2 failed theft attempts and counting...

Discussion in 'Security' started by Admin, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

Hello,

Just another question about security really. Moved house a few months ago to a nice little cul-de-sac and no problems at all. Then, in the last 2 weeks, 2 attempts to TWOC my Mk2 GTi!! I can't even understand it - bodywork is tatty and dented, the 14s are scuffed and I haven't washed it in over 18 months.

The car is parked on the driveway, and the first attempt involved breaking the window, which resulted in the alarm going off (it's a Clifford G4 with prox). They scarpered. Second attempt (a week later) involved using a screwdriver to pry the door handle and f-ck up the passenger-side lock (it's a 3-dr), but this was foiled by the armour door plates (proper ones, not the cheap versions). Just replaced the door handle yesterday.

Then last night somebody tried to break into the house, probably for the keys. The car has an immoiliser too so isn't going to be going anywhere in a hurry without them. I'm sitting here waiting for the SOCOs to arrive (been waiting a few hours now).

I've just bought and fitted a Bulldog compact wheel clamp. Anybody got one of these? They any good? Was ~75 from Chavfords. I thought that a more visible deterrent might be helpful.

Cheers

2_golfs

2. PNG

png Forum Member

Thats pretty tedious :( where abouts are you living?

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

get an old school wheel lock and **** them with it

4. Admin Guest

Yeah, nice, I'd love to catch the little turds in the act!! I haven't got one of those locks as I remember seeing on Watchdog that, armed with suitable tools (costing about 4), they can be removed in under a minute. Maybe I should get on anyway...thought about a Disklok but they are pricey (more than the wheelclamp).

I live in Cambridge, just S of the river. Thought it was a nice area when I moved but the Autoglass guy told me that casual break-ins to cars are quite common. The weekend that my car first got attacked was a busy one for him!

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

Thought about a snap off steering wheel boss thing?

Take your steering wheel inside?

6. Nordoff Forum Junkie

4?
    That's a lot for a pen cap....

7. danTbone Forum Member

get security camera get them cheap now a days and one of those metal polls that fix in your drive way

8. PNG

png Forum Member

Also prolly the cheapest deterent is a security light. I fitted one on the chimney and it is triggered by anyone up to about 10 metres away, and haven't had any false triggers. They seem to have sorted out the sensors since last one i bought which was always getting triggered by wind and stuff. 13.50 from screwfix :thumbup:

9. Admin Guest

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll post again if they have another go...
    13.50 sounds pretty reasonable :-)

10. theboymike Forum Junkie

If the car looks tatty I'd reckon on Joyriders, and consider the house break in a separate effort tbh. Doubt pikies would bother robbing the keys for an 800 motor.

If parked in a dodgy area I usually pull the fuel pump fuse, but the security light sounds like the best deterrant. In the absence of one of these:

[​IMG]

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

if its junkie scum theres not much you will do ....they'l bust the door open for the chance of finding a couple of quid

alarm , disklock , secuirty light , leave nothing on show ..maybe pull the headunit out until things improve

12. Admin Guest

Thanks very much chaps!
    Fuel pump relay and coil lead will be next step I think, at least until I can afford one of those robot things...

13. V6 Otto Forum Member

Sounds like someone REALLY wants that car, for spares, or to repair a damaged one they already own maybe? mk2 parts are quite hard to find now and what could be cheaper than stealing someone elses car for them!

it will undoubtedly be some retarded scally who wears the same clothes for weeks on end and smells like a bag of ar5eholes, no job, claims to have no money, yet always seems to be drunk and have a full deck of cigs and a pocket full of skunk

you know the ones......

my advice as well as the wheel clamp would be remove the king lead from the coil, and the rotor arm, i would also feel inclined to put a BIG kitchen knife under the middle seat point facing up, so if they do get in the theiving Cahunt ends up with a slashed anus! or a missing bolack, hopefully soco should get a match on the blood or indeed the remnants of a testicle:thumbup:

14. skoda4x4 Forum Member

and knowing this country he will get sued and loose

15. V6 Otto Forum Member

yeah im sure loads of car theives have tried to privately prosecute someone for injuring themselves on a car when they were trying to steal it:thumbup:

16. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

that was my theory, sounds like someones targeting it especially, and not just for a joyride.
    security light/cctv ftw :thumbup:

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck. We want baseball batted scally pics after you have caught them in the act.

18. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Forget spending money on anything

Stakeout with a baseball bat is free of charge and ultimately much more satisfying

And worry about law telling you what you did is wrong as and when you have to

19. andy216 Forum Member

Have you thought about claymore mines? bit messy though!

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

security light is a good idea as doing everything in the open will put them off. Do you have any mates with a well behaved big dog? german shep or rotweiler type thing? I personally would get hold of one and then as soon as the security light is on let the dog out for a 'toilet' break