16v Compression Raito..

Discussion in '16-valve' started by VeeDubbed.co.uk, Jun 10, 2004.

1. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Right my project car is a mk1 Golf Formel E.
    But it has a MK2 1.8 GTI Engine In it.

So The Driver Side Engine Mount has been moved back to where is it in bigger engine model MK1's

I Want to Fit a 16v Engine in it I am planning on building the engine myself
    and source bits over time so that when my bodywork Brakes/Suspension are complete my engine will be ready to put in.

Now i have set my mind on building a 16v Turbo.

but it seems there might be some space issues in fitting one.

Im not Sure what block i should use.

I Think a ABF Block + KR Head and 2E Pistons

which I belive is a mk3 2.0 16v Block mk3 2.0 8v Pistons and a MK2 1.8 16v Head.

This should lower my compression Raito to around 8:1 with stock 16v Head Gasket.

But will it fit under my bonnet ? are there any other options i can go for to lower CR ?

Say for a standard KR Engine.

Im Guessing the KR Head would fit on my Current 8v Block
    But i would still have STD Compression Raito. so i still need custom pistons to lower it. ?

Edited by: VeeDubbed.co.uk

2. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

KR head on your 8v block would still give you a decently low compression ratio for turbocharging, without changing pistons or adding gaskets etc.

3. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Just Checked The Haynes. Book I Have 1.8 16v Has a CR of 10.0:1 and a 1.8 or 1.6 8v Has a CR of 9.0:1

So Say i had a Copper Headgasket that would bring CR to About 8:1

I Read somewhere it brings it down by 1 Point...some site selling one so im guessing it's by 1.0 rather than 0.1 or maby it's all complete Bull.

Anywhere to get detailed information on the 8v and 16v Engines the haynes is a bit vauge id like to try and work out the exact CR and what Block/Head/Piston Combos to use to get variuos Compression Raitos.

Edited by: VeeDubbed.co.uk

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The mix of an 1.8l 8v block and a KR 16v head would give you a compression ratio of 8 to 1 or less - no need for a copper headgasket to go any lower! To be accurate you need to cc the head(s) (or find the numbers from someone else who has) and then do the calcs for the block, that'll give you the compression ratios......

5. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

I Have been told that the 16v Head CC is about 40cc

So Using this info how can i work out my CR

Tried searching on sites but it's not going well

6. VR6Will Forum Member

VeeDubbed - i think your missing the point, the reason why the compression lowers when you fit a 16v head on an 8v block is due to the dish on the 8v piston, on the 16v piston you dont have this dish, just notches cut out for the valves.

Easiest way to achieve what you want is like TSC says fit a 16v head onto an 8v block with normal gasket and you'll get approx 8/8.5:1 compression. Remember you'll need an oil pump, intermediate shaft/pulley and crank pulley all from a 16v to fit into the 8v block.

If you want a 2l short block you will need a 3a (from an audi) otherwise the others are all tall blocks from mk3's but still shouldnt have that much clearance trouble in a mk1 (correct me if im wrong)

7. VR6Will Forum Member

CR=CV+CCV
    CCV

CR=Compression Ratio
    CV=Cylinder Volume
    CCV=Combustion Chamber Volume

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

9. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Wouldn't it be easier to fit some 8v pistons to a 16v block, rather than change over all those parts? And wouldn't that also allow you to keep the oil squirters as well?

10. VR6Will Forum Member

depends if you want to rebuild the engine or not i suppose! if not than i would say no its not, just put the 16v head on an 8v block, takes about 5mins to swap the rest over!

also my 3a blocks has the piston oil squiters anyway!

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The parts are easy to swap, and the 2l 8v engines mostly have oil squirters anyway........

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Ah, you learn something new every day :)

13. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

So It Isnt Actually the Head that alters the CR Any...
    It's the Shape of the 8v Pistons. im sorry im trying to pick all this up in a few days but i think im finnaly getting it.

Reason i have been getting suggested to use a ABF Block with 2E Pistons is because that gives me a 2.0 16v instead of a 1.8 16v

I Using ABF Block from a mk3 16v GTI so i dont need to switch the intermediate shaft etc.. over to 16v Versions
    the 2E Pistons to Lower the CR from a 16v to a 8v
    and people recommend a KR Head because it has more advantages than the ABF One in a FI Situation.

Would this be right ?

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Bear in mind that you're going to have to hone the bores, replace the rings etc. if you want to swap pistons - a lot more work than swapping over the intermediate shaft and the rest......

15. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Think I have just sourced a 16v KR Lump

Suppose i was going to put some pistons in the KR Block are there any reccomendations. something stronger than a 8v Piston that lowers my CR to 8:1

I Want to do it cheap but i dont want to do all this work to find the 8v Block is burning oil.

The Head on my 8v dosent work anyway so i think i will take it off and checkout the bores of the thing before i decide what to do.

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

There are a million options - different aftermarket pistons, stacking headgaskets and using the KR pistons, rebushing the rods and using the KR pistons, copper headgasket, etc. etc.
    You really need to spend the time doing the research, deciding how much you want to spend, how much work you want to do yourself, how much power you want to put out....

17. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Been on the net everynight for last 3 days trying to find out more info on it.

Maby im being too specific on searching for a 16vt i should be more searching for Ways To Lower Engine Compressions etc..

Well howmuch is a stock 1.8 16v 140 ?

and a 2.0 170 ?

I Was Hoping for at least 200bhp +
    Money is a issue and isnt one.

I Get Money but i dont have it all now i was planning on building engine bit by bit.

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

A sorted 2 litre will push out 170, a standard 1.8 will push 140-150. If you run a complete 2 litre 16v (9a or 6A, or ABF) and only want around 200hp or a bit more you could easily get away with just running 2 headgeaskets stacked - no swapping of pistons, shafts etc. required.

19. VR6Will Forum Member

look at yahoo16vg60 group, loadsa info on there about supercharging and turboing a 16v! vwvortex, is another great site!

once you have your compression sorted, what you going to do about manifolds? you turboing it or supercharging it? you can use standard 42mm/50mm 16v inlet, or scirocco 16v 42/50mm inlet, or audi s2 inlet, or make your own, then exhaust system?? intercooler! list keeps going on and on and on and on! then you have to sort out management, cheapest is probably digi1

20. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

I See.

Hmm but if im going to the bother of making a manifold etc.. i might as well do a decent job

So Say i ran a KR Head ABF Block 2E Pistons

A Decent Turbo.. Havent looked at them much so i couldnt say what one i would use. what BHP Range would i be looking at.

250 + ?