MK2 2.5" Exhaust systems. They're Here!

Discussion in 'Trackslag.com' started by Trackslag, Jun 9, 2012.

1. thegave Forum Member

Exactly what richgit said.

I know angled exit is OEM but it still looks funny.

Just curious how sound will be factored into design, will it be no compromises maximum flow? Would like it to be not much louder (ideally quieter...) than my mild 2.5" Jetex, which appears to be about as quiet as aftermarket gets.

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mathew ... how do you intend catering for customers differing manifolds and ARBs ?

3. Trackslag

Trackslag Forum Member Trader

It's great that we're all on the same page with the tail pipes. The cutout in the bumper is quite large so we'll probably scale things up a bit to make them look more at home. Whilst some people may prefer to mirror polish theirs, we're thinking that they should finished with a scotch pad to give that purposeful look. I'll post a couple pics up when I've done a couple of tests.
    It's obviously going to sound different on different cars but it may even sound different on identical cars running the same setup. Unfortunately it's one of those how long is piece of string questions.
    We're aiming for something that will not upset your neighbours by rattling the china, it will be more of a refined sound. If you've listened to a quality system before, you'll know what I'm trying to describe. This is a bit like trying to describe the taste of strawberries, lol.
    The system will be designed to mate with our range of downpipes but we're aware of other peoples needs, be it 8v, 16v, 20v etc...we'll just have to deal with the differing connections as they crop up. I'm glad that you've mentioned the ARB's though James :thumbup:
    I'll have a trawl around to check what peoples clearances are like. Are you aware of any specific setups with clearance issues?
    Thanks everyone.

4. Trackslag

ARB clearance problems solved. The car that we will be using for the jig will have Eibach front and rear ARBs'.

5. Trackslag

[​IMG]

Both of the above have been squared off so as to make them look as thick as possible, but the one on the left is a gnats thicker. The one on the left is 2" diameter but we can get it in 2.5" diameter.
    I think you'll agree that the extra wall thickness is subtle but it makes a huge difference to the look and feel of the tail pipes.
    Finish could be left to the individual but a general rule is that shinier is better for surface corrosion resistance.

6. thegave Forum Member

I assume will also sound better?

Definitely worth the (incremental) weight penalty.

7. Trackslag

I too considered the weight penalty but reasoned it away with the logic that it was only going to be used on the tail pipes and the weight would be very low down. I've got the pipe that you can see in the picture hanging around the house and it looks better every time i see it. We could be onto something here..
    Glad you like it.
    The thicker wall on the tail pipes may give a slightly different tone, but I wouldn't want to bet on hearing it as much as you would the difference between mild steel to stainless to titanium full systems (if that's what you mean? :))

8. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

I need a decent back box! i have a full 2.5 inch from the qpenq down pipe. It is a work of art and only loud under heavy boost but not over loud even at a 130mph on autobahn!! (to scared to go faster)

But a back box with twin tails like 16V would go down well.. I lknow BBT do them but not the right size..

I will get one built on return to uk no doubt but iff of the shelf....................

9. thegave Forum Member

If they're just for the tails wouldn't a twin 2.5" exit look very big?

I'm on the fence now between square cut and inward rolled exits.

I was thinking thicker walled stainless through out would improve the exhaust note but I guess things definitely start getting heavy then.

10. Trackslag

Skydivebaz- We will be posting these Europe wide, so no problem.

thegave- I was worried that 2.5" wasn't going to be big enough, but with proper spacing I think that they would look at home. My opinion of the rolled edge would be that it doesn't look like it belongs on something built to perform, it has no function. It looks wrong to me because I can almost see turbulence rolling over the lip..sad, I know.
    If we were to use the thicker wall stuff all of the way through, it would lead to an extra 25% weight. So yes, very heavy.
    I know what you mean about tone on stainless systems, but our systems have a bit of soul.

11. richgit Forum Junkie

Mathew - any chance you could hold up / support a pair of 2'' and then a pair of 2.5'' pipes by the rear bumper cut out to compare with some pics straight on / from the side / top?

12. Trackslag

Hi Rich, that's where I was heading next with this. I'll sort it out.

13. Trackslag

These are the pipes which I'm going to stage in the rear of a big bumper Mk2.
    They range from 2.5" (far left) to 2" (far right). I must admit that I've been doubting the 2.5" as well. Most 2.5" twin pipes seem to look oversize when you see them but the mk2 rear bumper has a very large cutout, which leads me back to not being sure...
    We'll find out soon enough!
    [​IMG]

14. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

I more wish for a OEM look like vw heritage do in but in 2.5. not the exit as im sure twin exit normal size would not restrict? but in a 2.5 inch system

I neeed one.

My German system is ace as 2.5 and three silencers but still hits under body at the rear beam but a horrible single exit.

15. Trackslag

Hi everyone, set out below are 3 different pipe sizes staged within a rear bumper. The first is 2.5"

[​IMG]

The next is 60mm

[​IMG]

And the 2.25"...

[​IMG]

Hmmmm....???

16. richgit Forum Junkie

they all look a bit small [:s]

maybe put them a bit closer together as they look a bit far apart at the mo?

17. Trackslag

This is better :)
    2.5"

[​IMG]

Next is the 60mm

[​IMG]

And the 2.25"

[​IMG]

This is to decide pipe diameter only, not the finish.

18. richgit Forum Junkie

2.5 is best out of those! :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  19. Trackslag

These are 3" rolled. They look too big (in my opinion) but get away with it a little bit due to the wider wheels.

[​IMG]

20. Trackslag

This is a close up of what our rolled tips look like

[​IMG]