800G’s does it again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by NormanCoal, Nov 30, 2003.

1. NormanCoal Forum Member

HI all

I always keep a lookout in the various classifieds on here and other places for different conversions to the norm.With this in mind, I always thought that a MK3 16v lump along with the electronic controls (rather than MK2 kJet) would be an excellent powerplant for the MK2.

I happened to see a ready converted MK2 in London, so arranged to go see it. Now I couldnt have cared two hoots about the rest of the car, I wanted to know what it went like - pretty good was the answer.

So I drove it for 24hrs, was ok, but I thought that there were lots of improvements that could be made, most of which I already had in my current MK2 8V. So a quick MSN conversation with Matt about converting my 8V to the 16v went along the lines of 'yeah, dead easy when d'ya want it done, this week, wednesday do ya?'

So after owning the car for less than a week it ended up like this

[​IMG]

In the process of removing the lump and loom

Out of the workshop the car went the blue MK2 and in came the green mk2

and this one ended up like this after a short while

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after looking at the MK3 loom, Matt said that it needed some work. This meant that the loom was completely unwrapped and all the unecassary wires removed - I mean who has air con in a mk2? nearly two hours later, me and matt had it sorted rewrapped and ready to fit

in with the loom, and also at this point the gearboxs were swapped as I wanted to keep the green one's in there - it was in better condition. Also, the blue one was originally an 8v and had kept its box. They are both AGU codes, and that means v similar ratios to a 2y mk2 16v box.

So in with the new engine then, it started to look good in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All went in with no trouble, it started on the button first time - time for a big [:D] all round

Lots of little bits to do after that, and unfortunately part of that was trying to get the inbuilt immobilisor to work - damn thing was f**ked [:x]

So matt modified the wiring so that it could run an early ecu which I also had. A new immobilisor unit needed to be ordered from VW to get back to the proper one for that engine

Oh, and we swapped the G60 brakes over as well - theres no point in power without control now is there :p

All in all, a very quick and easyish conversion, and I'm dayumn happy with it. Not had a chance to drive it in anger as such yet, tho the initial test drive was flat out - see Matt, lots of confidence in you :p

On the way home I followed Rallye VR6 just in case the car decided it didnt want to be 16v powered for any reason, and I just couldnt resist seeing what it would pull - I decided that 130 was enough before the end of the private road that I detoured down.

It now has a fully sorted ECU and everything works great - did I say I was happy with it??

2. jprocter Forum Member

Very nice.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

At least you've got something to use until the grey one gets finished Chris :thumbup:

800g's aka Darth Vader :lol:

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

You just couldn't resist after finding me mine could you chris!? :lol:

Very cool mate.

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

Ah, but mine is one better with the MK3 loom mate ;)

Or at least thats what I'm telling myself after the hassle of sorting it over a 'standard' 2L conversion

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

cool! nice lightsabre :p

7. GVK

Bring on the mk2 wacky racer 2004 series :lol:

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

the man is a genius [:D]

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

THe trackday events of next year are gonna be something to watch thats for sure

I wanna see a video of all of us MK2 owners in convey at whatever track we can make

Oh, and the fastest towbar in the west is making a return to the track baby - theres no-one nudging me outa the way next year :lol: (tho the weight may slow me down a touch [:$] )

10. GVK

lol @ caravan club spec mk2 :lol:

11. NormanCoal Forum Member

I feel a new title coming up - can I have that d'ya reckon

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

lol

Why would anyone want digi-phart eh Chris!?

;) :p :lol:

13. alby Forum Junkie

nice one matt and chris [:D]

did you finish colour coding your gearbox red? [:$]

14. Ian_S Forum Member

nice one! looks like a good job!

It's given me the inspiration to find a car to fit the ABF in my garage! I'm gonna be fitting the mk3 loom aswell.

just a couple of q's,

which mounts did you use?

any bonet clearance problems?

cheers.
    Ian :clap:

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Looking good! [:D]

Why have you got such a massive windscreen washer bottle thingy though?

16. pictonroad Forum Member

I don't understand, why not keep the ABF in a nice comfy MK3? ;)

17. NormanCoal Forum Member

I tried, but there wasnt enough claret in my veins :p

18. NormanCoal Forum Member

Mounts are all MK2 stuff

There isnt any problems with bonnet clearance cos the TB is on the back of the inlet not the top. Just make sure that you have a late inlet manifold as the early one wont fit - the later one has the TB as a better angle. I think this was to do with the fitment of the engine in the Ibiza which essentially is a MK2 Golf front end

If you are going to use the MK3 loom, be prepared to strip a lot of unecessary stuff out of it - I wish I had got a pic of the amount of wiring that Matt junked

As for you Tub, a did u phart was what the car was, so a did u phart is what it stayed. I wasnt gonna get involved with fuel pumps etc for the sake of K jet

19. NormanCoal Forum Member

Beleive me, I have been looking for a half decent one in ages, but the amount of money I would have to spend on a decent one, plus the essential modding to get it to how I wanted it meant this was a far better approach

Oh you didnt want the serious answer ;) , then it would have to be cos the MK3 is a lardy, fat....... :lol:

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Fair enough Chris... didn't think abou it being Digi already.

Ian.. i have a picture of my modified bonnet to clear the TB.. lemme find the cam.