16v fuel economy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by gavs16v, Feb 9, 2004.

1. superden Forum Addict

Bloody hell ! At 78.9p a litre thats a bargain ;) :lol:
    Edited by: superden

2. danthevan Forum Member

You tried disconnecting the battery for a bit Al?? Read on here if ya get dodgy readings, disconnect battery to reset the thing .

My 8v will average about 38mpg on motorway doing 85.

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

hey you're all doing well then, on a run to the garage and back,it started at 8mpg then went down to 6 by the time i got home :lol:

and the batteries always off when i leave it

cant help that its been standing for 1 1/2 years...

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

some of the time my current valver reads 20 mpg, some of the time it reads 12 mpg some of the time it reads 1 mpg, at the moment its reading 0mpg because the speedo has broken so it has nothing to calculate with lol

5. IDrive88VWGTI New Member

12 MPG is definitely not good gas mileage. All of my friends call my car the gas econobox due to his excellent gas mileage. Of course, the fact that all kinds of parts are new probably has something to do with it as well. I paid $1.99 last night for premium gas; it's horrible! I had 356 miles on my last tank of gas, and most of that was in town driving. All of my VW's have had excellent gas mileage, so I don't know why you're averaging 12 MPG.[:^(] I'll ask around and see if I can find out anything.

6. jenmk216v New Member

my mk2 16v is standard and I get 36mpg at 70, 39mpg at 60 and about 28-30 around town....

xxx

jen

7. Guests Banned

wow somethings up with my car then

i get 17-22 round town and 30 max on the motorway i dont tend to go less than 90 on the motorway tho

maybe its the way i drive? [:s]

8. danhock New Member

I get between 30-32mpg with a 16v mk2 engine in a Mk1...

9. AL

AL Forum Member

Danthevan, I'll give that a try, see if anything changes.

I'm pretty sure I'm actually doing alot more than 12mpg, something like thats going to be prety noticeable. I'll do the whole full tank of gas-miles travelled thing to get a proper idea of what shes drinking. Does anyone know how the mfa calculates its readings?