1.8 KR with ABF cams anyone?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Phil., Aug 30, 2008.

1. Phil. Forum Junkie

I did a rr run with the abf cams but engine was on its way out, using and losing oil at the time. Quite funny the amount of smoke that was produced so my before and after data is useless.

I've since bought an abf engine and will be running abf head and block on kjet.

I can say the abf cams felt good before the engine started burning oil. Plenty of low down torque and pulled just as hard up top as the kr cams.

2. Lamamk1 New Member

Well, I'm really glad to see that someone have ABF cams in 1.8L 16v engine, i got them in my engine too, and car is really driveable down low...average MPG's are far better than with PL/KR cams but i think that ABF starts loosing power after 6500, and KR cams are going up to the 7000...

but rolling start from 50km/h in second gear ABF vs KR.. any time... :p

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

My KR engine has only done 110k, & im in a quandry as to what I should do?

1. Spend on a flowed head for the KR & fit ABF cams

OR

2. Fit my donor ACE 2L in the summer & fit an ABF inlet cam to that to effectively have a 9A/6A block with ABF head....[:s]

I think the 2L is the route Id like to take, though I want to ensure transmission reliability whilst persisting with an 020 box...

More power/torque is going to be detrimental to the reliability from experience...though it must be said I think most reliability issues in the past were as a result of more than stock RPM's

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

2.0 all the way! The box won't blow unless you're abusing it regularly. A bolted diff would help a lot.

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

:lol:

I suppose i know its the best route[:$] Might keep my eye out for a S/H 020 with a Quaife too[:$]

The problem with having owned a fully fettled 190BHP mk2 and then a tweaked DC2 is its hard to go back to standard mk2 power[:$]

It even still had the OEM 20 year old suspension when I bought it[:$] Entertaining to drive if nothing else[xx(]

I think the ideal road spec motor will be the 2L ACE block with ABF cams & a lightened flywheel. Need to have a think about my exhaust options before that little lot too...All set up & WUR modded by Vince it should go well;)

Eventually I suspect il end up with something along the lines of the GVK/Tubs mk2's back in the day.... (minus the boxes blowing every 2 weeks with luck!![:$] )