16v throttle bodies

Discussion in '16-valve' started by octane, Jan 17, 2005.

1. octane Forum Junkie

are the std 16v throttle body larger than the 8v?

2. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

K-jet one is 2 throttle plates..
    ABf ones are single ~60mm approx (with a big *bump* in them)

3. octane Forum Junkie

sorry, i just mean i know the adui throttle body for the 16v is larger than the 16v vw item, but is the 16v item larger than the 8v k-jet item?

4. flusted Forum Member

The audi throttle bodies are all the same as 8v and 16v.The only bigger throttlebody you can get is the weber firebreather but these are as good as extinct!

5. octane Forum Junkie

not sure thats true you know flusted [:s]

6. flusted Forum Member

If you want 1 that bolts straight on,then they are all the same size.If you want to adapt 1 to fit then theres no limit to what you could use.
    Wot audi are you on about?the 6a 2l 16v has same size tb as vw mk2 gti 8v and 16v k-jet and digi.
    Im pretty sure im right as ive been lookin for a bigger tb for about 1yr now,tried saab 16vs etc nothing that will bolt on without fabricating an adaptor plate.
    As bill states,mk3 gtis have a single butterfly tb but the bolt pattern is alot smaller so wont fit

7. davey j Forum Member

There is a lad on the performancevwmag forums using a larger bore Audi throttle body on an 8v rebuild, so they do differ, just not sure which one it is..........................

8. flusted Forum Member

I have an audi tb,a 16v tb and an MK2 8v tb here.THEY ARE ALL THE SAME SIZE!!!

9. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Same here, got 16v bodies from KR and passat 9A, and a Quattro 5 banger TB, and they're all the same. I think the bigger throttle body myth stems from the mk1/'rocco, when there was actually a later body that was bigger.

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

i got my rocco 16v t/b off the car i will take a pic when in the garage next :)

11. knobby New Member

Hey guys...

This is 16v throttle bodie related but not the same as about... do you know if the 16V boddies have issues with requiring cleaning attention like the 8v's.

Cheers
    D

12. flusted Forum Member

yeah proberly,the idle screw gets grubbed up too

13. davey j Forum Member

No need to shout.............................;)

The throttle body he is using (5 cylinder one if mem serves)requires him to bore the inlet manifold to make use of the extra diameter the TB gives him...................so, if they are the same size, WHY???

Anyhow, I am just a messenger and you know how the saying goes.....................
    Edited by: davey j

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

One on the left is the Quattro Tb off a 7A/NM 5 banger, one on the right is the original 16v KR TB. They are both identical in terms of throttle diameter, although interestingly the Quattro one will be more restrictive because it has a fat metal wedge attached to the smaller butterfly. I presume this is to help with throttle response off-idle.
    [​IMG]

15. davey j Forum Member

I will have a word with Gem now and ask him what Throttle body he is using.....................

16. flusted Forum Member

He obviously has a mk1 golf gti or rocco as these had the smaller tbs and when you fit the bigger 1s you need to open up the manifold to suit.vw sorted from mk2 onwards by fitting the bigger 1 on all gtis.

17. davey j Forum Member

No. He has a MK2 8v GTi with a 1.8 8v K-Jet lump in it. He is building a 2litre 8v using some Audi parts. The throttle body he has as he told me last night is at least 30% larger than the std 8v item it is off a 5 cylinderAudi engine as I already mentioned. He is a VAG technician, so I don't doubt a word of it. Anyhow he will be online later and can no doubt clear that one up himself ;)
    Edited by: davey j

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know gorillas with more ability than some of the dealer technicians i've met.

...although i'm sure he's one of the better ones :p

19. flusted Forum Member

I spose i could be made to eat my words but i cant see it myself. Please prove me wrong [:$]

20. Mr V Wagon Forum Member

You rang...:)