ABF to VR6 - Convince me!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Willber, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Willber Forum Member

Sounds good to me! Where is the best place to buy Megasquirt kits from? I will spend some more time studying the MS threads tonight to familiarise myself with what is needed. I have a spare old laptop which I will get working again to help with the mapping.

2. prof Forum Addict

good luck and keep us posted

3. Willber Forum Member

OK so right now I have a full ABF setup and a full VR6 setup. Still debating as to which route to go down, half of me says I like the simplicity of the 020 box with ABF and no PAS. But the other half of me says I also like the idea of a rip-snorting VR6 with V5 gearbox (3.9fd)

Can't bloody make my mind up! Maybe I should try both of them?! Stick one setup in and then spend some time learning about how to re-build the other engine at which point I can stick it straight on eBay or drop it into the car.

4. mexicorich Forum Member

The original 12v VR6 if left standard is a heavy thirsty numb thing that isn't even very torquey. A tuned one maybe fun on a track but the last thing I'd choose on the road, like a bull elephant on heat! I've still got half the cars I've ever owned but don't own a VR6 any longer.

Just make sure you fit new cam chains and tensioners before you bolt the big heavy thing in...............

Maybe I'm just getting too old :-)

5. Willber Forum Member

Thanks for the input mexicorich. I would be overhauling either of the engines prior to fitment, pretty much re-built the whole car so far. Anything replaceable has been replaced!

Another thing is the re-sale value. Normally I wouldn't care about this sort of thing but MK2's are only going to become increasingly sort after as time goes on. I can imagine an ABF 16v would be easier to sell than a VR6. More true to the GTi principle I think, but an updated version bringing it into the 2000's so that it can still hold its own.

6. mexicorich Forum Member

My thoughts exactly :-)
    KR cammed ported ABFs are super things and the suspension still works on a bumpy road!

7. Willber Forum Member

I would install it in standard form to start with and make sure it is running tip top before making any modifications to the engine. If running 020 box I would get an ARP diff bolt kit to prevent blowing the box up and would also fit a lightened flywheel.

It will be cheaper on the insurance too, and fuel. I should bear this in mind as I have a Moto Guzzi motorbike which I plan to do some work on, pass my bike test and also buy a Discovery to do a spot of off roading in.

I am my own worst enemy!

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

My 2.1 ABF is finally up and running, and hitting 8400rpm no problems.
    There is a difference between this and the last engine in the mk1 though, which can only be the box. I'm now using an 02a, and as short and qiuck as it is, it just doesn't make the car feel lively. Personally I prefer the 020. More precise, lighter and a good selection of easily available ratio's.
    Add a diff bolt kit, either VW or Quaife(VW cheaper on the 020) and you're onto a winner.

9. Willber Forum Member

Hi Hotgolf - do you know the part no. for the diff bolt kit? I will be after your services for the flywheel. Could I send you the box to fit the diff bolt kit and lighten the flywheel at the same time? PM if needs be.

10. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I'll pm you later mate.

11. turbotommy Forum Member

To add my 2p worth.
    Being a fan of the ABF motor,it would be great in a mk2 with about 170bhp+ not worth the effott if less and going much above that will cost ALOT,fun though with the right gearing.
    My choice would be to stick a std vr6 in it,enjoy noise (through many tunnels lol) save your spare pounds in a few jars and when ready,buy a bolt on ZF supercharger kit for it.
    You'll get around 260+ bhp (who cares how much torque) performance & noise to die for and its alot easier than say an eaton ABF conversion.
    Just my opinion & what i'd do if it was me (and i've been in/driven more than 1 charged VR)

12. Willber Forum Member

Very interesting opinions from everyone so far and I have taken it all on board. My ideal engine setup initially for either would be as follows......

ABF:

020 Box with bolted diff kit
    Lightened flywheel
    Complete new exhaust including manifold
    No PAS

VR6:

V5 gearbox (due to 3.9fd) with MK4 shift tower (maybe short shift kit too)
    Lightened flywheel
    PAS

Later on down the line I would look at cams for either engine and also an LSD for the gearbox however I would be more inclined to get a LSD fitted to the VR6 from the off to make sure I can utilise all of the extra power. I do very much like the idea of a supercharger though!!

13. turbotommy Forum Member

Cams & an LSD for the ABF would be about the same money as a S/charger for the Vr6 though (my point exactly) diff is not as important with a charger compared to a turbo IMHO but yes i agree it helps get the power down (just tried a wavetrac in a mk2 20v on friday)

14. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

VR6 with a shorter FD and lightened flywheel is an entirely different beast.

I sat with my shedlike mk2 vr6 track toy watching GVK break engine after engine then gearbox after gearbox and eventually he went VR6 and hasn't looked back.

VR6 all the way. I know loads of people that have gone VR6 for both road and track cars and I've heard very few complaints.

Just the noise wins it for me!

15. rankadoodle Forum Member

I agree with rigs the noise alone if enough to want a vr. The best thing about vr is that while sounding great it's really not loud and annoying like a honda fart tube. The note is smoother than you can hum (or fart:lol:) while the power band sounds like a mad spitfire.

Unless a track car, no need to super/turbo a mk2. To me (OPINION) a turbo/super kills the good sound. They can sound good, just not n/a good (/OPINION.) Cams, chip, exhaust, other light mods needed only for a daily car. The power to weight is already insane, good youtube clip of a mk2 vr6 stock vs mk3 vr turbo. The mk2 stayed ahead of the mk3 until the end of 4th or 5th gear. A more street-able upgrade would be bigger exhaust and intake valves along with cams and ecu to suffice. Stage 2 and 3 heads can be had for less than a kinetics stage 1 kit.

Cheers,

-98 vr glx

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  16. miggs2002 Forum Member

i have gone from an ABF to the VR, the power peaks a bit earlier with the VR but the torque is awesome, followed by the VR soundtrack i wouldn't ever go back to anything with less than 6 cylinders now, as for the fuel pump, it thought that the 16v pump is ideal for the conversion although i would probably got for the VR item, for real detailed info go to MK2VR6.com they help me a lot

17. Willber Forum Member

What kind of setup do you have otherwise on the car? Are you running std vr6 gearbox and shifter? Widetrack?

Cheers

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Willber - have you still not made up your mind yet??

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

Noise noise noise! :lol:

[​IMG]

[YOUTUBE]xdgOEPzY6tI[/YOUTUBE]