2000 Beetle 2.0l to 2.8l 24v V6 conversion. Problems arising :-)

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by retrowhore, Mar 18, 2015.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

Hello.

I'm in the early stages of the above conversion and have run into a few parts/tech issues I hope someone might be able to advise upon.

A few weeks ago I picked up a 2000W reg New Beetle 2.0l for 250 - minus a few bits of trim and the leather interior. I had passed it up for much more money complete a few weeks before as I don't like leather and had no desire to drive a 2.0l. The car was a runner and has a decent body. An ideal basis for a conversion (or so I thought!).

On day one I removed the front end (wings, bumper, rad, fans, battery, headlights, indicators, airbox) and disconnected the fuel lines, PAS lines, aircon, gearbox linkage and engine wiring back to the bulkhead.

Day two had the engine out and a 2.8V6 24v from a Golf 4Motion sat beside it, being serviced (oil, filters, plugs, leads, coilpack, thermostat, water pump, belts etc) and prepped for installation. The engine came from an incomplete car which isn't ideal. But it was free, low mileage and ran sweet so I shouldn't complain.

BUT....we had some issues.

1) We were missing a gear linkage.
    2) The Beetle is an early 2.0l - cable throttle - the V6 is drive by wire.
    3) I am using the 4Motion 6 speed box. I'll remove the transfer box and fit a blanking plate later, but the real problem is the Beetle has a clutch line suited to a 5 speed, with a different slave cylinder step.
    4) I can't (and don't wish to) use the Golf clocks - so matching the ECU, to the clocks, key and transponder is going to be interesting.

To keep busy we have removed the stock front suspension and fitted polybushed wishbones, coilovers with R32 top mounts and 4Motion hubs with drilled and grooved 312mm Brembos. We have polybushed the dogbone too.

The conversion is being done on a budget, as time allows with mates rates labour where required. If (and it's a big IF) we can make it work I hope to do more V6 Beetles in future as part of my fledgling Beetle business. I'm hoping to have the car on the road for under 1000 or thereabouts.

So far the costs work out like this:
    Beetle base 250
    V6 Engine and Gearbox conversion ---
    Brembo brakes 240
    R32 bushes -35
    Service parts -85
    Coilovers -60
    Powerflex Bushes -70
    Gear Linkage -30
    Subtotal >>770

With regard to the problems:
    1) I sourced a 6 speed gear linkage, it's fitted but the gearbox didn't come with the cable guide bracket. Something else to source!
    2) 2002 on 2.0l Beetles became DBW. I'm wondering how would be best to get a DBW pedal (Golf I assume) into the Beetle loom?
    3) As the V5 Beetle used a 6 speed I will be ordering a clutch line from one.
    4) Answers on a postcard. This will either be easier than I thought - or a 'mare of a job :-)

Any helpful advice very welcome.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Most of it is simple
    As I said on Facebook it will be easy to add the wiring for the drive by wire
    Will let John run you through that
    But it will just be running the wires from the pedal to the plugs above the pedal box
    I take it you have both ECU looms

As both cars are immo2 it's easy to match the ECU to the clocks with vag com
    I'll get a link for you
    So you can keep the keys and clocks you have

3. MUSHY 16V

1 Install the new ECU in the car
    [Select]
    [17 - Instruments]
    [Adaptation - 10]
    Leave channel at "00"
    [Read]
    [Save]

[Done, Go Back]
    [Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
    [Exit]

Turn ignition OFF for 15 seconds. Start vehicle.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html

4. retrowhore Forum Member

I have the engine loom and ECU for the V6 and the entire 2.0l and ECU is still intact, with the engine loom removed from the engine. I have VAGCom already so that's a start I guess. Also bought some basic spare keys and transponder chips just in case I needed them.

Thanks for the help so far Justin :thumbup:

Here is my daily (Stage 1, 1.8T with 4" lift) :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  5. retrowhore Forum Member

So will that require the existing Beetle key and transponder or the Golf one?

6. retrowhore Forum Member

Oh, a few pictures of the beast so far :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MUSHY 16V

aye just keep the beetle clocks keys and transponder :thumbup:

8. retrowhore Forum Member

Awesome. Not as bad as I expected. This car has good locks so it's nice to be able to use as much as possible.

I'd like to do an RSI style dash later using Lupo GTI parts but only after it's all running right.

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That's cool!!! That scar on the front bumper makes it look like something from a Tim Burton movie :thumbup:

10. retrowhore Forum Member

It's where a previous owner cable tied the bumper back together. But many have commented on it so it may appear as a 'design feature' on a replacement bumper as a nod to it's history. :thumbup:

1990 likes this.
  11. retrowhore Forum Member

As a pointer to where I am heading with the car here are a few pics.

I'll be looking for better coilovers and 18" wheels and tyres as money allows. I hope to take it on some trackdays with friends (mainly racing Mk3/Mk4 Golfs with 1.8T/VR6/V6 power) as a bit of man fun. It will also be used to promote my business once we are more branded.

Early concept sketch:
    [​IMG]

Same skirt kit (may get one blended in for tidiness):
    [​IMG]

Complete kit (our spoiler will be different):
    [​IMG]

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

think everythign is covered already but as i say on facebook wiring wise pedal is easy there is a loom off the pedal to a blue plug, which plugs straight to the ecu side blue plug :)

hard part is gettign the pedal in, plus gettign the loom up to the top of the dash area into the coloured plug plug retainery thingy. if cruise control is on your list of things to do now is the time!

13. retrowhore Forum Member

That's great John. I might do the CC but as it's mainly a trackday project it might not get much use. I'll have a look at the ECU as I hadn't really noticed a blue plug - but then I wasn't really looking for one either.

Do I need a specific pedal (Beetle 1.8T/V5 or Golf V5/V6)?

14. rubjonny

its part number 1J2721503J you want (manual, petrol) for the complete pedal assembly, is the same for later beetle and golf mk4, plus a fair few others :)

looking at etka the early remote actuator isnt listed for the 2000 beetle so i assume it wont fit?

David Pimenta likes this.
  15. MUSHY 16V

Sure the 4mo has a different pedal
    To other petrol ones

16. rubjonny

canne see any evidence in etka, just 4 pedals petrol, diesel and manual/auto?

17. retrowhore Forum Member

Hmmmm. Not looking good. So far I have exposed the 2.0l ECU, looked under the dash and behind the cluster to a connecting plate for loom plugs. I can't find a blue plug bar one that enters the cluster and another below it which goes into a black box along with a brown plug.

Do I have a loom without DBW connectors?

18. rubjonny

sorry i meant the blue plug you need is on the 2.8l ecu loom :)

then the other end is on the throttle pedal loom, be sure to get that as well as the pedal :thumbup:

David Pimenta likes this.
  19. retrowhore Forum Member

Ah! Now it makes sense.

We do have a blue plug on that loom of about 5 plugs. Is it a case of feeding that loom down to the fusebox/upper drivers connector plate and then removing the 2.0l plugs to that ECU and replacing them?

20. rubjonny

yep remove the 2.0 ecu loom and drop the 2.8 loom in the same way the old one came out, job done!

only thign to check is they are both late spec pinout, but im sure they will be. look at the brown and orange plugs where the purple/white wire is, on very early cars this one is swapped with one of the reverse switch wires:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?267196