1987 Mk2 Golf Monza blue 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Cleaning isn't fun. Nobody actually enjoys cleaning. lol. But having things clean is the best.

Thanks guys. :)

2. 51ngh Forum Member

following this build closely! love it

3. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks!

Got the engine up on the stand and had a quick look over it. Seems ok. Can start stripping it down soon.

[​IMG]

Massive bundle of wires behind it. Can't wait to get stuck in. Thats the entire loom out of the mk4. I didn't really need it all for the conversion. I just wanted a trace a couple of wires and its always good to have some nice long lengths of wire. Couldn't really believe that the loom is just one big lump. No connectors connecting the interior loom to the dash or anything so you can just replace one part if you needed to.

[​IMG]

Also bought a CE1 digifant 8v engine loom.

[​IMG]

Just for this one connector for the back of the fuse box. So I can use the original relay location on the fuse box for the ecu relay. Details

[​IMG]

The gearbox isn't that badly cracked as I first thought. Looks like has been dropped when it was off for a clutch change or something.

[​IMG]

So no biggie really. Could get it welded or something.
    Then I started looking into the gear ratios.
    I am ill at the moment so I spent basically all day researching gearbox codes and ratios trying to decide what I want. The box that came with the car is a EUH. Which apparently is a TDI gearbox. The only information I can find on it is on TDI forums etc. Bit strange. Must have been changed at some point.
    My friend offered me another gearbox cheap so I could replace the cracked bell housing. Cheaper than getting it welded I'm sure.
    But that tuned out to be an EVS code.

[​IMG]

Correct me if I'm wrong.

EUH FD 3.389 1st 3.778 2nd 2.063 3rd 1.348 4th 0.967 5th 0.769

EVS FD 3.684 1st 3.300 2nd 1.944 3rd 1.308 4th 1.029 5th 0.837

So the EVS is the same ratios as the mk3 Golf GTI 16v gearbox and apparently is what ratios the later mk4 are meant to have. So now I'm not really sure which one to use. I'm leaning towards keeping the EUH because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are very similar ratios as the EVS. Only 1 - 2 mph increase at 6000rpm on 2nd and 3rd and 1st is actually shorter. And then the 4th is longer and almost 20mph difference and 5th is 30mph difference.

I also compared it to the 02A CTN gearbox that everyone seems to like.

CTN FD 3.158 1st 3.778 2nd 2.118 3rd 1.360 4th 1.029 5th 0.755

Which is quite a bit taller on 2nd and 3rd than both of the other boxes and the same as the EVS on first and then on 4th its pretty much the same as the EUH and 5th is a lot longer than both

I want the car to feel lively in the lower gears and then be ok for cruising so I think the EUH will be the best of both. Also a theoretical top speed of 170. Not that I would dare go that fast in a mk2 on cheapy coilovers. [:s]

If anyone wants to suggest anything else, feel free. First time I've had to choose gear ratios, Can always change it easy enough if I don't like it on the road though. Expecting just to keep the engine standard with a basic remap for now. So 200hp 200lbft ish? That's the norm if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Started stripping down the engine for a few health checks. Might leave the bottom end together if the bores are ok though, as I had no knocking or oil pressure problems. Hopefully I can get to the oil squirters without taking the crank out. I hear they are notorious for sludging up on 1.8Ts. We will see.
    Didn't have the right tool for the head bolts (Long Ribe bit 10mm) so had to call it a day at this. Managed to get it pretty stripped though. And I had to go grab my mates compression tester before I pulled the head anyway.

[​IMG]

To undo the crank pulley bolt I had to drag the engine outside and drop the mk4 onto the stand to stop it moving. That bolt is tight!. Block of wood to stop the crank moving ftw.

[​IMG]

Also cut this off of the mk4 after the RAC man gave me **** for my big bumper towing eye a few months ago. Couldn't get his hook on it since it's tucked right up flush with the bumper plastic. So I think I will try and fit the threaded boss from the mk4 onto the mk2.

[​IMG]

And lastly I traced a few final wires. Most of them not need I was just curious what they did. And then cut the gear tower hole out of the mk4 incase I need the bracket or at least measure them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. murph81 Forum Member

What was the oil pump strainer like?

6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Oil strainer is a little dirty. Couple of orange bits. Maybe parts of an old dipstick holder. Another bit to buy. New oil strainer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much metallic material though. Rubbed a magnet around in it and only this came out. This is all tiny powdery bits that I grouped together.

[​IMG]

While I was turning the engine over I could hear air leaking. I'm pretty sure its coming from the piston rings. It's consistent on all cylinders, the engine ran fine and it feels alright turning it over by hand. But want another opinion as i'm not sure if this is normal, have a look at the video, linked below.

VIDEO LINK

I did put my friends compression tester on it and turned it over by hand, so I was never going to get high readings. But again they were all consistent.

7. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Do like this car and can't wait to see your finish on the conversion

8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Lots of cleaning to do before its fitted. lol.

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

What a surprise ;)Not lol keep it up :thumbup:

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Still waiting on my head bolt tool for the new engine so i can take the head off. Thought it was going to show up today. :(

Still managed to get something done though. Noticed the back lights in my equaliser wasn't working. Turns out all 5 bulbs had blown. So dug out my spares and stole a few bulbs from other ones. Had be be soldered in. But not that hard. I only have 3 of them lol.

[​IMG]

Much better

[​IMG]

Also yesterday I did a quick 5 min photoshop of the engine bay look I'm going for. Might take a bit of work to get the air filter in the location I want but I want it in the proper mk2 location.

[​IMG]

11. notenoughtime

That would work

12. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Good progress. How did you manage to track down a scrap MK4? Or was it a cheap eBay/Autotrader runner?

13. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Wasn't scrap. I bought it with an MOT. Well it had like a weeks MOT left anyway. I just posted on all the mk4 groups on facebook asking of anyone knew of any cheap mk4 gtis around. Had a couple of replies. This one was by far the cheapest. And he drove it up from torquey for me in the price I paid. Already made over 100 back on parts so far.

14. Gup16v Forum Member

Looking Good! The airbox in the oem place looks smart and different. Intrigued to see how you go about routing the inlet and outlet pipes of the turbo with this in mind. Are you using a K03/S/4 or something bigger?

15. taylord149 New Member

the monza blue and capri green are almost the same colour in pics. as mine is capri green and looks almost the same colour to this. loving the bbs rs btw i have just got mine and test fitted them yesterday :-)

16. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Everyone seems to be doubting me on the air box lol. Im staying standard K03 for now. Can always go bigger at a later date if I get bored again (I will).

Yeah Capri green does look similar. My mate used ti have a mk2 in the colour and once we got them together you could clearly see the difference.

17. Gup16v Forum Member

Not Doubting you on it pal, it looks like a lot of work, that's why I asked what turbo your using, if the compressor housing was on driver side it would be far easier

FYI, if your torn between upgrading to K03S or K04, some companies have started making downpipe adapters to mount a k04 to k03/s downpipe. That's if you get bored of the k03 ;)

18. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Bought a faulty passat K03 the other day. That is my plan. As they sit the other way round. And using a passat one will have another benefit. The down pipe wont have to sit so close to the steering rack gator. But will need a custom down pipe and oil and coolant lines.
    Might have an issue with clearance on the engine mount though. We will see. Might be close.

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Well, the Golf is now of the road and tucked away nicely in my unit and will be watching me build its new heart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Speaking of the new heart, Head is off and I'm relived to say the bores look very good. Not even a lot of carbon build up in the head. Exhaust ports looked great though so I wasn't that worried.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. notenoughtime

Cracking on with it! Have you got box, driveshafts etc sorted