'89 Golf Mk2 TDi Build Thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DN5, Apr 11, 2016.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah that seat thing is what I reckon goes up top hole. Sod it I'll get a new mk4 item and find a plug from a wreckers. That's 1 more thing ticked off the list :)

3. DN5

And thanks for info on cards I'll relay that to buyer. Top man.

4. DN5

I can now confirm that fitting a fuel tank by yourself will include lots of swearing! Top tip from rubjonny in a previous post about hooking the straps on the clamp pins :thumbup:

Screenshot_20171025-182908.jpg

Screenshot_20171025-182905.jpg
    Need to pull the rubber through the filler flap still but happy. Need beam off now for an overhaul.

Things looking a damn site better up front though
    Screenshot_20171025-182913.jpg
    Nice new fresh and clean [:D]

Anyone got any tips on mounting original intercooler?
    Have a fmic but it's HUGE as it's from an evo. Might test fit it though as think that'll be easier mounting than original.

5. DN5

Screenshot_20171028-190946.jpg

Got dark so had to stop but it's in!

A pulley is rather close to the chassis leg but I'm confident it won't be a problem. Managed to shift it over a touch but not loads.

Reluctantly I'm going down the laguna intercooler route for now as the Mitsubishi FMIC was way too big and I'm not wanting to chop the slam panel support out.

It's more than ample for my measly 90bhp still lol

6. DN5

I'm about to try and give the motor a first start but want to clear up some loose ends first.

I Have a few thin wires that don't have a home.
    Screenshot_20171102-122958.jpg
    These come from the immobilser box.

And from the mk3 loom...
    A brown plug grey/white wire male end
    A green plug black / brown wire male end
    A red 4 pin square plug pin3 yellow/ blue wire and pin 4 brown wire (pin 1 and 2 wires cut and unused)
    A black 3 pin female plug pin 1 black/green pin 2 black/white.

Photos are on and off as to whether they upload so ill try again later.

All I have connected are light loom, engine loom, ecu, immobiliser and ignition loom.

I have nothing at all currently plugged into the coloured jumper blocks on the fuse box.

Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  7. DN5

On a plus, it cranks and fires but immob cuts it out after a second or two. Getting there!

8. rubjonny

the female plug is where the brown plug with grey/white on the TDI loom plugs in (ecu diagnostics/immobiliser comms), the male plug goes into the diagnostics jumper block for the vagcom port, and the black wire needs ignition live from somewhere, D plug has plenty feeds :)

not sure on the black/brown, pics?

red 4 pin is headlight range control -> bin

3 pin with black/green and black/white is indicator wiring for the mk3 clocks -> bin if mk2 clocks

9. DN5

I think the black brown may be black red with green male plug and I think you said that has something to do with brake lights on? To be used for mk4 brake light switch?

10. DN5

Assuming I have all the above in place as you have said, should this now start? When I tried this morning the immobilser cut it out.

11. rubjonny

ah yes, black/red would be brake lights so goes to W/4.

make sure the immobiliser clicks with ignition on, if not double check it has ignition and earth. the earths end up at a ring terminal, I put that to the stud on the A pillar

DN5 likes this.
  12. DN5

I'm certain it is the brakes on wire but I'll try get a photo up when the site decides to let me.
    I should be good to go then because I'm earthed to that same spot and just need to hook up the black wire to D plug. I'll tap it in somewhere that has a ignition live feed. Is the diagnostics jumper block the longer black one that's up on top of fuse box? Cheers John.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  13. rubjonny

yep thats the one, put the grey/white on the same row as the vagcom grey/white. you'll see what i mean ;)

14. DN5

I don't have vagcom port plumbed in yet but I'll stick it on same row when I do.
    Followed the above and it's now running so really happy with that! Gonna figure out some intercooler routing and radiator options and give this another push before the winter kicks in.

15. DN5

rsz_screenshot_20171108-090420.jpg
    Does this look about right?
    It's as it was in the tdi so I know engine will run but not using fan controller and using mk2 fans and rad.

All other equipment is mk2 stuff.

16. DN5

17. rubjonny

you probably wont need all the jumper boxes but may as well leave them on there. lights on warning relay 36 will only work if you add the mk3 connections on the rear loom and key in ignition feed. the jumper in slot 10 needs swapping for a 53 relay if you have front fogs, otherwise leave it as is

top plug is clutch switch, bottom is the std brake switch. cruise brake switch not shown, its the one with white/yellow wire. the single wire is for the brake light feed to ecu yes -> W/4 :)

18. DN5

I'm not bothered about lights on warning relay to be fair so ill remove that. I have a 53 relay so I'll bung that in slot 10 :)
    With the switches I only have 1 more and it's blue with a blue plug on the end. I'll check the wire colours but that must be cruise brake switch. Don't have a fourth knocking about lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  19. DN5

Jumping subject but with the 1.3 Speedo cable....what drive end is needed? Can I reuse the mk3 item, will it fit? If not then which colour end is needed for an accurate speedometer reading? Thanks.

20. DN5

When it came to mounting the dbw unit for the throttle pedal I struggled and struggled for where to mount it. Looking behind the dash near the pedal box for ideas. Nothing too suitable. I then saw something that a guy called kernow valver had done and another thing that rubjonny had said.

I decided to mount it in the scuttle but on the inner wing, drivers end.

rsz_20171012_190201.jpg
    rsz_20171012_190146.jpg
    rsz_20171012_190128.jpg

Used 2 inappropriately sized exhaust clamps, marked the location, removed the wing and drilled through the inner wing.
    Didn't clamp them down too much so I didn't damage the unit.
    Need to get a photo of the accelerator cable attachment but it's basically an old yz125 clutch lever (aluminium and lightweight) cut down and attached to the dbw fitting. Then the cable connects right in without kinking and risking it fraying. A piece of drilled angle iron fixes the throttle cable in place.
    I'm praying it won't be a massively heavy pedal feel [:s]