85mm pistons

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Brian.G, May 17, 2009.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

it sure is, thanks for that Rob:clap:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

The bits are still in the boxes for now. The plan is to enjoy the car with its 2.0 8v this year, and build a 2.1 16v over the winter. In the meantime, there's plenty of work to do on chassis, weight removal, and generally prepping the rest of the car.

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Where would you find a 85.5mm crank from?

the 1800 crank is 86.4 the 2000 crank is 92.8 the carb'd 1600 crank is 77 ish and the diesel one is 95.5

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

you would have it made from steel, something like EN40B, for about 1500 or, modify one by offset grinding but then journal sizes change, would have to be remade, etc etc and it might just be easier to get one made in the first place

I was thinking of building a 1.4 20VT last year from a 1.8T block and that would need a custom crank doing - the only way you are ever going to get near modified production 1400-2000 sprint records in this country as this engine would make 350-400hp, and some of the record holders have gone this route - no chance with atmo power but thankfully, there are very few of them out there. If you have all the gear - how about this for a 'off the wall' project:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178266&highlight=1400

the kit car rally motors were 90.2 stroke / 84mm bore - hopefully these still had a bit of midrange (2000cc)

It looks like the circuit racing motors had 85mm bores so that would give something like a 88.1mm stroke - still not oversquare - probably more top end but less midrange than the rally motors and of course would have been mated to a super close ratio xtrac box or similar so less of an issue

And I have definately read somewhere about a special evolution block that was being talked about which would take 86mm pistons - will try and find it

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  5. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

What Block are you using 9A or ABF ?

Can't find any detail above for which type.

6. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

^^ Thats a very interesting read.. Did you ever 'go into this' rob?

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Never gone any further than the thought process - 300hp would be the tops from a atmo 2L engine (based on what we have to start with and maybe some funky fuel) but I reckon 400hp would be doable with a 1.4T, and totally within the rules.

Problem is, it would weigh more with all the turbo gubbins and would probably be harder to drive so would it be quicker? I reckon yes at fast circuits but maybe not at slower/more technical ones. But who knows really - the cars who have gone this way are very quick indeed (but also somewhat explosion-prone) so there is some backing to the possibility.

My motor is a short-rod motor - ibiza's came with both short (KR-like) and tall (abf-like) block configurations, plus many more besides, ibitz-of-this, and ibitz-of-that. Short rod as it makes no difference in power and I needed all the bonnet clearance I could get for those trumpets!

8. jc.. Forum Member

I would have thought with this kind of budget and 10k rev expectation that 400bhp would be very acheivable.
    Just look at the 6-700+ that the yanks are getting out of 1.8t solid lifter head-ed stock blocks at the higher revs.

lets not forget the 1500bhp that BMW got out of a 1.4!!

9. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

The yanks are leagues ahead on the VAg scene as far as the power steaks are concearned... As much as it pains me to say it!

10. jc.. Forum Member

its because they can do so much so cheap!!

11. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

It was an 8V Crossflow head though wasn't it :thumbup:

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Is that an 827-type engine in origins though? (ie Golf GTI style block, dating back to 1500cc capacity)

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

anymore info?

14. jimmy8v Forum Member

Not even close to normal 827 or even internal waterpump blocks. Bore spacing is way different. You'd need to use the whole engine. Our gearboxes don't fit onto that block etc etc. Plus it's not even that great a head.

jc, OT, but over on autosport forums they discussed the possibilty of that 1500bhp bmw megatron engine and concluded it never happened. The bmeps required are astronomical. The mythical figure keeps on getting bigger.

Also heat treating cast iron(to those people on the first page) is a very odd way to go about stiffening a block. Have to check my materials books but I dont think you can heat treat cast materials like that. Liners, long head bolts and girdles are the usual method.

If you really want 85mm safely I would gut all the bores from the top half of the block then run an open deck liner setup with the liners seated in offset bores at the bottom and then located at the top with a billet spacer plate like old zetec wrc blocks.

At which point you might as well make a block from scratch like that guy on vortex did a few years ago. Nascar engineer or soemthing, billet ally golf block!

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

yep - I have seen a billet block in the back of a single seater hillclimber - quite doable - the chap built the entire engine from scratch

'special' blocks are available for some top-end 'production' engines

http://qedmotorsport.co.uk/the-engines/vauxhall-c20xe/alloy-block

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=18&idproduct=28

and even the polimotor plastic blocks that seem to have disappeared

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=56971

but never seen the golf story - any links?

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

17. jimmy8v Forum Member

Yeah, I always wondered about that engine. It had a wierd looking head too. Nothing very conventional about any of it. Parts from that must make btcc/stw bits look common as muck though?

18. prof Forum Addict

250bhp VW motors are possible, but beyond that it just becomes pretty pointless

if going to all that bother, and wanting 10k revs, why not buy a dedicated race 4cyl, like a Hart engine or a 2.5L m3 4pot, and an xtrac transaxle that'll live with it

seems so mad to start with a pig if you really want a gazelle

If you want a fantastic engineering challenge and have the facilities why not work on something that has some financial reward at the end

19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

you should be a motivational coach.

Because you can thats why - the world would be very dull if people always took the sensible path. And if you are competing, the rules dictate what you can and cannot do...so you gotta get creative sometimes

20. prof Forum Addict

Aye reckon I should be, be a load less time wasted on pointless stuff

I do like some of the clever stuff that goes on, like the falconer aluminium v12 using small block chevy bits etc

or a proper billet crankcase with drysump and a flywheel for car based hayabusa engines

[​IMG]

but really seems a bit of a waste doing it with a 2.0 vw