ABF to VR6 - Convince me!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Willber, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Willber Forum Member

I'm after a bit of advice on my MK2, see below:

I currently have a 5 door MK2 GTI in Alpine White which was originally an 8v but I have pulled the engine out and completely stripped the engine bay, welded underneath, re-painted and so on. I was planning to put an ABF engine into the car and I have got a Red MK3 ABF full car which I bought to do the conversion with.

I have a nagging thought that I should stick a VR6 in it instead. It's not my daily so fuel costs don't matter and I can insure the car no problem. I have stripped the MK3 16v for parts and my MK2 is waiting for a new engine basically. I am at the point now where I need to decide finally what I am going to do. The VR6 seems a bit more special to me than the ABF, the noise and the extra power would be great too.

So far I have aquired MK3 4 stud wishbones (for widetrack but keeping 4 stud and my BBs ra wheels)
    Koni Coilovers
    Poly Bushes
    MK3 4 stud driveshafts
    Using MK3 subframe off MK3 16v as my MK2 one was rotten.
    I am using the 280m brakes off MK3 and I will be completely rebuilding the front end with new bushes, ball joints track rods etc EVERYTHING!

So essentially I have everything already which means I can go either way (ABF or VR6)

My question to you guys is what different parts will I need to get to enable me to drop a VR6 in? I know I will need ECU and wiring loom for definate. Do I need to uprate the fuel pump? Do I need to use MK3 clocks?

I would be fitting the o2a gearbox with the ABF anyway with hydraulic clutch setup.

Thoughts please :)

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

main thing you need is the front engine mount carrier, from a corrado VR6 or certain Toledo and passat models. 8v digi fuel pump is ok for abf if its in good nick, but will need upgrading if you go vr6. either sweap a mk2 k-jet main pump on there, or swap the tank, lines and filter housing over from a MK3 and fit a vr6 pump. you also either need vr6 clocks, from mk3, passat or corrado, or do the resistor mod to make it work with your old dash as per a sticky thread kicking about around here somewhere

3. Willber Forum Member

Thanks rubjonny,

I have a MK3 ABF already but deep down I really want to put a VR6 into the car. Is there any advantage to fitting a MK3 tank? If not i will stick a K-Jet pump onto it.

I would be doing the resistor mod as I would like to keep the car as factory looking as possible.

Need to find me a VR6 lump, ECU and Loom for a good price then :-D

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Don't do it! :thumbup:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

ABF for the win.

6. Willber Forum Member

Haha why Mike why????? I really want the noise, power, noise did I say NOISE??? Been watching too many 'vr6 straight through pipe' vids on youtube I think.

It's a 2nd car and fuel isnt a problem, nor is money as such although It will hopefully only cost me a hundred quid or so more to change from ABF to VR6 (due to selling all ABF bits)

7. prof Forum Addict

go 24v VR6, you'll geta decent price for the ABF bits.

8. Willber Forum Member

Bloody hell now look what you've gone and done!! How much is an R32 lump (ball park) and how much work is involved? Have you done this conversion also?

Thanks for the advice lads

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

plenty of r32 engines on the go at the minute as well for not much cash
    more so mk5 r32 engines mind

10. Willber Forum Member

Whats the difference between the two? Had a quick skeg on eBay and seen some going for 1k to 2k. Theres one at 2k which includes gearbox and everything else needed. Dont fancy spending that much though to be honest. Vr6 can be picked up for 200-400 for 'reasonable' looking ones. I think I would get 150-200 for my ABF perhaps? I would keep the o2a box for the VR6 unless theres a specific need to use the VR6 o2a.

11. MUSHY 16V

yes the one i got was about that and that was with the gear box and diff
    if you looking to do it that cheep just get a hole mk3 vr6 plenty of roten ones
    sell on the part you dont need
    and you would get all the wide track stuff as well

12. Willber Forum Member

Yes that is another good idea. I already have a MK3 ABF for that purpose! I have room for another car so I might have to get the whole car and then have a mass breaking frenzy one weekend and list all the stuff on eBay.

13. Willber Forum Member

Is a VR6 Sharan Syncro any use to me? 4WD conversion perhaps?!

Any issues with the Sharan being auto? Or can I just swap the box to a normal o2a no problem?

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

stick with the abf - it will look like a standard car, drive like a gti should and an abf can sound pretty decent albeit not as good as a vr

15. Willber Forum Member

Interesting opinions! Maybe I should get the ABF dropped in with 020 box and then if something goes bang or I get bored of the power I can always upgrade. Getting the car finished and back on the road is the most important thing for now considering I havent driven it in 6 months and before then I only drove it for a week!

16. MUSHY 16V

what was wrong with the old 8v

17. Willber Forum Member

Too slow and the engine bay needed work and tidying up/repaint. I have welded a new batt tray in and also repaired both jacking points and other areas that needed attention. The engine bay is now all painted up and ready for its new engine! The trouble is deciding which one to fit. I have an ABF already as I said and I am currently removing the MK3 subframe to fit into the MK2 as it was rusty. Have got all wide track parts ready to go on and the whole car is having a complete refurb and over haul using 280mm brakes, poly bushes, coilovers etc

I want the car to be something which is special to drive each time and I think the VR6 will be more satisfying in this respect. I have found a V5 gearbox with VR6 lightened flywheel and MK4 shifter set up in the classifieds which looks like a good option as well.

18. nealey Forum Junkie

Funkbarons 12v vr6 thread/conversion guide found here

Here is his 12v vr6 to 24v vr6 conversion guide

Actually this is the 12v to 24v thread but the above link has another link about what to do!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  19. Willber Forum Member

Cheers nealey will have a good read of them! Funds permitting I would like to do the VR6 conversion with V5 o2a box and Mk4 shifter setup. Can flog the ABF parts easy enough

20. Willber Forum Member

Can I use a MK3 ABF PAS setup on the VR6 or does it use different components? My Mk2 is non PAS at the minute but if fitting the VR6 I will need PAS.