120 degrees oil temp too high?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by G60KG, Jun 4, 2009.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

My 2L 16v Corrado's oil temp climbs up to around 118-120 around town, is this too high? if it does go that high the fan does control it somewhat. What should it read in normal stop start town driving even in this weather? Water pump is new, coolant is new.

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

It is a little on the high side, I would be expecting it to sit around 110 not much over.

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Mine runs at about 104-106 around town. Not usually any more than 108 sometimes. I too have the 2.0 ABF.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Might be worth swapping the sender as a first step.

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

thats too high - if you were on a trackday then fair enough but not normally - 100-110 max

6. prof Forum Addict

normally happens when your rad is on it's last legs, ECP do decent ones for 60

7. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Whats your water Temps like?

Could try fitting a thermostate that opens at a lower water temp. As the primary oil cooler on the car is water cooled (unless you have an external one) if you can lower the water temp a few degrees, this may also help cool the oil a bit more.

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

water temp according to the dash is always quite low around 70 iirc and goes around 110 only when in traffic really. the thing is the car does try to control the temp, its not like the temp just keeps going up and up so i guess thats something positive lol. maybe a rad change would do the trick. Could the high temp be an indication of anything else majorly wrong with the engine?

9. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Water temp 110?

I'd have a look at that if I were you. Something ain't right there either. Rad (as prof suggests) and/or thermostat is where I would look first.

You can't expect your oil temps to ever be lower than the thing that is cooling it (i.e the water) so if your seeing 118 - 120 oil temps around town, and 110 water temps in traffic (also usually in town) then you need to get that water cooling thing sorted and happily stting at 90 degrees on the clock no matter what is going on.

Else you could end up looking down the FUBAR'd headgasket route if your engine is running far too warm.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

just checked the oil, admitedly itwas quite low so I topped it up and took it for a 10min run around town and it hovered around 116 -118 then eventually crept up to 120. the bottom rad hose did get hot after a while so thermostat is working. Guess Ill change the rad as the water temp did sit at 110.

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

have a look at the small hose that run's from the header tank to the top of the radiator

in just changed my radiator and found that the hose was blocked in the middle
    and there was nothing wrong with the old radiator

12. redbaron Forum Member

my mk2 16v runs at 100 on open road/fast stuff, 104 when absolutely caning it through twisties and 106-112 round town. fan kicks in at 106 IIRC.

All MFA oil temps so could be complete lies.

Water temp gauge normally sits at 1/4 or 1/3 when moving along and goes up to 1/2 when scorchio.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I didnt think that would affect the temp. So if I disconnect it from the reservoir and rev should it spray?

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i got 120* oil temp after three consecutive laps at the ring in 32* ambient temp. the car was cooking

15. MUSHY 16V

i think any deficiency in the cooling system will affect the oil temp

for peace of mind i would change the thermostat and at the same time remove all the hose's
    from the radiator and oil cooler and flush the radiator and oil cooler out with a hose pipe

i would also check all the hose's to make shour non of them have gone hard and colapsed

make shour you get a vw thermostat and not a patern one

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

spot on mushy... i had a febi one in my ABF. the real vw stat should be 82*, the febi one was 92*. my oil temps are now lower (back to normal) in all situations

17. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I hate messing around with that pas bracket...going to see if the local dealer can get one by this afternoon.

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

so should I change the thermostat and check the small pipe isnt blocked before forking out on a rad?

19. prof Forum Addict

yep

20. MUSHY 16V

yes that what i would do

that small pipe is a little [:x]
    it was blocked right where it was cliped to the fuel pipe bracket

3 for a bit of pipe

106,89 for a new radiator[:^(]