lol:

13. G60RCaol Forum Member

Top Gear is still an awesome watch, but its just a big entertainment show now.

Fifth gear is what Top Gear used to be, but better - they've got 2(tiff,Jason) that can really drive, and VBH isnt half bad.

14. leontdi Forum Member

tg is getting stupid and always staged

fifth gear ok

chop shop america has boyd coddington and chip foose
    we have a loud mouthed cockney and a tub of filler