1.8T conversion in to a Mk2

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by bowza, Dec 29, 2004.

1. bowza New Member

Hi all, ive recently moved from Puntos to Golfs. Ive got a MK2 5dr and want to convert it. So last week i got myself a 1.8T lump and all the extra's. All i need now is the good advise of you guy's. so my first question is, does anyone know where i can get converted engine mount's. I do have the old ones but i assume there's no way there going to fit. Cheers in adance guys.

2. theboymike Forum Junkie

I think the enigne mounts will physically fit as the 1.8T block is based on the same casting as the normal 1.8 block.. although most people tend to go with uprated mounts, due to the monster torque from the engine ;)
    Not sure where to source them, though [:[]

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

You arent distinguishing between the mounts and the brackets.

The brackets you remove from your existing block and fit tot he 1.8T block, then use G60 engine mounts, or vibratechnics mounts.

The gearbox side depends on which gearbox you choose to use. :)

4. bowza New Member

Cheers Guys, ill be using the standard gearbox that came with the engine.

5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Idealy you'll want a MK3 16v cable change box, or one from a passat, as that will botl straight up with zero hassles other than the fitment of hydraulic clutch and cable change

6. oak_grun Forum Member

would a mk2 16v box be up to the job?? thats wot i'll be using!! :)

7. ViCk Forum Member

A Mk2 box would'nt last too long and would need a rebuild at the least. The Mk3 16v boxes are very strong and the ratios are more suited to turbo applications.

For the Mk3 16v box, try and source one from a Seat if you don't want the hassle of going hydraulic clutch etc. You would definately want uprated engine mounts, as these engines are VERY torquey once chipped and set up.

8. oak_grun Forum Member

so i take it then the 16v box from a seat are still cable change but dn't require the hydrolic clutch/ pedal box etc etc.....sorry for the ignorance!! [:s]

9. ViCk Forum Member

Yup, well my one is. They use a self adjusting clutch cable :)

10. oak_grun Forum Member

and it came from a 2.0 16v engine....i though all them would have been hydroically operated....so wots the code of the box u have in ur's vick?

is ur mk1 runnig 20vt power>??

cheers

11. bowza New Member

ok well i found a company called Voodo motorsport and their web site says this

Why do you not use the standard engine's ECU and why choose DTA instead?

The standard Bosch Motronic engine management system is an excellent piece of electronic hardware. It cost millions to develop and is incredibly complex. For security reasons these ECU's have in-built immobilisers that are linked to the instrument cluster and the ignition key. This means that to use the standard ECU you would either have to include the clocks and keys or opt for a software decode which can cost hundreds of pounds. Even then you are still left with an engine that will run at factory settings (e.g. standard power).

The E48EXP system is effectively a blank ECU. It has no immobiliser and no 'map' to enable the engine to run. Once fitted, the system must be tuned (usually on a chassis dynamometer or 'rolling road') and can therefore allow the engine to operate to its full potential hence increasing power output.

The E48EXP is not as complex as the original Bosch system, and tuning normally takes a few hours as opposed to the months of development that VW and Audi invest in their systems. As such, vehicles using non-standard management are not as perfectly refined as the cars that leave the factory. But this is not to say that the car will be cantankerous to drive, it will still be very smooth yet powerful.

I have the keys,clocksand ignition with my new engine and was going to use them. does anyone know why i shouldn't.

12. ViCk Forum Member

My car is a 2.0 16v ABF from a Seat Ibiza. It uses all the Seat stuff: engine, 02A cable change gearbox, ecu, loom etc.

The same setup is used in the Mk3 Golf 16v including the cable change Gearbox, but the Mk3 Golf 16v uses hydraulic clutch etc, whereas the Seat clutch is cable operated.

13. oak_grun Forum Member

ahh...ok...wots vehicles were these gearboxs available in?? thanks for much useful info their vick! :)

14. Seizure Forum Member

I'm running standard Audi management in mine. A bit more hassle yes, but as a daily car I think it makes them more driveable. Mine is REVO'd although I'm running standard power at the mo.

IMHO after market management if OK if you're building a track car and need to tweak the map regularly etc. but not as a road car. No doubt others will disagree though.

15. oak_grun Forum Member

im planning to use audi management. if i use a seat 16v gearbox(cable change) does this mean i could use a cable for the cluth>?? as it says above!!??

is anyone running this configeration?? or should i got the whole way and fit a hydrolic clutch, pebal box...??

pros & cons of these 2 setups??
    [:D]

also wot code gearbox this the SEAT one?? - cheers
    Edited by: oak_grun

16. veedubber Forum Member

You dont need the Seat box............ you can use any cable change box that you can get your hands on.

But if you dont want the hydraulic clutch set up in your car, you can just use the bracket that Seat used on there boxes so the cable clutch can stay.

stef

17. Davs Forum Member

theres a few posts about this, but a good gearbox to use is the 02A gearbox from a mk3 Golf 16v.

Your mk2 driveshafts should bolt up no problems and then you use the flywheel from the mk3 that you took the gearbox from. Some get this lightened but its not essential.

Most people use a VR6 clutch as this will take more torque, and a Sachs uprated VR6 is a good option.

As for the hydraulic clutch operation, you will need the pedal box and clutch master cyclinder from any hydraulic clutch mk3 golf or passat. Take from the donor car the brake fluid reservoir too as this has an outlet to feed the clutch master cylinder.

I think you need the starter motor from a mk3 16v too, but i am not sure.

18. micky1 Forum Member

I'm running S3 motor and ecu etc.passat 16v box with hydraulics.VR clutch and flywheel.

19. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

This is correct - This particular box has ratios that will allow you to hit 60mph in second, giving you a good 0-60mph time - (If you can get the traction ;))

Your MK2 gti driveshafts wil bolt up fine to the MK3 16V box - flanges are the same.

Another alternative is a G60 Sachs Power Clutch - will handle 280+ bhp fine.

That's correct. I'm sure you can use other starter motors from an 02A box aswell.

Hope that's of some help

20. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

I've used a solid front engine mount, a Vibratechnics rear and a MK3 VR6 gearbox mount. Had no problems so far :)