178bhp from a 1.816v !!!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by wussel, Nov 5, 2004.

1. wussel Forum Member

I have just got back from a rolling road where they power tested my mk2 Golf 1.8 16v at 137 bhp atw or roughly 178bhp at the flywheel. I am well chuffed with that, seeing as it only has a K+N filter, mild TSR reground cams, stainless 4 branch manifold and a Jetex 2.5" competion system.

It had previously put out 122atw or 158.5bhp on the same rollers before the exhaust stuff was fitted.

WHat sort of figures do other people get in their 1.8's? I thought 170bhp was roughly the limit with quite a bit of effort, seeing as 200bhp seems to be the magical barrier for well sorted 2.0 engines.

2. bdnimmo Forum Member

good result :clap:

3. smithy Forum Member

Nice one!! :) what was the torque figure?

4. wussel Forum Member

Rowleys Performance Engineering is where I took it and at the moment they have quite an old but accurate set of rollers which just give the wheels figure. It isn't hooked up to a computer or anything, so they just get a figure every 500 rpm.

Apparently to get the lb/ft torque figure you (bhp atw X 5252) all divided by the rpm. SO I did this for every 500 rpm and worked out that I now have 112.0lb/ft at a high 6000 rpm. To be fair it is very flat from 4000 upwards.

Before it was 107.1 lb/ft at 5000 rpm

But thinking about it now, I think those torque figures must be atw figures. Steve who does the rolling road messes some how with the atw figure to get the flywheel bhp. So I am not quite sure what the flywheel torque will be at 6000. It is 143.8lb/ft at 6500 using the 178 bhp, but at 6000 it will be slightly more, but I don;t know the flywheel bhp figure at that rev.

5. smithy Forum Member

143.8lb ft eh, are you sure you dont have a 2.0 in there?!

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

54bhp up on standard with jus that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No danger :)
    Edited by: Andy947

7. edc1 Forum Member

Plus 20bhp from an exhaust and manifold? You can't be serious. Hvae you been back on the same rolers the first figures came from?

8. wussel Forum Member

I knew this would happen :lol:

Everyone I know who has used Rowleys rollers says how well they compair to other companies. Earlier in the year I too it to Interpro and it put out 145bhp on a hot and humid day. 3 days later I took it to Rowleys on a much coler day and it was 147bhp with no changes, then we played with the timing and stuff and got it to 158.5bhp. Today with just the exhaust being different it is 178bhp at Rowleys. I will take it to another roling road soon to see how it compairs.

It is a KR block. It could of been bored out to 2L before I bought it, but I serious doubt it, casue it was as fast as my mates mk2 16v before I started modding.

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

mine put out 174 @ fly when i first had it set up :)
    new 45's,supersprint manifold and magnex system.

i didnt get a torque figure either...

dosnt matter anyway as long as its quick enough on the tarmac,mine used to blitz my dads 944 and the odd scooby.

10. coullstar Forum Member

Well I got 150bhp/126lb-ft ATF last week with a K&N,dual exhaust cam and Powerflow system and I was told that was good. You can see why people think its a bit high. There are good ones out there but not that good me thinks.

What did your play "with timing and stuff" involve?
    Edited by: coullstar

11. edc1 Forum Member

The figures per se aren't the puzzling thing it's just a very big gain of 20bhp from an exhaust system. I can see now that it was on the same rollers. Your previous exhaust must have been absolutely shafted or been bent/pinched so as to provide some real restriction to get such an increase IMO

12. wussel Forum Member

The "timing and stuff" was exactly this. We fitted the cams and set it to where it was before not knowing where that was, it turned out to be 15 degrees which gave 147bhp. The tuner retarded it back a tiny bit at a time until it got worse then took it back to the sweet spot which was 8 degrees which gave 158.5bhp. The stuff part of it involved trying the WUR mod we got acces to the screw on the back and adjusted it but each way we tried it it just got worse, so it went back to standard.

The old exhaust didn't seem to be ina bad state whe it was taken off, all VAG bits apart from an Ernst back box. Dunno what it was like inside though.

This Jetex systen is pretty much a straight through system, you could see light through the silencers, and there was only 2 of them compared to 3 on a standard system.

I'm not trying to con you all, just saying what has happened. I am not an engine tuning expert, I just follow the advice of people on here and other places. I want to go to another rolling road just to comfirm it all.

13. iguana Forum Member

Wussel, those figs do seem more than a tad high, stealth seems to be the most used & respected place for power figs & easiest to compare with others, as lots on here have been there.

14. GolfBryan Forum Member

I beleive you mate!

I don't know anything though!

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

If your before and after figs are on the same rollers, it doesn't really matter. More is More, and if it puts a big stupid grin on your face that's all that matters

I'm not convinced by the estimate of 20 extra at the fly for 15 extra at the wheels, but it's the ATW figure that really matters.

16. ianb Forum Member

17. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I am going stealth tomorrow! I have a 1.8kr. Will let you know how I get on.

18. wussel Forum Member

What spec is your KR then?

19. ValverPaul Forum Member

Nice one mate :clap: , they are only jealous!! :lol: ;)

20. Kingsley Forum Member

dont listen to all these pathetic responses, if thats what u got and it drives well good 4 u fuQ what everyone else says....