45's on 16v

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mk1 driver, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

steved, what does your linkage look like in between the carbs?

I test fitted the manifold and carbs the other day and ended up with this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Throttle lever contact with hose/water outlet flange. Are some of these water outlets different?

2. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Quick question...

Do I need a small filter in between the tank and the Facet fuel pump? The Facet already has a cartridge type filter and so has the fuel pressure regulator in the bowl...

3. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Quick answer... no ! :lol:

What you have already is fine.

4. rupe Forum Member

You can buy those water flanges angled down, i'll post up when I remember where I saw them, I think ray made his own, but then he would [:-B] :lol:

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

A nice, quick and to the point response, thanks Jason. :lol:

Yes Ray would, wouldn't he! I think I recall someone mentioning BBM making those angled down water outlets?

After ordering some new full radius rampipes (like Velly used on his), the mouths of the pipes are that wide that no.2 fouls the hose, granted it is at least radiused and not sharp but it is digging into the hose a fair way.

I've noticed on Velly's that the top rad hose seems to angle down quite sharply compared to the hose (standard Mk2 16v item but cut down) I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'm going to make my own hose to try to fit it in where I've outlined. I'm going to have to move the fan cowling across a little (elongate the fixing holes) to get a bit more gap between the fan and no.4 pipe.

Hopefully with more info on the 'corsa rad' solution , I'll be able to run the longer pipes and either a pair of K+N filters or an ITG filter that spans both carbs.

6. rupe Forum Member

Yeh looks like bbm do them, it's not the same as the one I was thinking of though.

[​IMG]

7. jetta 16v Forum Member

a little of subject (sorry) what fuel pumps do you use i have a facet red top to go in mine soon are these ok?

i have a set of 40s and 45s but when i looked the40s had bigger jets and chokes is this normal

think the 40s had 32mm chokes and 45s had 30mmor am i missing something here????

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I have a Facet Red Top pump on mine with a Filter King fuel pressure regulator to set the right pressure.

There are a lot of things you can change in the carbs themselves, not just the main jets. I will be using 34mm chokes in my 45's on a standard 1.8 16v to start with, along with more suitable jetting as advised on the previous page.

Are the 40's and 45's you have both for the same application? If not, then this might be why they have different jets and chokes.

9. jetta 16v Forum Member

no the 45s are of a nice spec ford pinto
    the 40s are of a lotus twin cam

10. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

I'd doubt anyone would have fitted 30mm chokes into 45's, you just would'nt need carbs that big with chokes that small. Besides, I'm fairly sure you wont be able to get chokes that small for 45's, unless someone has had them custom made... I think the smallest available chokes for 45's are 34mm from memory, which is the smallest size you would ever need in a 45 anyway.

The "30" could actually be 36, they arnt always stamped all that clear.

What are you fitting them on ?... and the exact spec.