MK1 Racer (ALL BROKEN PHOTOBUCKET PICS FIXED) - Painted and out of the bodyshop....

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 16valver, Feb 27, 2007.

1. benny Forum Member

Argghh @ The misfiring lol

Was the pink Evo suffering a bit too? From watching it on the telly, it was laggy as hell.

Good footage - cheers!

2. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Loving that move into the first corner in Race 2, Mega....

3. benny Forum Member

A cracker that wasn't it!!

4. 51ngh Forum Member

That incar vid is mental.. How can u tame such a beast..lol. .ESP in wet conditions... Glad the misfire issue has been identified!! Can't wait for more updates... :thumbup:

5. rambow Forum Member

That last vid Ali....I was screaming at my laptop screen! lol

Really frustrating after what was turning out to be a really good drive [8(]

Glad you've identified the issues...can't wait for more! :thumbup:

Ram

6. vwp6n Forum Member

Great to see the car finished and getting used.

Can't fault the first race for it being a full build from scratch.

Look forward to seeing the car this weekend at knockhill :thumbup:

7. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

your 1 good driver m8. and i love the car. pls keep the videos coming

8. 16valver Forum Member

No problem, here you go...

This time it was at full boost and in the dry and on slicks. Car was f**kin mega.

[video=youtube;QXfTvPkbfaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfTvPkbfaQ&list=UUj2auy8rYW-Oy6S3MA2i0RA&index=1[/video]

Will post up a bit on the weekend later but thanks to Danster for being legendary with sorting out some spares for the car and Goof for the help running it and usual banter along the way (Nice to meet vwp6n as well)

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  9. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks to John S for this pic (I think I am going to buy this one and get a print)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. knarfmk1 Forum Member

Very nice video! you came in third?
    This build has been a big inspiration for my own build :thumbup::thumbup:

11. benny Forum Member

Vid shows the epicness of the drive!! < I made a new word there. Excellent! Nice pic too!

12. 16valver Forum Member

Thanks. No, finished in 5th which is a good result :)

Haha, Cheers Chris.

13. AjVR Forum Member

What a monster, I take it your not running boost by gear?
    Good effort on the build you must be grinning when you get into the driving seat.

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Amazing. Great drive.
    Surely a potential race winner there. And great results straight from the box!
    I think I may have mentioned the fluid reservoirs and struts in front of turrets.....
    Surely the fasted circuit Mk1 Golf in the country?

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  15. Yoof Forum Member

Fair play, that looks like a handful in the wet! Love the fact you've spent a few years building it and then stick it straight into a well packed race series.

Muchos respect!

Pete

16. 16valver Forum Member

Erm, no... Not really keen on that somehow as just want to know I can choose how to apply it. I think TCS would be more useful as if it is mapped for a certain boost pressure to a gear, if I have new tyres or track conditions are better, the car might not be going as quick or running as much boost as it could do. Thinking about TCS but money is tight with running costs so will just have to wait.

Very unlikley race winner in this series with big boost evos, M3's and cossies to try and beat. Will see, have a few changes to make and should be able to get closer but I would be really happy to be able to to snatch a 3rd place if the opportunity is there. At the first race not everyone was out but from the May race I can see it is going to be difficult without a diff in the back. Will give it a go though :)

Yes, sure those were mentioned by a few. Choose to ignore it though as I wanted them like that and in the past it has not been a problem with this championship although now is clearly a different story. It passed ok now though, despite complaints from scrutes about the noise. Pointed out that it is actually legal as it passed the static 105 DB noise test and then was asked "if it could be made a little quieter as it is verging on painful"

Everyone else seems to think it sounds great and afaik, race cars are not really meant to be quiet. Might add another silencer to keep them happy though as they could make life difficult for me if not.

Don't know about that. There are a few quick Mk1's around

Thats what it was made for :)

17. 16valver Forum Member

I had this up a while ago elsewhere as I was fed up with politics of the forum. However, seeing as the thread is nearing 100,000 views and in the hope that it gets better around here, here is some content from just before and during the last race...

I was off from Tuesday last week to get the teething problems sorted and made some progress, moved fluid reservoirs and fabricated the new box for them in the engine bay. Re-packed silencer, changed out the old fuel tank for a shiney new one (it was leaking when near full), re-wrapped the exhaust and fixed various other things. Craig got the fan wired up, bled brakes and ended up tidying the inside and all the wiring on the inside as it was attracting some unwanted attention at scruteneering.

Tank with pimp gold heat wrap (exhaust is hard up against tank and gets quite hot)

[​IMG]

Looking much neater inside with wiring tided

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reservoirs moved to top left of bay

[​IMG]

Well the teething problems came back. Arrived at the track for testing on Saturday and got the car fired up and headed out for the first session. At the bottom of Duffus on the first lap the 'missfire' came back. As you can see from the previous vid, it was more a case of complete intermitent shut down rather than just a missfire.

Anyway, went straight back into paddock and started to work through the potential problems with Craig. Stripped back TPS wiring, check crank position sensor, coil connector, changed plugs about 5 times with no luck. We decided it had to be something around the fuse box so started removing that. As I removed it, Craig saw the ECU light die and then he realised straight away it had to be main (fused) feed for the ECU so that wire was cut and just hard wired to the buzz bar.

Missed pretty much all the running that day but made it out for the last session and engine was on song. Wheel spin in 5th gear not ideal but it was working! Not great to not get any track time but the 70 was worth it just to know that the problem was still there and that we got it fixed before finding out at qualifying on Sunday.

18. 16valver Forum Member

Sunday morning I spanner checked the car, signed on and went through scruteneering which went ok and got ready for qualifying. This didnt go particuarly well as being one of the last out I was trying to warm the tyres when others were starting fast laps. Accidently blocked a few but with 28 cars trying to qualify on a 1.1 mile track, it is inevitable. Mental note to self is be one of the first out and just go for it.
    By the time I had warmed the tyres it had started to drizzle and dont think I got any clear laps. Anyway, excuses out the way and qualified 6th which was ok.
    In 6th I started alongside the Leon and behind the M3, Evo & Caterfield. The start was good off the line and managed to cut in front of the Leon, however, it was mental at Dufus with cars going everywhere! I ended up broadside into Dufus before straightening up just before some sort of drainage runoff 'road' and didnt really have a choice but to fire down that which put me out alongside the Hyabusa powered Caterfield.
    M3 & Evo
    [​IMG]
    M3 is supercharged and seemingly 550hp while being down 60PSI on cyl 6!! No idea how much power the Evo has but it is a lot. Busting out 52 sec laps with relative ease!
    Golf & Caterfield
    [​IMG]
    Caterfield won this race
    Leon & Nova
    [​IMG]
    The Leon is a Supercopa which I think means it was a Seat works built car which is touring car spec but it just has the normal engine rather than the outright works car. Not sure though? Maybe someone will know.
    The Nova is probably one the the coolest Nova's I have seen with what I 'think' is a high spec SBD red top XE and has dog box.
    I managed to keep the front 3 in sight but was probably dropping back by about 3 secs a lap. I could see the Leon flashing into my mirrors about a corner back and knew it was just a matter of time. While passing a back marker the Leon got the advantage and passed me for 4th and dropped me down to 5th. With red mist I made a stupid late braking manouver and locked up going into the hairpin.
    It wasnt so much a case of thinking "will I make the corner" but more of "will I end up at the end of the gravel trap or in the car park"
    Ended up in the gravel and couldnt keep the engine going :( The marshals eventually pushed me out backwards down the hill after about a minute or so. I was very grateful as there were only two of them and it wouldnt have been easy to shift out the gravel. Managed to bump start it in reverse while rolling backwards and finished in 10th which was ok considering.
    [​IMG]

After having flat spotted a tyre during that and changing tyres (again), we moved on to race 2. Started 10th (same as race 1 finish). The camera didnt work for the 1st race but it did for this one so here it is. Lines are not 'ideal' as mirrors are generally full of Seat Leon during first 5 laps....
    This is much better footage and is full boost map in the dry on slicks. Best to watch in 720p
    [video=youtube;QXfTvPkbfaQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfTvPkbfaQ[/video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXfTvPkbfaQ

Last edited: May 15, 2013
    ces and 3hirty8ight like this.
  19. 16valver Forum Member

(Above video is just the same one thats over the page)

I like this pic (although could do with a flame to brighten things up)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A photo my dad took of the race with the Leon. It felt like it was this close all of the time and pretty much having to drive off line most of the time to defend!

[​IMG]

On the final laps I felt the brake pedal loose a bit of pressure, although still firm. It gets new fluid each time it is out (usually as I have discinnected something and it needs bled anyway) but the pads had just been changed from Pagid RS2-4 as they were not really biting that hard and changed for Ferrodo DS3000, which we found out has a much bigger swept area on the disc anyway. I didnt think anything of the change in pressure on the pedal but there was a grinding noise from the back. I assumed the rear pads were through to the backing plates, no big deal and drove back to the paddock and parked it.

Craig then tried to put it on the trailler and it had locked the back O/S wheel. We had a look and saw this...

[​IMG]

Should ideally have some bolts attaching the caliper to the stub axle. Think I will use some lockwire next time!

andyneedham2 and mat-mk3 like this.
  20. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Looks to be going really well, great work :thumbup:

It makes you wonder how things like that caliper happen doesn't it. I'm sure you checked the bolts at least twice!

I've had two failures of bolts, both on the front Wilwood calipers on mine. They have M8 12.9 cap head screws for the radial mounts.

A while ago when I was checking the car over I noticed one head was missing, the shaft was still there but no head. I changed both bolts for new.

Then last week I removed and re fitted the calipers for some reason and re torqued the bolts up to about 49Nm. While I was laying under the car later there was a bang and when I checked one of the heads had shot off, bounced off the inner wing and across the workshop. When I tried to undo the other one that came off as well. Now both of these bolts were the originals as I only changed the side that had failed before (lesson there). I wonder if they were faulty bolts or had been over torqued or if the heat from racing (it was a circuit car before) had weakened them?

May be for racing it's better to go for better quality mounting bolts than you would fit as std? Interestingly with radial calipers they cant really go anywhere even with the heads missing but that's not the point.

Had the bolts come out or broken?