2000 Beetle 2.0l to 2.8l 24v V6 conversion. Problems arising :-)

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by retrowhore, Mar 18, 2015.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

Thanks John, I'll get the pedal and loom ordered. Onto wheel bearings and brakes now.

2. retrowhore Forum Member

Had another look. I have 5 plugs on the engine loom. Brown, Blue, White, Orange and a Black. What does the black one do as the Beetle has nothing in the box to connect to it?

I'm assuming this is where you hook up Cruise Control?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

black one is for cruise plus the brake light switch wiring, if you only have 2 wires in there its just brake switch, if its got a load more your ecu loom is wired up for cruise as well :)

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?267196

mushy, I did just spot that on later diagrams ETKA shows the R32 has its own line, though the part number is the same as the normal petrol pedal. perhaps originally the 4mo and r32 did have their own pedals, but soon after they were replaced with the newer petrol pedal? or maybe it was early cars the normal models had the remote actuator and 4mo had the full pedal perhaps?

4. retrowhore Forum Member

My Beetle doesn't have a black plug either side of the connector plate so I would assume no cruise control option even if I fit the ECU side loom. Also it probably means no techy braking bits.

This is all fine as it's intended for the track and features like that aren't important. Just worried missing bits will make it a 'mare to get running :-)

5. rubjonny

i mean look on the ecu black plug, if it only has 2 wires then no cruise, you would have to unwrap the ecu loom and add wires if you want it. if it has a load of wires to the black plug then happy days ecu side of the wirign is there you just need one of the ebay kits with stalk and loom from it to the pigtails, plus the black plug and 4 pin brake light switch nicked out of the scrappy.

even on non-cruise cars the brake switch wiring is still there, but not sure if you need to fit it. I've seen it said that you should disconnect the brake light wiring to ecu as well, since it messes with heel-toe braking?

6. retrowhore Forum Member

Ah. Now I understand. So the loom from the ECU is the crucial bit. Everything else can be retrofitted. On inspection there are 4/5 wires to the black plug. I'll get to my scrappy at the weekend and rob the other bits.

Pedal and loom have been ordered. I found the 4Mo used an earlier variant of the 'J' superseded number and was lucky enough to find one straight away, with the loom which many breakers don't seem to supply with the pedal.

I've made a few enquiries about the cable selector gearbox bracket and slave cylinder pipe now. Hopefully get some movement on that today.

7. rubjonny

perfect its setup for cruise then, since the ecu loom is all there you can fit it all and forget for now, then if you want cruise later you can do it all from inside the car :)

if you have no luck with the brackets let me know and I'll dig out the numbers from ETKA. iirc its pretty cheap from VW :)

8. retrowhore Forum Member

Not much to update on the car sadly. The engine is fully serviced now and ready to go in. Front suspension is all fitted along with new wheel bearings.

I managed to source a proper 6 speed clutch pipe, gear linkage and bracket plus the accelerator pedal and worked out most of the wiring loom.

I'm tempted to carry out an SAI delete while its still on the stand so if anyone knows of a blanking plate supplier please let me know.

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

10. retrowhore Forum Member

Ooh that's great. I'll get my fabricator mate to knock up the plate and get busy stripping that out.

What to use the blue/yellow for though?

11. benthejettaman Forum Member

12. retrowhore Forum Member

Thanks for that. I was going to get a plate made up, but that still leaves part of the housing on the engine, which is a bit messy. I'd seen these availale in the US, but couldn't find them here.

Purchased!