Zimmerman X Drilled 280mm??

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Nev93, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

Where can i buy 280mm Zimmerman X drilled Disks with a 4 stud Bolt pattern.?

I have spoken GSF and they have told me the SEAT Cordoba 1.8T uses the Same discs as the RALLYE.. and they stock the 280mm X Drilled discs.

Does anyone else know where i can get both the 280mm Zimmerman X Drilled 4 stud (4*100) discs and Pagid Fast Road Pads..

I Know GSF hasve stopped using PADGID because they are expanding to all makes and models and PADGID dont cover enough models??

Any help?

Thanks

2. iguana Forum Member

GSF sold pagid f/r last time i was in there & I'd not waste my cash on after market drilled discs, just get genuine vw 280s they are good enough for many a vdub track car.

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

X-drilled discs = Bad

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

VW Plain = Good

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my car came with zimmerman x-drilled. nothing wrong with them. 280mm 5 stud.

the previous owner said they came from bigboystoys iirc

6. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

I've been running zimmerman cross drilled discs for about 4 years now and haven't had a problem, but I'd probably just go for plain next time. I got mine from G+S, their for a mk2 g60. 280mm in 4 stud fitment.

7. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

You don't appear to use brakes though Kev.

Just to clear up my views on Cross drilled discs...

They cost a lot more than plain discs, have reduced friction area for the pads to clamp on - and the drilled holes provide stress raisers. In normal use it may not cause a problem (although of course they cost more) But if you get the discs very hot then it increases the chance of cracking - I did it to a set of front discs on my mk1 and decided that the extra money wasn't worth it for a product that was inherently less durable.

However - as with all things there are always people who can use them with no problems at all.

IMO the pretty look is not worth the money.

8. loadsavalves

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'm with you Dex.

Also, if you use a good pad (Ferrodo, high end Pagid's etc) it clearly states they should be used only on plain disks.... I'm sure they don't just type it for fun. :lol:

10. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

well in that case, i may just end up getting normal disks,, bit difference in price, so its going to mak it cheaper... New Engine, Brakes, Exhaust.. its going to be an expensive couple of months...
    cheers for the info guys.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

are grooved discs much cop?

12. vw_stu Forum Member

with regards to the way braking surfaces work, since it is sliding friction the area doesn`t have an influence on braking effect (tyres and tarmac is a different story due to mechanical grip). The reduction in surface area means there is more pressure applied to the remaining surface by the pads. The best way of proving this is to look at performance clutches, they might only have three or four little contact patches compared to one big ring of friction material. The downside is thay wear out faster.

however, the issue of cracking is something to consider. in reality grooves and drillings are just gimmicky really. If you look at most top level motorsport (ignoring carbon brakes) they use plain discs, and they`re doing a lot harsher braking than we can hope to simulate on the road.

13. loadsavalves

Porsche seem to think there's a need for cross drilling ??

14. vw_stu Forum Member

tbh i suspect they just put them on their cars for the bling effect

http://www.apracing.com/car/brakedisc/face.htm

check the bit next to the RD discs ... "Mainly used for aesthetic reasons on road applications."

grooves on discs are a good idea, but regarding drilling, as it says on that link, disc life can be compromised.

15. Golden Forum Junkie

:o :o :o :o :o

Quick, someone warn Porsche!!!!!!:o :o :o

[​IMG]

16. monza 16v Forum Member

17. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

you're forgetting porsche discs are cast with holes, not drilled afterwards ;)

i cracked a set of zimmermas x-drilled dicsc in 6k miles

18. Golden Forum Junkie

There's nothing wrong with cross drilled discs.

Brembo and Power Stop both offer drilled discs as Porshe replacements.

I just thought Dex's statement was a bit sweeping, Zimmermans may be ****e but not all drilled discs are.

19. stew72 Forum Member

I suspect brembo and power stop discs cost a fair bit more, probably because they aren't drilled by some monkey with a pillar drill somewhere in eastern europe.

Nothing wrong with decent quality drilled discs for road use but I'd go plain or grooved for track use.

20. Daz... Forum Member

I've got 280mm zimmerman x-drilled discs and they look pretty [:$]

They work great compared to my old brakes but they were 256mm jobbies so it's not a fair comparison. I know I'm going to be replacing them with plain discs and some decent pads when they knackered.