1600cc 8v 193BHP for sale

Discussion in '8-valve' started by R.b!n_16v, Dec 9, 2010.

1. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

http://link.marktplaats.nl/402381345

Its for sale in holland its not my engine.

Translate:

Here i offer a 1600cc 8v kugelfischer injection motor.

Engine is one race old.

Dyno figures are 192bhp 208nm

Engine is used in europokal 1600cc beetle class.

Engine is with adapter plate, flywheel, clutch,ignition.

The camshafts are special defelped by spitznagel.

The engine is also for sale with out the adapter plate flywheel and exhaust system.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

looks neat... look at the size of that filter!! WOOO!! lol

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The crank waterpump pulley looks to be down geared.

5. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  6. chopperoli Forum Member

interesting- is it a new beetle x-flow head with an 80mm crank?

7. danster Forum Addict

That vid is quite something. Safe to say the engine may have been revved a little. :lol:

It looks like the later crossflow head. I would think they will be based on the later 77.4mm crank if they use production parts.
    I seem to recall a 1.6 20v screamer too. Possibly in the same type of event? The regs required them to use std rods, which lasted about 2 meetings iirc. :o

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. Admin Guest

Mine has been down geared recently and I have experianced very high temps on track, so i would not like to think about the temps this high output engine may have hit:o unless this was done for some other reason?

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I was thinking cavitation, not that I pretend to understand how that happens!

So is yours running hotter with the smaller pulley, or are you hoping it settles down as a result of being slowed down?

10. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

It occurs when the absolute liquid pressure drops to vapor pressure and vapor bubbles form against the impeller surface. as the liquid pressure rises again the bubbles will implode impeding the efficiency/capacity of the pump and causing potential damage to the impeller blades.

11. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

Hahaha yeah it revved a litlle:p What do you mean if you can join with a 1600cc 20v? i thought the onley regs where the 1600cc but im not sure, i saw plenty of 16v engines i think the reason he is selling it is that he couldend keep up with the 16 valve boys:lol:

12. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

Runnig hotter with a smaller pully? smaller pully means more revs i think then it wil pumps harder and cools better i think? correct me if im wrong

13. danster Forum Addict

They install a short stroke crank to bring the normal 1.8 and 2.0 20v engines down to 1595cc.

1.8 20v has a bore of 81mm, same as the 1.6 which uses the shorter stroke crank.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's the other way round [:s] - the crank pulley would need to be bigger to drive the water pump pulley faster.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This car is/was a 1.6 20v n/a:

[​IMG]

16. danster Forum Addict

Pic is not good enough, I need vid for the sound. :lol:

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

18. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

was close:lol:

19. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

nope, your wrong.

because it is an engine driven pump therfore subject to the rotational forces applied by the crank the impeller blades within the pump will have been optimised to give a maximum flow rate within a certain speed range, factors such as their length, angle of rotation about their vertical axis, pitch in reation to the blades horizontal axis etc etc.

if it were an elactric pump it would just flow at exactly the optimum range all the time which is why they are more efficient.

assuming the engine predominantly operates within a given rev range as most engines do then it would be possible to specifically gear the pump drive so that it is syncronised to this speed whilest maintaining the pump efficiency - note efficiency will be lost outside this range in comparrison to the normal specification (assuming vw got it right to begin with).

the advantages to this may be the ability to lighten or reduce the diameter of the pumps wheels potentially in a racing engine could have an effect on engine balance, parasitic engine loadings etc

however if the regs allowed it would be much better to just use a high flow electric pump drawing minimum current and flowing the at the optimum rate for that particular application.

and yep, this set up could concievably introduce cavitation into the system which would drastcally reduce pump efficiency and potentially damage the impeller blades by litterally blowing bits off!

20. danster Forum Addict

That is probably why they have fitted a smaller crank pulley. The engine is revving way higher than it or the water pump were designed to go. Hence the reduction in gearing by changing pulleys from oem sizes.

I fit a far larger alternator pulley to stop over spinning the alt on trackdays for the same reason.