'89 Mk2 Golf GTI 8v -> ABF -> VR6 -> VR6 Turbo

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by rye1991, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good progress, shame about the leak! could it be the seals inside the driveshaft flanges behind the cvs?

feel free to ask for wirign advice if you need it :thumbup:

2. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Jonny! Yea it could be, im just gutted that the box was perfectly fine before I decided to replace the seals lol Im also gutted as I put 35 worth of Redline MTL in it too!

Thanks, I really do appreciated it. I wouldn't have got this far without your fuesbox FAQ and your contribution to the many ABF wiring threads.

3. blis Forum Member

4. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

I haven't updated this thread recently a i've just been sorting the wiring so it wouldn't have made for decent photos really. MASSIVE thanks to Rubjonny for holding my hand all the way through, couldn't have done it without your help, spreadsheets, FAQs and wiring diagrams!

The loom is almost complete, pretty much everything is wired up apart from a couple of sensors and I just need to finish tidying the wires. I have split the lighting loom and put it down both chassis legs which turned out to be a really neat solution.

[​IMG]
    Exhaust is finished and sounds really nice (no vids or pics of it fitted yet).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Front brakes on. New genuine splash sheilds, 280mm VR6 calipers, Brembo discs and pads. I just need front hoses, new nipples, servo vac hose and then they are ready to bleed.

[​IMG]
    Ignore the nasty bottom pulley, im looking for some nice billet ones.

[​IMG]
    Lighting and engine loom finished and wrapped.

[​IMG]
    Still a bit of tidying up to do. Lighting loom is in the chassis legs and the engine loom runs along the driver side inner wing.

[​IMG]
    Again, wiring to tidy, air feed and filter and hoses left to fit (waiting on Samco to deliver).

[​IMG]
    The paint doesn't look too bad but It will need a respray when funds allow.

So the things left to do before MOT:

Tidy wiring and make sure all electrics work
    Silicone Hoses
    New Matrix and blower refurb and fit
    Refit dash and interior
    finish brakes and bleed

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Great thread, looks like you'll be on the road soon :thumbup:

6. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, I hope so!

Just a quick update. I've taking a break from tidying the wiring to sort out the Matrix and blower.

[​IMG]
    There was actually nothing wrong with the old matrix but I won't be running the pressure reduction valve so it would have probably popped in the new future so it made sense to swap it out for a newer style one.

[​IMG]
    In she goes.

[​IMG]
    If you've ever wondered why your Mk2 golf spits out little bits of foam when you have the blower on, this is why!

[​IMG]
    I used some closed cell neoprene to make some new flaps.

[​IMG]
    Much better. Also gave it all a good clean out with the compressor and washed all the dust/ dirt out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Blower and matrix fitted. Although I want to try and keep the Golf as light and basic as possible, I have added a bit of sound deadening behind the dash and bulkhead area. Once its on the road I will decide if it needs a bit more on the floor and doors.

7. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]
    I mounted the battery in the boot using an ebay battery tray. Theres a quick release strap that holds the battery in and i've used quick release Ojop terminals.

[​IMG]
    The positive lead is from a BMW and the earth cable is 16m2 welder cable. I have run a short earth to the seatbelt tensoner bolt as well as one that runs to the front of the car.

[​IMG]
    The positive and long earth run inside the rear quarter and out of the hole that was already there. I will need to notch the side panel to slot over this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The long earth runs to this distribution block (not connected in picture). This will be a common place that all earths will go to.

[​IMG]
    Excuse the dirt, The floor will be cleaned before the sound proofing and carpet go in.

[​IMG]
    VW kindly provided a stud on the bulkhead for mounting the BMW fuse holder :)

The thick lead connected to the 250amp fuse is the positive from the battery, the red cable goes to the starter and the thin pink lead is the standard power cable from the lighting loom. This runs to the fusebox.

[​IMG]

I added the starter cable to the N/S lighting loom and pulled it back through the chassis leg. I know the conduit is a bit small but the loom is already wrapped so its just a bit of extra protection.

[​IMG]
    The lighting loom, starter cable and alternator exciter coming out of the chassis leg.

[​IMG]
    Something I had been meaning to do for a while was blanking off the extra ports on the Leon Cupra master cylinder.

[​IMG]
    They're a bit long but its all I could find.

[​IMG]
    Dropped the gearbox to fix the leak and made a complete mess! I lost grip, the box turned over and the oil came out of the speedo hole. 40 worth of Redline aswell haha.

[​IMG]
    I stupidly fitted a 16v seal and the inner diameter is 2mm bigger than the correct 8v seal - woops!

[​IMG]
    Decided to paint the box grey while I was waiting for the new seal to arrive.

[​IMG]
    I didn't have a massive allen key for fitting the inspection plug so I made out out of a piece of hardwood.

[​IMG]
    I also did the alternator and suspension top hats grey to match the gearbox.

[​IMG]
    Got paint on the coiled wire, should be ok right?

[​IMG]
    Looks better than black, it should all come together once my grey Samco hoses arrive.

Does anyone know where I can get a new or reconditioned genuine starter motor?

[​IMG]
    It's looking a bit messy at the moment but it will get detailed once complete.

8. SimplyEd New Member

Incredible. Great stuff - keep it coming!

9. Burtis Forum Member

Amazing job going on here. Wish I had half the energy/skill wouldn't have to pay a garage a million gold bars to fix bits!

10. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Apologies for the lack of updates. I will take a load of pictures and report back soon.

[​IMG]

11. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Progress on the golf has been steady, I just haven't put any time into taking pics or updating my thread :(

[​IMG]
    A lot has happened since the last update, its mechanically now finished and it passed its MOT this morning.

Its now insured and MOT'd, just waiting for the system to let me tax it online so I can drive it! The short drive to the MOT station was very enjoyable, the sound and power of the ABF is addictive.

I will update soon with lots of pictures.

[​IMG]
    Cheeky shot of the underside.

12. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

You have a fuse to your starter motor ? Really ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

The fuse for the main feed from the battery so protects everything, not just the starter. It's 250amp so would take a serious issue to blow and I only used it as it came with the BMW wiring.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its a good idea when you install the battery in the boot, if it was to say short out in a crash it would mean a red hot chunky wire running the entire length of the car, under and near all kinds of flamible/toxic bits n bobs. at least in a std vw its only a short length in the engine bay, and not much that is flamible around it.

mk4 golf fuse the alternator cable and main interior lives too, but not the starter still

15. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Not a lot has changed in the last couple of months. I've just been enjoying the car tbh!

I've just bought some 15 inch BBS RAs which should be on next week (also got some cheap T1Rs too).

The only major issue I have at the moment is water leaks! It wasn't this bad last time it was on the road. Both front footwells are soaked along with the passenger rear footwell. Were talking an inch of water after a down pour :(

The driverside leak is running down the inside of the wheel well but I can't see where its coming from. Its not from in the scuttle area.

[​IMG]
    The passenger side leak was caused by me fitting an aftermarket SWG smooth scuttle. Water was running off it and dripping directly into the blower leaf catcher! I didn't want to lose the smooth scuttle as it looked good so I made a quick 'roof' for the leaf catcher.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It works well, water now runs off and out of the drainage hole as it should.

[​IMG]
    I've also got the VDO gauges wired up. I stripped the original loom down of any bits I didn't need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    stripped down to 5 wires. +, -, lighting loom +, oil pressure signal, oil temp signal.

[​IMG]
    All working fine. Not fitted yet though as all three bulbs were blown. I will source some green bulbs to match the green LED conversion kit I have for the rest of the dash.

blis and beetie like this.
  16. blis Forum Member

Awesome!

Keep an eye out for the clutch cable, I notice you using the self adjusting type, they're evil.

17. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

A few people have recommended using a manual adjustment clutch cable.

I've had the auto one since I bought the car a few years ago and never had an issue, what exactly goes wrong with the auto ones?

18. blis Forum Member

I didn't get enough of a chance to completely study the one on our car, it was swapped out early on. From memory, it bayonets together with spring and ball bearinga to help lock, not sure if something stripped inside or just wore thin, couldn't get ours to lock into place and no obvious way of locking it off either. Like many others, I suppose it's too difficult a solution for such a simple task and easier to replace.

19. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

Updates will be slow for the next couple of months but I have big plans for this car. For now im just doing small/ cheap mods.

[​IMG]
    All three bulbs in the VDOs were blown.

[​IMG]
    I wanted the gauges to be green to match the cluster and other lights. I bought some green bulbs which turned out to be UV blue/purple and also some green SMDs which were perfect.

[​IMG]
    Loom ready to go.

[​IMG]
    I also bought a SMD LED dash conversion kit from CrazyLEDs. The cluster bulbs needed a leg cut off of them to get them to fit. The heater panel had to be hacked apart to access the bulb holder but it was easy.

[​IMG]
    So much brighter and greener than the original bulb.

[​IMG]
    Im really happy with how this has turned out. It doesn't photograph well on my old iPhone 4S but the light spread is a lot better in person. The original bulb bearly lit 1/3 of the heater panel.

[​IMG]
    Green SMDs in cluster. All of the lights are still dimable using the switch on the dash. The kit also came with SMDs for the dash switches but I will install these on spare switches as I know they can be quite fragile to disassemble.

[​IMG]
    I also picked up some great condition RA's cheap.

[​IMG]

Finite likes this.
  20. rye1991 Paid Member Paid Member

I've stopped driving the Golf now as its getting quite dirty underneath. This gives me a couple of months to work on it whilst its Winter.

[​IMG]
    Current Winter Wheel setup - 14" BBS RA on the rear and 15" cheap wheels up front as the 14s obviously don't clear the brakes anymore.

[​IMG]
    15" RAs with 195/50/15 Toyo T1Rs. Not exactly a winter tyre but I don't drive it when its Icy anyway.

[​IMG]
    I didn't even think to check if they would clear the G60/ VR6 brakes, which they don't.

I don't want to run spacers but apparently 16v pads give you enough clearance? The other options is to find a way to wear down the VR6 pads quickly.