Zeitronix Zt-2 with knock logging

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by EZ does it, Nov 10, 2012.

1. EZ does it Forum Member

Hi all!

I'm planning on taking my car into the 21st century a bit with some classy monitoring and logging stuff. The engine setup is a KR on twin carbs with the standard distributor. My plan is to get hold of equipment that can monitor (primarily) AFR, RPM, TPS and knock levels and log all of this in one place so I can analyse the setup and use the data to scientifically tune the carbs and ignition, if it's successful then I'll add some kind of mappable ignition to the setup when I can.

I have had my eye on the Zeitronix Zt-2 with black box datalogger, using a DCOE throttle position sensor such as the ones available on eBay, but it has been bugging me that there is no provision for the ignition system. After some digging around I have found this beauty; http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=270 which looks like it would be fine, the real question is, can the output from the knock unit be fed into the user input on the Zt-2?

Also, I suppose, have I missed anything obvious or are there any reasons why this combination would not be suitable for on-the-road fuel and ignition tuning?

I'm new to all of this and would appreciate a bit of guidance from someone more experienced.

Thanks!

2. EZ does it Forum Member

Update:

I have had a reply from the Phormula team who say that the KS-4 is indeed compatible with the Zt-2

3. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Wouldn't be simpler to do Map instead of Tps? I saw that phormula kit before but didn't check on any feedback.

Why would you go this way though? With the money you are going to spend, you could buy a standalone ECU and pay for a rolling road session where knock detection and AFR monitoring would be readily available..

4. EZ does it Forum Member

What's the case for MAP against TPS?

To be honest I'd rather have the equipment so if the setup changes I can adapt the tune to it without going to the rollers with it, and I really want to do it myself!

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

6. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Right, is not the easiest thing to tune an engine but anyway how would you tune ignition on the road? With the knock detection system?

7. EZ does it Forum Member

I'm not expecting it to be very easy, but yeah that's the theory. When I eventually get 3D mappable ignition I'd like to look at knock levels at certain engine conditions and adjust the spark map to suit. I did motorsport engineering at uni so I've got a pretty good idea of the engine theory, it's just the practical application of it that I haven't tried before. Then again can something like megajolt just take readings from the knock system and run the advance like a conventional factory ECU would?

8. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Hm.. I don't know about megajolt but i'm sure megasquirt can do it. I've got mine setup for using a knock system but i haven't tried it yet and i don't think i will.

Problem is..you don't want detonation. The way you are going to do it is increase advance until you get knock and then back it off a couple of degrees. It's the wrong way, that's what i'm trying to say.

9. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Wrong day to be on the forum. Go out and have some drinks man. Happy birthday :thumbup: