Toyotec's How to install an ABF engine in your Mk2 Golf. Revisit of KJet car 180610

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Toyotec, Jul 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. stelios51 New Member

conversion

hi ive got a 1.6 driver carb with a 5 geared gearbox not sure which one and is 1991 h reg , and i hav a 2.0 litre mk3 gti for a donor car which is a n reg , just wondering which part of the thread that i should be looking at and any tips would be much appreciated :):thumbup:

thanks

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

is the Mk3 Gti you have a 2.0 8V or 2.0 16V?

3. stelios51 New Member

It's a 2 litre 16valve :)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok, do you want to run it on abf management, k-jet, or megasquirt? when you decide, look at relevant section in this thread ;)

i would go with the abf management as you have everything you need, but megasquirt will get you more out of the engine if you have deeper pockets and know a tame tuning expert :thumbup:

5. stelios51 New Member

Ahrite think the abf will be the way forward as its only gonna be a wee cheap project , do you know if all the gear linkages will be best of the mk3 or just use the ones on the 1.6 ?? , ur very quick at postin back lol much appreciated :)

6. Kempster Forum Member

Probably been covered before but cant find anywhere - can you put abf into a 8v kjet mk2 how does it differ from the 16 v kjet install

many thanks

7. rubjonny

yes, same job you just have to buy a few more bits if you want to run it on k-jet. need all the kr k-jet managment stuff, pipes, wur, etc. if you have 6 bolt flange downpipe canjust bolt to kr manifold, or change whole zaust for 16v

8. Kempster Forum Member

Cheers for quick response, does it make the conversion easier or harder if i was to convert to dignifant ?

9. rubjonny

if you can wire, its easier as you can get all the bits you need from the donor car. if you cant wire then its a bit more difficult, though you could send the loom to me and i'll do it for you ;)

the other thing is with the digi there is no ign timing, co or wur mod to do everything is all nice and ecu controlled. plus you have diagnostics which can help sometimes when trying to figure things out.

comes down to personal preference really!

10. Kempster Forum Member

Cheers Jonny, I will definatly be calling on you again - one last question for today but i assure you there will be more,

am i right in thinking if i go dignifant i would need to by more parts than if i just went for kjet

i like the idea of diagnostics etc

11. rubjonny

weeeelll, it depends what comes with your engine basically. if you get all the inlet pipes,. loom, ecu, manifold + downpipe then you have pretty much everything right there. need mk2 fitment airbox or a cone filter, and a cat bypass, or just get a boss welded to your old downpipe.if you get a base abf engine on its own then either way you have a big list of stuff to buy!

worth noting that they stopped making krs in early 90s or thereabouts, so thats how old most of the bits you'll find will be. abf was being made up to around 1998 so they're that bit newer. most of the abf bits are quite cheap to buy new, wheras say if you wanted a new metering head, or wur, or accumulator you're talking hundreds of quids! but there are always bargains, i got low milage motorsport metering head and lines for 80 a while ago which made my k-jet abf go quite well. i still went digi in the end though after i found all the bits i needed!

12. Typ53 New Member

Along a similar vein, and forgive me if I've missed the answer earlier in the thread, but I've been given a 2E loom and ECU, it looks like a simplified digi 3 ECU (I think it's ML5.9 rather than the MP4.4 in the ABF) but I'm struggling to find out much about it.

I'm toying with installing this in place of K-Jet in a modified KR as a project. The car has Schrick 268/276 blends, flowed head, 4 branch manifold and Remus sports system. I'd like to do something that at least looks factory, be it an EFi transplant or finding an ECU housing that will hold the guts of a standalone ECU (and thus making it look factory).

Can the 2E system be chipped to work with 16v? I assume it's a case of playing with the map and limiter, but I'm struggling to find any concrete info on the 2E loom, what sensors the ABF and 2E share and really the ECU too. Can anyone shed some more light?

13. rubjonny

not worth the effort really, it would be quite hard to get it to work and you would need a lot of abf bits.

the only thing the abf and 2e share is the isv and tps! the 2e makes use of afm, abf has map. 2e has 4 window dizzy, abf has 1. 2e doesnt have a crank sensor, abf does. plus 2e is batch fire injection and abf which is sequential. you probably would struggle to find a map for it as well!

SEAT ADL management would work directly with the KR, its a slightly cut down version of the ABF and doesnt use a crank sensor. but if i were you i would mount an external trigger wheel either aftermarket crank pulley mounted or oem vw polo sensor then use abf management. well, really i would just buy an abf ;)

theres nothing wrong with the oem kr management if you make it work right and tune it properly, if you want EFI on kr best way is megasquirt really you'll get much better results than trying to bodge up the 2e management to work.

14. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

How hard is it to do the wiring harness RJ? (as you have a back log)

15. rubjonny

its not too hard if you have 90spec, if you have pre-90 then it will take you a bit more head scratching and work reading thru wiring diagrams. i can take you thru it step by step if need be!

16. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

well when the time comes I think I might have have go my self...and ask alot of question as I would like to keep CE1 in my golf

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This original purpose of this thread, focuses on conventional ways to fit an ABF engine to a MK2 vehicle, with relative ease using mostly as installed components or intergrating with already established OEM hardware.

Looking factory is one desire, but what are the other reasons behind binning the K-system?
    More precise engine control to match your now custom aircharge set up?
    Yes you can use a SPI ECU housing and connector to act as an adapter for an SEM. However this would be easier if the car already came with an ABF engine control loom as std.
    In such a case I would just install the SEM and make a custom engine control loom.

As already mentioned it would not be as simiple as "chipping" and possibly not worth the effort, although if you were very determined and had all the resources to intergate, use alternative input sensors and recalibrate the 8v fuel/spark tables, it could be done.

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Orginal MK2 fuse box and wiring layout are just as easy to understand as the updated one that followed. They just take more time to intergrate an engine control harness from a later era sucessfully.
    Once you respect the wiring format and work with it to install the new engine control harness. you will have not problem.

19. Typ53 New Member

Thanks for the advice, and sorry for taking the thread it off topic a touch.

My motivation for going EFi is optimisation really. Despite what people say, a flat plate in an airflow is the most draggy shape you can get so there are improvements to be made there. Likewise the 2E AFM will be draggy. ADL/ABF style MAP sensing is almost more efficient. Add to that the inability to edit the KR ignition map and you see where I'm going.

EFi provides the ability to better tune the system to the mods that are already in place. I haven't gone full ABF swap because I've already invested a fair bit of time & energy etc in the original KR. I was interested in swapping the ABF management or similar over (hence my question about the 2E gear that has landed in my lap) but given the advice here I'll run with SEM and modify/add to the 2E loom for that.

Thanks Toyo/RJ.

20. Silver_Giraffe New Member

This thread has made me get out over the winter and abf my mk2. So far so good, and apart from having to hack my exhaust manifold to pieces its all gone really well. This is all down to this thread, so first of all thanks for all the good info!

I bought an abf block and head, had it all refurbed and I've been steadily transferring things over. I'm stuck on a couple of things. Apologies if I've missed the info, but here goes: -

1) The KR unit doesn't have a crank sensor, but the abf needs something in the crank sensor hole. Have you guys used a std abf crank sensor? If so, have you plugged the other end into anything?

2) The oil output from the block (above the oil cooler) has 2 plugs on the KR, but 3 on the ABF. Have you just disregarded the 3rd plug on the KR unit?

Sorry if I've missed this in the pages of info.

Thanks!

Rob.