MK2 Track Car - cobra buckets and a few bits sorted

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by RIP-MK3, Mar 28, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Finally found a peddle box:p , arranged to drive to bognor regis and collect it and then found another one a mile from our house cheaper so let the seller know we wouldn't be coming and got an earfull as he had spent an hour or so getting the thing out [:$] wooops.

Also ordered 25 foot of copper brake lines, pipe bending tool, flaring tool etc to make the hard lines. Still need to order the braided hoses and the brake bias valve.

This weekend hoping for major progress!!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Remember that Classifieds thread you started? :lol:

Glad you found the pedal box though.

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

damm i think you may be driving yours before mine! ill still bet you!
    how does a quid sound!? lol

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

He would have had to remove it sooner or later. You did him a favour.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Went and collected our peddle box and clutch cylinder from a local guy breaking a corrado, when we turned up it turns out he breaks vw on a rented farm sight and had literally 10 mk2's, 6 mk3's, couple of mk1 cabs, 3 scirocco's and some other stuff too.... also had a barn full, yes a barnfull of panels and doors etc from golfs!!!!

gave him a hand to get the box out, came home and offered it up..... mmmm all the hole's line up? after reading the how to on here i thought we were going to have to make up a bracket for one of the mountings or something? bonus. maybe thats the difference between a passat and a corrado peddle box?? either way we were chuffed.

Smashed the bulkhead as flat as we could, and marked up where the cylinder is to come through

[​IMG]

went to wicks and got ourselves a metal hole cutter which cost a pretty penny

[​IMG]

Cut a nice clean hole, and then used a bit of wood and got the bulkhead perfectly flat.....

[​IMG]

Then bolted everything in place, column now has all the looms plugged in, throttle cable is ready, servo and master cylinder are in ready for hard lines....

[​IMG]

ignore the crappy blue hose, it came with the clutch cylinder we have a decent one off the mk3 to put on. This is the mk2 servo with the mk3 master cylinder

[​IMG]

very happy with it as was a bit scared of doing it tbh. The dash could go back in, but don't want to until we have the engine in and running incase we run into wiring issues

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

thats 15 minutes work for you IIRC?? i would feel bad taking it :lol: :lol:

7. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Nice work mate! Best place for holesaws are electrical wholesalers, wicks/b+q etc charge through the ass for tools that should only cost a few quid.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm sitting back and admiring the fact that a Mk3 which you owned is being converted to a Mk2.

Nothing against Mk3s, just what a story!

Hope you really enjoy the conversion.

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers chris, the finishing line is in sight. Picked up a full scorpion stainless steel exhaust and both upper and lower front strut braces for 60 all in as well which is pretty nice.

Unfortunately, i ordered the copper pipe and fittings to do the brake lines but the mk3 stuff is bigger [:x] anyone know what size so I can order some more?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

At the master cylinder? Sure it's not Mk3 master cyl fittings + standard pipe?

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nope. Pushed the pipe I bought through the fittings and it is noticable smaller than what was on there in the first place. Is it ok for the pipe to be smaller inside the fitting? as I reckon I could flare the 'smaller' pipe big enough to get the fittings to work at the M/C, everywhere else can just use the stuff i bought ie T pieces etc

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nope - I'd get to the bottom of the issue - post in chassis.

Not worth risking brake pipe flares not seating properly.

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just done a search and its been asked many a time with mk2, seems there is three options. 6mm, 1/16 or 1/4. i ordered the 1/16 which is what is used in mk2's....

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

[Trev mode on] I can`t take it anymore!...[><]

Pedal = those things you press with your feet.

Peddle = to sell...

[/Trev mode off]

Carry on... :)

(Top job, BTW. :thumbup:)

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ha ha sorry, edited at the top

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Git...:lol: :lol:

17. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

mk3 (can only comment for 16v) use 12mm instead of 10mm for the mc and have a larger pipe because it feeds the abs i believe. im battling with the mc feeding my new front brakes, got the 12mm fittings which were a ballache to find but the mc stugles for some reason to feed the fronts with a smaller tube.

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ah ok, did you get 12mm fittings that where for 1/16 pipe then? how come you didn't just use the larger pipe? Or is it 1/16 size pipe coming out of the ABS unit etc and just larger going in to keep the pressure up?

19. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

My pipe is -3 whatever size that is, 4mm maybe? I binned the abs and have re done all the lines in braded. With a port going to the front and other to the back and spit the brakes by t-pieces if that makes sense? An put am adjustable bias valve in the car.

It's not perfect though, am going to change to g60 mc so the front brakes can have their own port each.

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^ thats interesting and pretty confusing. When you say not perfect - is the brake feel not good or stopping power down on before? Also I assumed you mean just braided ends?

The original set up has T pieces which split each feed from the M/C, so can't see why that should effect the new set up you have done. Have you tried swapping what feed goes where? ie change them over at the master cylinder?

the three sizes of pipe i have come across are 6mm, 1/16 and 1/4. I am going to go measure the old one now.