Zippo lighter process

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brian.G, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

[​IMG]

Ps, Dave, I found one;)[:*:]

2. D4LFR Forum Member

theres a family of what look to be mice OR tampax in there aswell mate

3. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

LOL

4. prof Forum Addict

saved, ta Brian

5. prof Forum Addict

have you seen the zippo hand warmer, catalyst thing, we were puzzling over how it works, is there a flame?

http://www.zippo.com/products/handwarmer.aspx?bhcp=1

does the bag just throttle the oxygen? I want a petrol mobile phone, awesome energy density compared to battery

6. Aye, I've two of them - it's a wee catalyst grille mesh at the top that glows, you can use it out of the bag as well. Same sort of mesh you see in gas soldering irons.

7. prof Forum Addict

so no flame?

8. There's a flame when you first light it, you blow that out and the thing just glows from behind it's protective grille. I think the soldering irons use fibreglass with a platinum coating as the catalyst?
    The only problem is, they burn for about 10 hours on a fill and there is no way of extinguishing them! You just have to leave them to burn out on a safe surface.
    Many's the night I've sat with my feet up at TSC island with 2 of the warmers down my socks, or dropped them down the side of my wellies before going for a walk in the winter!

9. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Doing some rough(very) calcs, your looking at about 5tons to draw brass to that die.:lol: Just incase you ever are thinking about it...

10. prof Forum Addict

even I am not that strong ;):lol:

11. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Brilliant!:clap:

E-mail me the price, I might have to sell mine.[:^(]

As. I've just found some more VWMS stuff!;)

12. And what ton to draw Titanium into the die? Eh? I'm sure you saw Dave's "Racing weight" Zippo...

13. Dave

14. Great, I'm 35 , drunk and a mindreader.:lol:

15. Dave

Sober up, you owe me a big e-mail!:lol:

AND.

What have I told you about drinking so much?:o[8(][:^(]

16. Dave

Brian.

Next time we meet I'll bring this along::thumbup:

[​IMG]

Every other page has example of Zippos returned for repair!:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. That's Zippo's best marketing tool - the free repair. They could improve the horribly shoddy hinge and probably never get any back for repair - but instead they can build them with a terrible piece of design holding the top on, and give a lifetime guarantee no matter what you do to it. Lifetime lighter! And I bet about 1% of buyers get round to sending them back for repair once they break, because they can make them cheaply enough that people just buy another one!