2l 16v characteristics.....

Discussion in '16-valve' started by sife1, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sife1 Forum Member

It runs runs alright on the back roads but when on the bypass, which i use to get to work, it splutters and misfires like hell like there's too much or little fuel coming through......? so yeah i really need to get it set up.

I take there's no room for mistakes when timing up the car is there? and i would have to use the 6a caps rather than the KR.?..

My doubts for changing the cams are valves hitting the pistons and overtightening the caps as i have no torque wrench that measures as low as 15nm, oh and no tool to loosen the tensioner!

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I put the Schrick 268 inlet cam in wrong on mine, it went about 50mph flat out but luckily didn't bend anything :lol: [:$]

But yeh, it's very easy to get the cams wrong, esp if you've not done it before. If you're not confident leave well alone.
    You use the caps in the head thats on the car, don't mix them up.

3. sife1 Forum Member

right ok,

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

4. DuBDuDe Forum Member

put this in your 2l 16v thread GVK. Not a bad one to add in there mate.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

will do ;)

6. Joe_G Forum Member

Just shows you could be up at 190BHP with a mapped ignition system so you could dial out the pinking lower down.

As for the KR cams in 9A, I didn't notice a huge difference in mine when I swapped in the KR inlet but I think that was because I had a really poor exhaust which was choking up the engine. Swapped in an Ernst backbox and it's now noticabley quicker over 5k, I was surprised to say the least.

I'd say get it tuned as it is, it'll allow you more time to iron out any other issues you find in the next few months and then you can get it RR tuned again after you've had a chance to fix any small probs along the way.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Edited by: Joe_G

7. davidwort Forum Member

It's not that difficult and if you simply wind the engine over by the crank pulley bolt by hand then you can check if the valves hit the pistons without bending anything! Don't even need to worry about changing the cam belt pulley as that is on the exhaust cam, bearing caps are numbered but put them on they way round they came off!
    all you need is a 15mm socket to loosen the tensionner, and I've never needed the two proged tool to re-tighten them, just a pair of long nosed pliers.

David.

hopefully this link to my yahoo files works (works when I preview it), should be kr/9a torque plot from stealth:
    http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/7438d34a/bc/photos/kr_plots/KR+ and+9A+cams+on+2.016v.jpg?bfce65BB8BQdDEc0
    Edited by: davidwort

8. Joe_G Forum Member

Nope [:^(]

I can host it if you want, PM me. :)

Joe
    Edited by: Joe_G

9. dave_dub86 Forum Member

i swapped the inlet cam in my 9a for a kr one last night and after playing with the ignition timing and carbs (twin 40 dellorto's) its running really well. was firing flames out the carbs when i first started it tho!! its a much milder cam lower down but as soon as you get to 4.5k ish it takes off like a rocket! i need to get my carbs tuned properly on a rolling road really anyone know anywhere thats good at settin carbs up? i live in north wales. oh and how do you know how many degrees your ignition timings at? i just played around with it till it actually ran!

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need a strobe light to set the ignition timing properly, although setting it by ear often isn't that far out, depending on how well the rest of it is running. Not sure if I'd recommend it with a carb setup, but what I'd do on a kjet car for a rough setup is:

- warm the car up to normal temperature
    - advance the timing by turning the distributor, till it's ticking over at it's fastest point, nice and smooth.
    - back the timing off just a few degrees, and try a test run, gently at first, watching for pinking and flat spots.

Not very scientific though - a timing light is a much better option!