8v digi to ABF conversion?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Michael8v, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Michael8v Forum Member

Thats cracking mate, im sure i saw that topic but i must have missed the 8v digifant bit! thanks ive taken that all in now makes it look even easier.

Just 1 question... i see that engine has the immobiliser, what differences are there with an engine without the immob? also, i may sound thick here, but whats a PCM? it will come to me when somebody says it lol.

2. Michael8v Forum Member

Also quick question, will i need an 8v clutch or 16v clutch? im assuming ill need the 8v because ill be using my original flywheel.

just seems theres alot more performance clutches out there for the 16v.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are minor differences with the loom on earlier models, but only real difference is the immobilisor part. you can plug early ecu to late loom & vice-versa after trimming a locking tab off.
    you need to match your clutch to the gearbox you're using, boggo sachs clutch kit will be plenty good enough unless you go mega power!

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hahaha. Me and my acronyms. PCM = Power Control Module.
    Engine w/o immobilizer just have the data line for diagnostics go straight to the PCM and not though an key intercept. So you do not need a transponder key and loop.

5. Toyotec

As in Dav's 8v car you can use the clutch to match your original gearbox. Flywheel does not matter.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

What he said - but make sure you use a good quality clutch, and that the flywheel surface is in decent condition, to make sure you get a good grip. If it's a bit worn and shiny, give it a rub with rough sandpaper to get a good 'key' on it.

In my view, Sachs clutch kits are slightly better than the LUK ones. Others may disagree though.

7. Michael8v Forum Member

Cheers guys, will get a new sachs clutch then when i do this conversion.. wont be for a good few months like... but i want to have a firm set of info for when i can do it.

cheers

8. rubjonny

I'm a fan of the sachs kits from AVS, as they come with the 6 pressure plate bolts, new release plate & spring, plus clutch spline grease :thumbup:

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

just quickly - how much harder is it doing the swap from an 8v rather than a 16v mk2?

10. Toyotec

Not very hard if your car is a GTi digifant 2, you plan to keep the VW digifant 3/3.2 control system on ABF lump and you are reusing the original 020 gearbox.
    On Dav's red MK2 in the "How to ABF MK2 thread" the hardest thing was finding a Seat airbox and configuring the immobliser. I say hard but only from a time point of view as this car was done on evenings after work. That car is still around doing daily duties of work and back.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

so if the doner car is digi 2, and you use the ECU from the ABF lump which is 3/3.2.

The ABF ecu is immobilised so was thinking maybe easier to use the mk2 ecu/loom etc?

12. rubjonny

dead easy as said, fuel lines plug right into the mk2 pipes, just need to get a 16v zaust system for it

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I would prefer to use the abf ecu/looms, but my car has a laser line immobiliser, so would need to transfer all that across as well wouldn't i?

Could I buy a non immob abf ecu/loom or are they too hard to get hold of?

cheers

14. Toyotec

Don't even have to get a 16v exhaust either. The 8v one is very much up to the job.

15. rubjonny

personally id go with a 16v one, since vw thought it was a good idea

16. Toyotec

The engine immobilizer part should not have anything to do with your aftermarket alarm. This part of engine controls post 94. Usually you take the small transponder out of the supplied key and stick to the inductive loop and tuck away. You orginal key is not disturbed nor is the ignition switch.

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

will the downpipe fit onto the abf manifold ok? so theoretically i could fit the engine and worry about the exhaust at a later date etc?

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

mine has the weird three pin thing, so I have an alarm fob (knackered) and also a little alarm key that I push into a thing on the dash.... I thought this was the immob or is it just a back up for the alarm etc?

19. Toyotec

And I understand VW's ethos.
    16v engines or multivalve engines tend to have a extra silencer to reduce the noise from valve flutter. This is when you compare them to their 8v conterparts. VW increased the overall diameter 1/4 in ( in theory) and intergrated and extra silencer in the system counter exhaust gas back pressure and the noise. MK2 16Vs actually are quiter than the boomier 8v. This is because of the 4 box system.
    Removing this may increase boom slighty and reduce exhaust back pressure.
    I have fitted systems actually less diameter than 8v systems but only have 2 boxes with very little change to drive feel. These systems did have proper manderel bends though. On the red car in the how to thread, the OEM 8v, 3 box system, was used and I can say it is a very quick car indeed.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  20. Toyotec

Yes. Everything fits. You will need to weld in a bung for the lambda probe some where on the downpipe merger piont.